Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2019, 12:39 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,695,460 times

Advertisements

What a bizarre thread.

I love Northern MN and there are many great towns up there that I'd recommend to the right people. This OP is a genuine enigma to me. I think some of it might be related to her being foreign and therefore lacking in experience and information about the USA. Any rural parts of this country will have some issues with meth and with firearms in 2019, unfortunately, but to depict N MN as some zombie-infested crimescape is very out of line with reality as I've experienced it for many years!

Now, if one were to complain about the eternal winter or the mosquitoes... no arguments here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2019, 08:01 AM

5,752 posts, read 2,779,493 times
Tell you what, I lived in MN for 50 or so years till moving to CA. Many of those years I lived in Minneapolis. Not the metro area, but in the actual city. My experience with crime was having my car broken into twice. Once by kids who took my sunglasses and spare change in my cup holder, and once by pros who hit a dozen or so vehicles at the parking lot of a boat ramp. To say crime is anything but rare in small towns in N MN is patently untrue.

Old 10-27-2019, 08:12 PM

705 posts, read 504,502 times
I like the Lake Bronson area. I live across the Red River in ND. The Minnesota side to me has a different vib. Nothing wrong, just different than North Dakota. More trees and water in MN. One thing I’ve noticed reading the Grand Forks newspaper, is the Indians on the Rez and every where else close to the Rez sure raise hell. Stabbings, murder, fights, kidnapping, ect. Constant. So I think if the OP would avoid being anyplace in MN within say 100 miles or so of the Rez, Minnesota is a pretty safe place. And ND is pretty quiet too.

Old 03-29-2023, 10:31 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slamont61 View Post
Maybe not as far north as you'd like but North Central MN has plenty of these towns that check all the boxes.

Park Rapids and the surrounding area would fit the bill and there are dozens of small towns all around, each with it's own personality. Crime I'd consider to be on the low side for all of these.
Any real cons to Park Rapids? I'm considering a job in the general area.

Old 03-29-2023, 05:38 PM

4,361 posts, read 6,528,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Oh like anywhere there are "cons". Distance to a major airport, if travel is a concern. If there are serious health issues, we're an hour and a half to Fargo, the closest Level 1 trauma center, less if by helicopter. If you need to visit Home Depot or Menards, that too is going to be an hour drive. For larger stores, Walmart is what we have, otherwise - the hourish drive to Detroit Lakes or Bemidji.

If it's peace of mind and relaxation you desire, Park Rapids is just the place for you.

Old 03-29-2023, 06:41 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slamont61 View Post
Oh like anywhere there are "cons". Distance to a major airport, if travel is a concern. If there are serious health issues, we're an hour and a half to Fargo, the closest Level 1 trauma center, less if by helicopter. If you need to visit Home Depot or Menards, that too is going to be an hour drive. For larger stores, Walmart is what we have, otherwise - the hourish drive to Detroit Lakes or Bemidji.

If it's peace of mind and relaxation you desire, Park Rapids is just the place for you.
Thanks, sounds mostly exactly what I'm looking for, although not too familiar with the immediate area. I've driven through Fergus Falls and Detroit Lakes a bit. I'm quite a bit more familiar with the Northwoods of Wisconsin, so assume the lake activities and overall traffic will be much greater during the summer months- similar to areas to the east. Lakes and woods trails are big positives of the region. I've lived in Wisconsin and New Hampshire before, so winter wouldn't be overly surprising, but it would likely be several notches colder overall.

Old 03-31-2023, 07:13 AM

4,361 posts, read 6,528,616 times
Quote:
Thanks, sounds mostly exactly what I'm looking for, although not too familiar with the immediate area. I've driven through Fergus Falls and Detroit Lakes a bit. I'm quite a bit more familiar with the Northwoods of Wisconsin, so assume the lake activities and overall traffic will be much greater during the summer months- similar to areas to the east. Lakes and woods trails are big positives of the region. I've lived in Wisconsin and New Hampshire before, so winter wouldn't be overly surprising, but it would likely be several notches colder overall.
Detroit Lakes is a 45 minute drive from PR, so it's my go-to for Menards runs. Lakes and trails are as good as it can be. And yes, there are some extra folks up here in summer time but traffic is only affected by the Friday north bounders and Sunday south bounders as you see Trailers Campers Boats and what not...

Sure winter can be harsh but the cold snaps are fairly short (trips to -20) and we get plenty of snow. That's just how it goes.

Old 04-05-2023, 01:00 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,087,543 times
Quote:
One major "con" you might consider for Park Rapids is the enormous influx of people in the summer months. This is prime "Up North" cabin country, and scores of Minnesotans head up to their cabins in the area on weekends. Everything will be busy and overrun with tourists in the summer.

If you can deal with that reality, then I personally don't see any other cons other than what someone else said earlier. It's a very pretty area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota