Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2019, 01:45 PM

20 posts, read 27,793 times

Advertisements

I'm considering a move from Colorado Springs, CO to Rochester, MN within the next two years.
Can you tell me what the Rochester area is like?

Looking for info on the following:
  • Topography - is the land flat? Hills & valleys?
  • Quality of High Schools - Looking for Great Schools rating of 8+
  • Weather - How cold? Windy? Length of summer?
  • Bugs - Bird sized mosquitos?
  • Culture - Museums, current events, etc.
  • Outdoor Activities - Camping? Remote areas for hiking/fishing?
  • Gardening - Can I grow flowers or vegetables?

Any other comments or information you have would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2019, 08:16 AM

616 posts, read 342,646 times
Rochester MN is a great place to raise a family. The economy is primarily dominated by Medical, Education and Hospitality. There is ongoing growth due to the city wanting to be a "medical destination".....look it up on the google. Typically have been plenty of jobs in medicine, education, construction, and unskilled labor. The schools in the Rochester area have good ratings, but the "bedroom" communities within 15 miles have excellent ratings and have often had to close open enrollment when full. I know both ColoSprgs and Rochester and would say that Rochester and the surrounding areas have a slightly lower cost of living and wages that are slightly higher. Sadly Rochester has not been as supportive with big name music artists, but big names are always playing in the Twin Cities or Lacrosse, which are only a tad over an hour drive away. The restaurant scene has dramatically improved over the last 10 years, many trendy eats now available. Haven't kept up, but in the best had ranked very high in Best Small Cities.

Old 05-04-2019, 10:12 AM

128 posts, read 113,933 times
I'm about an hour away from Rochester, closer to being south of the Twin Cities. I don't get over to Rochester as much as I used to but I can tell you what HappyHappy001 said is very true. Its a very nice community.

Couple observations to your questions:

Weather? Well winters can be cold....its Minnesota afterall. The I-90 cooridor gets windy too.

Outdoor activities? I'm not much of an outdoorsman but did stay at a Minnesota state park along the MN/WI border a couple years ago. There are some very picturesque areas around Rochester.

Topography? Well its not as mountainous as Colorado thats for sure. There are some more flat areas but its more west of Rochester.

The bedroom communities around Rochester should NOT be overlooked. Byron comes to mind...right on Highway 14 and just a short drive from Rochester.

I remember reading a few years ago about the Mayo Clinic sinking billions into the infrastructure and local budget. Thats Billions, not millions. This community is great...but its mainly due to it being a "medical destination" as HappyHappy001 said.

Good luck with your choice. I've been in MN for my whole life...and retire in 4 years. I'm moving away eventually...but I'd never tell people not to move here. Its actually a great state. Just be prepared to pay high taxes all around. This is my issue with the state. The taxes are getting out of hand (my personal opinion).

Old 05-10-2019, 07:09 PM

39 posts, read 109,706 times
I'm surprised you would not want to move to Grand Junction area. We moved there in 1993 from Rochester and later to Fruita, CO. We raised our family in Rochester where they continued to live. That meant making trips back to MN to visit etc. After 25 yrs and the fact the we are getting old we wanted to be closer to family so we moved back to Rochester in August of 2018. If our family had moved out to Western Colorado we would still be there.

We should have waited another year. This past winter was the most horrible I can remember and it still does not want to warm up like it should. The weather has changed since 25 years ago when we lived here.

Rochester has changed a lot too. Not the small town like it used to be but don't know of any other place in the state where we would rather be.
There is an influx of people moving here. Byron is growing too. Byron has a real estate tax that is double what Rochester has. Lot of new homes being constructed with lots of choices of where to live. Stay away from the SE part of the city.

Real estate tax here is double of what it was in Western CO. Groceries are much higher. Medical care was good in W. CO but with the Mayo Clinic here I think it is better.
GOOD LUCK.

Old 05-25-2019, 02:04 PM

2 posts, read 1,931 times
Default Rochester -- great town

We rented there when we moved back to MN, and probably should have stayed there for our MN stint. Rochester is a great town, a bit hilly, Costco, Trader Joe's, plus the usual national chains; generally one of most things on the north side, one on the south. Snowy, yes. Coldish, yes, but warming. Of course, mosquitos, but not as bad as if you were actually on a lake. Very professional residents since a large group works either for Mayo or 3M, so food and ammenities are a notch higher all around. Someday, there will be a light rail up to Mpls-St Paul. If we were to ever move back to MN again, it would definitely be in Rochester or nearby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota