Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2019, 04:49 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,886,399 times

Advertisements

I have a family member with a condition that qualifies for medical marijuana. I don't want to fight about about. Everything else has been tried and its an intense situation. I am googling it but nothing seems clear. His doctor isn't certified and doesn't plan to be but thinks its a very good idea. But cant point us in the direction of a doctor who can/will certify it.

Can someone help me figure out the process? Its so different then getting a regular medication. We are in Rochester but will travel if need be.

*This is not a debate. This is a family member looking for some hope for another family member who hasn't had success with main stream treatments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2019, 01:29 PM

2,071 posts, read 6,696,707 times
Im sorry to hear this. It’s proven to be helpful for many health conditions. I’m surprised that Minnesota hasn’t went recreational with cannabis yet. I’m in Nevada where it’s legal medically & recreational. I know many who use cannabis for cancer, seizures, colitis, multiple sclerosis, arthritis & much more.

I met many families that relocated to Nevada so that they could treat their children who suffer from seizures.

Try calling Minnesota medical dispensaries. They should be able to point you in the right direction.

And of course this is no debate. Alcohol which is obviously very harmful is legal. More & more states are legalizing marijuana. Don’t give up.

Good luck

Old 02-10-2019, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positiveone View Post
Im sorry to hear this. It’s proven to be helpful for many health conditions. I’m surprised that Minnesota hasn’t went recreational with cannabis yet. I’m in Nevada where it’s legal medically & recreational. I know many who use cannabis for cancer, seizures, colitis, multiple sclerosis, arthritis & much more.

I met many families that relocated to Nevada so that they could treat their children who suffer from seizures.

Try calling Minnesota medical dispensaries. They should be able to point you in the right direction.

And of course this is no debate. Alcohol which is obviously very harmful is legal. More & more states are legalizing marijuana. Don’t give up.

Good luck
Thanks so much. I have heard that it will likely be fully legal in 2022. Right now its for a fairly short list of illnesses. Its also very expensive, but it will be worth it if it helps. That is too long to wait for my family member. But...well not to debate, but yeah, its getting to be about time.

Old 02-10-2019, 02:54 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,711,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Thanks so much. I have heard that it will likely be fully legal in 2022. Right now its for a fairly short list of illnesses. Its also very expensive, but it will be worth it if it helps. That is too long to wait for my family member. But...well not to debate, but yeah, its getting to be about time.
Since you decided to expand the thread beyond the inquiry into medical marijuana and into the wisdom of allowing recreational use, it seems fair to note that this does not come without risks.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.7359d25bb1ad

On the original topic, I have nothing to add but wish you well in your search.

Old 02-10-2019, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
Since you decided to expand the thread beyond the inquiry into medical marijuana and into the wisdom of allowing recreational use, it seems fair to note that this does not come without risks.

Well thanks for jumping in and making my family member's medical crisis political. I agreed, it should be legal and accessible. But...I saw you from the corner of my eye waiting for you.

This is about medical use of MJ. That is ALL it is. Stop trying to get political to get it blocked.

Old 02-10-2019, 03:57 PM

2,071 posts, read 6,696,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post

Everything has risks. Everything we eat, drink, smoke. You name it. Some things much more damaging too. Look at obesity amongst children these days. Sugar is much more harmful then cannabis. As are cigarettes & alcohol. Yet there bars on almost every city street corner.

Minnesota should take a good look at Portland, Henderson Nevada, Colorado Springs colorado. Large cities with many recreational dispensaries. The population has increased in those cities. But so has job growth. Cannabis brings in huge tax revenue. Tax money that could help curb the high taxes of Minnesota.

Yet I respect your opinion. That’s the great country we live in. I can’t be angry with you or anyone who opposes cannabis or anything else for that matter.

In the end we are all one.

Have a great day to all

Old 02-10-2019, 04:47 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,711,998 times
Quote:
Well thanks for jumping in and making my family member's medical crisis political. I agreed, it should be legal and accessible. But...I saw you from the corner of my eye waiting for you.

This is about medical use of MJ. That is ALL it is. Stop trying to get political to get it blocked.
1. You were the one who expanded the subject to include recreational use. I wouldn’t have commented if had left the comments in post #2 without comment, but you chose to endorse those comments and expanded the thread beyond your stated original intent.

2. This is not a political issue. Many people on the right and the left endorse recreational use, but there is a growing body of scientific evidence that recreational marijuana use carries significant health risks.

3. I do not oppose the use of marijuana for medical purposes and had no intent on commenting on its use for medical purposes.

4. I wish I could help you in that regard but I don’t have anything to share on the topic.

Good luck in your search and I wish your relative well.

Last edited by Glenfield; 02-10-2019 at 05:18 PM..

Old 02-11-2019, 09:26 AM

5,341 posts, read 14,140,726 times
Quote:
I have a family member with a condition that qualifies for medical marijuana. I don't want to fight about about. Everything else has been tried and its an intense situation. I am googling it but nothing seems clear. His doctor isn't certified and doesn't plan to be but thinks its a very good idea. But cant point us in the direction of a doctor who can/will certify it.

Can someone help me figure out the process? Its so different then getting a regular medication. We are in Rochester but will travel if need be.

*This is not a debate. This is a family member looking for some hope for another family member who hasn't had success with main stream treatments.
Not all Doctors can prescribe it? I did not realize that.

Old 02-11-2019, 12:46 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,373,570 times
Not sure it’s relevant but there are places in MN that sell CBD products, including a kiosk vendor on the first floor of the Mall of America. Obviously this isn’t prescription strength stuff but the products are touted for their medicinal effects.

Old 02-11-2019, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheGuy View Post
Not all Doctors can prescribe it? I did not realize that.
It isn't a prescription. You have to get a diagnosis from a physician that you have one of the handful of diseases it helps to treat, then a certification from a doctor who is able to "certify" that this will help you medically and they will follow you (they have to register with the state and is a bit intimidating to many docs, so not many do it and the ones who do, often don't advertise it). Then you register with your certification through the state. Then you are able to go to a dispensary who will choose the right formulation for you. Then you can buy it, out of pocket. And it is quite costly. All of this is out of pocket. But worth it if it helps your loved one, I think.

It is nothing smokable, either pills or drops for under the tongue or oil (not sure what that is for...maybe to be rubbed into skin?).

It is quite a lot and not easy. I called around today and we might have to travel a couple hours for the certification, but there is a dispensary in our town. I am going to call tomorrow and talk to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota