Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 11:43 AM

54 posts, read 50,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
It's true. Minnesota has a high tax burden - somewhere around 11%.

What the dim-witted are too clueless to realize is... well, basic math. You see, Minnesota is a top state for income.

https://www.kff.org/other/state-indi...annual-income/

What this means - and this gets really complicated, so you'll need at least a middle school education in a state that actually believes in funding public schools - is that Minnesota's tax rate of 11% x its relatively high income (far, far higher than those low-tax paradises like Florida and Texas) results in more after-tax money that in those other states. Again, math. It's tricky. Like, numbers and multiplication and percentages. Real Einstein stuff.

Wait - I can hear the cries of 'cost of living!' being shrieked out as I type. Sorry, Minnesota's COL is almost identical to the national average (actually, it's just slightly below).

https://www.missourieconomy.org/indi...ost_of_living/

I know that it must be upsetting to those steeped in Ayn Rand fantasies and supply-side voodoo that a state that taxes its citizens more than other states actually has higher incomes, better infrastructure, and pretty much better everything, than the crapholes that tax less. Because this flies in the face of wingnut economic dogma. Too bad those touting such drivel never actually look at the real world to see of their theories actually pan out (pssst! they don't!).

Need I mention that Minnesota is a donor state? That's right - Minnesota is one of those states that sends more $ to DC than it receives in return, so that feeble (low tax) states that can't fend for themselves (Alabama, Indiana, North Dakota, the usual suspects) don't go belly up. It's true:
https://wallethub.com/edu/states-mos...vernment/2700/

We already have places like Mississippi and West Virginia. If you want to live in a place that sucks like they do, why don't you move there rather than try and make Minnesota suck as much as they do?
I mean wow. I think you have to realize that people are bringing their points of view from their particular perspective. If someone is coming from California, they might think the tax burden in MN is relatively little compared to where they lived. So, I don't think it's necessary to put yourself on a pedestal and criticize other people's input here. I think MN is actually around 12th in terms of income. Bringing all of those other factors into it is somewhat going to depend on the community you live in. If you live in MN and come from a rural community you will generally find your tax burden to be lower, than say Minneapolis, where there are a lot of services that have to be paid for. Yea, you can quote some statistics somewhere to support your position, but you can find a lot of variables in those statistics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2018, 12:02 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,045,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaGonzales View Post
Minnesota....the land of taxes and where nothing is allowed. It's funny that the blue states have the highest state and local taxes. Why is that? Hmmm. Just sayin'. (I'm an Independent in case someone is going to call me out for being a Republican)

Anyway, I was glad to leave Minnesota, it's taxes and ridiculous politics.
what's with the politics talk? not allowed, someone might tell

Old 01-12-2018, 02:15 PM

54 posts, read 50,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
what's with the politics talk? not allowed, someone might tell
Nothing wrong with what I said. It was a valid point based upon 40 years of my living in Minnesota, and based upon my perspective. I did not like the upward tax burden and I did not like MN politics. Maybe someone can try and read into and make some kind of assumption as to what I mean by politics. But, politics is more than MN just being a blue state. I still love MN, but more as a visitor. I'll keep bringing my money with me and spend some when in MN. The governor can figure out how to spend it - (Now that was a joke!) But, I don't troll around trying to pounce on other's POV and try to find disagreement; I only offer my perspective to the OP. That's all it is...a perspective.

Old 01-15-2018, 01:24 PM

3,976 posts, read 1,989,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
I will say, I used to naively think that retirees only moved due to the weather. It wasn't until my father retired that he explained to me the financial decisions in front of him. Imagine being faced with the decision to have a $80K/year pension taxed or not taxed depending on where you live. Obviously there are so many other factors at play, first of which is usually proximity to family.
There is more to it than that. Minnesota has a large population of part time, snow bird type retirees. I almost became one of them, until I looked into the tax situation.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/travisb.../#5c140f876c20

I grew up in Minnesota, and was looking at buying a lot on Knife lake (north of Mora) that I could put a small home/cabin or trailer on where my wife and I would spend the warmer part of the year, but intended to be legal Arizona residents. Looking into it further, it became apparent that Minnesota wants to reach into the pockets of part time residents and charge them income tax (includes pension and SS) at full time resident rates. That would certianly need to be factored into any retirement finance planning. I decided against it.

Old 01-18-2018, 08:19 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,444,722 times
Quote:
Nothing wrong with what I said. It was a valid point based upon 40 years of my living in Minnesota, and based upon my perspective. I did not like the upward tax burden and I did not like MN politics. Maybe someone can try and read into and make some kind of assumption as to what I mean by politics. But, politics is more than MN just being a blue state. I still love MN, but more as a visitor. I'll keep bringing my money with me and spend some when in MN. The governor can figure out how to spend it - (Now that was a joke!) But, I don't troll around trying to pounce on other's POV and try to find disagreement; I only offer my perspective to the OP. That's all it is...a perspective.
Lisa has obviously never gazed upon Ghengis' free flowing fountain of not so subtle sarcasm.

Old 01-19-2018, 02:51 PM

280 posts, read 473,160 times
Not retireee tax friendly. Especially those who've done well. But great state to earn income and eventual early retirement.

Old 01-20-2018, 06:10 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,204,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maui-intoxicated View Post
Not retireee tax friendly. Especially those who've done well. But great state to earn income and eventual early retirement.
Who would want to retire here anyway? The weather itself should drive retirees away.

Old 12-10-2019, 01:50 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,455,143 times
Quote:
Minnesota....the land of taxes and where nothing is allowed. It's funny that the blue states have the highest state and local taxes. Why is that? Hmmm. Just sayin'. (I'm an Independent in case someone is going to call me out for being a Republican)

Anyway, I was glad to leave Minnesota, it's taxes and ridiculous politics.
Yea we pay more taxes, but unlike Iowa, our highways are salted and plowed in a reasonable amount of time.

Old 12-10-2019, 04:36 PM

5,752 posts, read 2,780,562 times
As someone who spent all their life in MN, save the last 4 years, I can say that the income taxes in CA are maybe a little less because there are way fewer tax brackets here. My car plates are about the same but sales and gas taxes are higher and as someone already posted, you can see that you get a lot more for your dollar in MN. To be fair though, i don't live in one of the big cities in CA so I may not see the impact of many of those expenditures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota