Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 09:42 PM

1,083 posts, read 1,035,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
It's true. Minnesota has a high tax burden - somewhere around 11%.

What the dim-witted are too clueless to realize is... well, basic math. You see, Minnesota is a top state for income.

https://www.kff.org/other/state-indi...annual-income/

What this means - and this gets really complicated, so you'll need at least a middle school education in a state that actually believes in funding public schools - is that Minnesota's tax rate of 11% x its relatively high income (far, far higher than those low-tax paradises like Florida and Texas) results in more after-tax money that in those other states. Again, math. It's tricky. Like, numbers and multiplication and percentages. Real Einstein stuff.

Wait - I can hear the cries of 'cost of living!' being shrieked out as I type. Sorry, Minnesota's COL is almost identical to the national average (actually, it's just slightly below).

I think it is reasonable to segregate Minnesota into areas within the Minneapolis-St.
Paul metro area and the rest of the state. Bulk averages are not especially useful for communication affordability (i.e. here in Duluth, homes are very affordable and the amenities are pretty nice.)

https://www.missourieconomy.org/indi...ost_of_living/

I know that it must be upsetting to those steeped in Ayn Rand fantasies and supply-side voodoo that a state that taxes its citizens more than other states actually has higher incomes, better infrastructure, and pretty much better everything, than the crapholes that tax less. Because this flies in the face of wingnut economic dogma. Too bad those touting such drivel never actually look at the real world to see of their theories actually pan out (pssst! they don't!).

Need I mention that Minnesota is a donor state? That's right - Minnesota is one of those states that sends more $ to DC than it receives in return, so that feeble (low tax) states that can't fend for themselves (Alabama, Indiana, North Dakota, the usual suspects) don't go belly up. It's true:
https://wallethub.com/edu/states-mos...vernment/2700/

I agree with the sentiment, but understand that the state is not literally sending more money to the federal government than it receives. Minnesotans are paying more in federal income tax than the state of Minnesota is receiving in the way of federal spending. No material difference, but you should be clear.

We already have places like Mississippi and West Virginia. If you want to live in a place that sucks like they do, why don't you move there rather than try and make Minnesota suck as much as they do?
Overall, good and accurate post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2018, 11:11 AM

733 posts, read 760,141 times
You DO get a lot for your taxes. You look at the parks, transportation, arts, sports, schools (preschool on up), healthcare, county services, etc., and you get a lot more than most states. Sure you could take anything from that list and nitpick about it, but there's a reason Minnesota makes the top-5 in an awful lot of positive national lists.

Also agree with another poster about salaries. You do an even job comparison in many states with lower taxes, and you'll find salaries trend lower in those states as well.

Old 01-11-2018, 11:29 AM

3,146 posts, read 4,103,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
It's true. Minnesota has a high tax burden - somewhere around 11%.

What the dim-witted are too clueless to realize is... well, basic math. You see, Minnesota is a top state for income.

https://www.kff.org/other/state-indi...annual-income/

What this means - and this gets really complicated, so you'll need at least a middle school education in a state that actually believes in funding public schools - is that Minnesota's tax rate of 11% x its relatively high income (far, far higher than those low-tax paradises like Florida and Texas) results in more after-tax money that in those other states. Again, math. It's tricky. Like, numbers and multiplication and percentages. Real Einstein stuff.

Wait - I can hear the cries of 'cost of living!' being shrieked out as I type. Sorry, Minnesota's COL is almost identical to the national average (actually, it's just slightly below).

https://www.missourieconomy.org/indi...ost_of_living/

I know that it must be upsetting to those steeped in Ayn Rand fantasies and supply-side voodoo that a state that taxes its citizens more than other states actually has higher incomes, better infrastructure, and pretty much better everything, than the crapholes that tax less. Because this flies in the face of wingnut economic dogma. Too bad those touting such drivel never actually look at the real world to see of their theories actually pan out (pssst! they don't!).

Need I mention that Minnesota is a donor state? That's right - Minnesota is one of those states that sends more $ to DC than it receives in return, so that feeble (low tax) states that can't fend for themselves (Alabama, Indiana, North Dakota, the usual suspects) don't go belly up. It's true:
https://wallethub.com/edu/states-mos...vernment/2700/

We already have places like Mississippi and West Virginia. If you want to live in a place that sucks like they do, why don't you move there rather than try and make Minnesota suck as much as they do?
If you exclude the putdowns and insults in your post, then what is left is pretty accurate and encapsulates the reasons that the Minneapolis-Saint Paul metropolitan area is on our short list of places we are considering for retirement in a few years.

Old 01-11-2018, 12:55 PM

3,715 posts, read 3,697,411 times
I will say, I used to naively think that retirees only moved due to the weather. It wasn't until my father retired that he explained to me the financial decisions in front of him. Imagine being faced with the decision to have a $80K/year pension taxed or not taxed depending on where you live. Obviously there are so many other factors at play, first of which is usually proximity to family.

Old 01-11-2018, 02:28 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,723,822 times
I actually think the douchebags are in the Metro. Small town folks know how to take care of eachother. If you can't make it in small town MN you best stay in the city and suck up all the wonderful programs the rest of us are paying for...Some of the previous post are what will drive this state red sooner or later..............

Old 01-12-2018, 09:08 AM

2,578 posts, read 2,068,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMN View Post
You DO get a lot for your taxes. You look at the parks, transportation, arts, sports, schools (preschool on up), healthcare, county services, etc., and you get a lot more than most states. Sure you could take anything from that list and nitpick about it, but there's a reason Minnesota makes the top-5 in an awful lot of positive national lists.

Also agree with another poster about salaries. You do an even job comparison in many states with lower taxes, and you'll find salaries trend lower in those states as well.
The state park system in this state is really, really nice. As are many of the locally-supported parks (county, city, etc.).

Old 01-12-2018, 09:35 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,444,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodburyWoody View Post
The state park system in this state is really, really nice. As are many of the locally-supported parks (county, city, etc.).
By far the best I've ever seen. So good it substantially upgrades ones quality of life should they choose to utilize it (them).

Old 01-12-2018, 10:01 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,444,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
If you exclude the putdowns and insults in your post, then what is left is pretty accurate.
I thought the terms for CD didn't allow that kind of nonsense? Yet that guy runs amok with it. The Minnesota moderators are either asleep or turning a blind eye.

Old 01-12-2018, 10:10 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,045,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyryztoll View Post
I thought the terms for CD didn't allow that kind of nonsense? Yet that guy runs amok with it. The Minnesota moderators are either asleep or turning a blind eye.
oh-oh, against the TOS to discuss Moderators' actions or inactions

Old 01-12-2018, 11:37 AM

190 posts, read 167,483 times
Think Hulsker is responding to post #2 more than the other comments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota