Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 09:00 PM

15 posts, read 68,214 times

Advertisements

Thanks everyone! If this board is any indication, then I think Minnesota will be a very good thing for us! Thanks for making it a little less scary and now I am actually getting excited about the idea of moving! See ya in may or june!

Last edited by pagenunn; 11-16-2006 at 09:02 PM.. Reason: misspelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2006, 09:46 PM

213 posts, read 1,088,086 times
Default Living Word

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagenunn View Post
We are also looking for a good church. We like contemporary music, casual dress kind of churches. We don't mind big churches, as long as bible studies are available. Anyone know anything about Living Word church in Brooklyn Park?
I have a friend who attends--and LOVES--Living Word church in Brooklyn Park. He talks about it all the time. I won't go into details since anything I could say would be secondhand, but I will say that the place is growing rapidly, and they aren't hurting for money! The pastor is very charismatic, from what I hear.

Personally, from what I know of the church, it wouldn't be a good fit for me, but it apparently is a good fit for a lot of people.

Old 11-17-2006, 05:29 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,351,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert P Stewart View Post
Hey Golfgal - when the weather is nice, I walk the steps over by Vittorio's - you know - the steps that go all the way up the hill. We've currently got the Vittorio's building for sale - I have no idea what will go in there next, but hopefully something that downtown Stillwater needs (like another freakin' coffee shop!!!). I was thinking of buying the Dreamcoat cafe building and doing something interesting. I dunno...

But back to Pagenunn's inquiry - south of the river is best in my humble opinion. Schools, access to the cities, scenery, everything.

Robert
When I was in Stillwater, downtown was a downtown with clothing stores, drug stores, etc. The antique shops are fun but not all that helpful for residents. It is sad to see some of the long time Stillwater institutions like Vittorio's go out.

We moved across town when I was in college and I got to walk up and down those steps pretty much every day to get to work. The REALLY nice thing about how Stillwater was, I was often walking those steps alone, at or 10-11:00 at night without a care in the world!

Old 11-17-2006, 08:36 AM

1 posts, read 3,200 times
Hi! Welcome to Minnesota. We are a bi-racial family. We have lived in several suburbs. We started in Eden Prairie, moved to both Burnsville and Shakopee and are back in Eden Prairie. The housing is not all that affordable although it is coming down. However, we chose to return because of the incredible schools. They stress embracing diversity and were one of the first districts to implement an anti-bullying program. EP is becoming more diverse. Burnsville and Bloomington also have good schools and are more diverse. Be sure to check out school websites and city websites. They will help you get a good idea about the cities. Lakeville is also a popular suburb to build in.
Hope that was helpful!

Old 11-17-2006, 12:48 PM

7 posts, read 45,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert P Stewart View Post
Austin is down there a ways, and the goods & services are not great. I drive down to Faribault once in a blue moon because they have a somali grocer where I can buy whole spices CHEAP (its called the Banadhir, I think). If you see Ali behind the counter, tell him I said 'eskawaran'.

I think they turn the electricity off at 8PM in Austin, not sure. If you're into small town life and don't require all the cities can offer, Austin may be a good bet.
Austin cetainly does not shut down at 8pm, obviously you h ave never been here. It is a very nice, clean, and safe place for anyone to raise kids, has plenty of employment, and housing is very cheap. Plus if you look at the records, the schools are the best in the state.

Old 11-17-2006, 06:48 PM

Location: Lakeville, MN - 4th nicest place in the nation to raise a family
285 posts, read 1,179,509 times
Default Sarcasm and humor...

I don't think anyone here would think that Austin shuts down at 8PM. That was a joke. But the lights *will* dim when you plug in your electric toothbrush...

Robert

Old 11-18-2006, 10:12 AM

25 posts, read 26,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emeraldhopes View Post
Austin cetainly does not shut down at 8pm, obviously you h ave never been here. It is a very nice, clean, and safe place for anyone to raise kids, has plenty of employment, and housing is very cheap. Plus if you look at the records, the schools are the best in the state.
Plenty of employment meaning that you can work at Hormel OR you can work at Hormel.

Old 12-20-2006, 07:43 AM

1 posts, read 3,203 times
Default mn nice? is it really nice?

I just moved here from Idaho and I have a thing or two to say about Mn nice...it doesnt count if its not sincere. Its patronizing and an insult to my intelligence. I live in a typical smaller town where the service sucks, the drivers are definitely personality void and rude, and the neighbors are all shut-ins. While I agree that it is better to have fake/patronizing/passive-aggressive/devoid of personality/dear God did she make a joke nice than SoCal selfish or East Coast in your face, Ill take sincere in Idaho any day!

Old 12-26-2006, 06:50 PM

131 posts, read 616,556 times
Default Living Word and MN Nice

I'm not a member but the Living Word Church is huge. I think they probably have the biggest congregation in the metro area and as stated before they do not seem to be hurting for money. I also know that they have another church in Brainerd (2 hours north of The Cities). I think the pastor has a home in that area.

Now regarding MN nice. I don't know what media person started this catch phrase but people here aren't any nicer than any other area that I've been in and I've lived here all my life. People here will generally help you out to a certain point. ie: Yes I'll give you some antifreeze for your overheating car or sand for traction but NO you can't borrow my jumper cables.

Old 12-27-2006, 01:05 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,390,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suble
EP is becoming more diverse. Burnsville and Bloomington also have good schools and are more diverse.
Yeah, pretty much every city in the country is "becoming more diverse." EP, Burnsville and Bloomington have a LONG way to go before they could legitimately be considered diverse.

2000 census information:

Eden Prairie
White 90.7%
Black 2.3%
Asian 4.8%
Hispanic 1.6%

Burnsville
White 87.5%
Black 4.1%
Asian 4.1%
Hispanic 2.9%

Bloomington
White 88.1%
Black 3.4%
Asian 5.1%
Hispanic 2.7%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota