Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 05:36 PM

15 posts, read 68,193 times

Advertisements

Sorry, I have one more question. What cities are considered uptown? Thanks again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2006, 06:04 PM

20 posts, read 124,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pagenunn View Post
Thank you everyone, I was a little scared but I feel much more at ease now. I am actually excited about the move! We have been looking in Apple Valley, Burnsville, Rosemount as far as housing prices and size. It seems that school dist 196 is a selling point. It is mentioned alot in the descriptions. Any input? And 1 more thing, do minnesotans hate the Minnesota nice campaign or embrace it? Just wondering?
As someone who went to school in Minnesota for four years, I can say that folks there embrace the whole Minnesota nice thing. In my opinion probably a little too much, but then I am someone who doesn't like to make a point of saying something over and over. The people are on the whole very nice, but then again everyone is the upper Midwest is the same way.

Old 11-15-2006, 06:32 PM

213 posts, read 1,087,919 times
Default Uptown

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagenunn View Post
Sorry, I have one more question. What cities are considered uptown? Thanks again
Uptown is an area in the southwest part of Minneapolis--around Lake Calhoun.

As for the Minnesota Nice thing--yeah, Minnesotans embrace it. People here are generally nice, but not often embracing. I mean, people will say Hi and act friendly on the surface, but they are slow to invite "new folks" over or get too chummy.

On one hand, this is good--there's little harassment and people are, well, nice. On the other hand, it can sometimes feel lonely. (I'm not from here, but I've lived here over 20 years and my spouse is Minnesotan.)

Old 11-16-2006, 05:17 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,338,491 times
I think the Minnesota nice really depends on the person/area. Some areas are going to be better then others when it comes to that and often it will simply depend on your individual neighbors. We are new to the district 196 are and have felt very welcomed. The schools are diverse and the kids are very accepting. As for picking an individual school, what are your kids' interests? That will be a good way to narrow down where you want to live.

Old 11-16-2006, 09:24 AM

15 posts, read 68,193 times
My oldest son is 10, somewhat into sports, not real competive. Youngest is 7 and he is in gifted programs here. He also likes sports. Both are involved in cub scouts. Oldest is webelo and has been in it since 1st grade. We are also looking for a good church. We like contemporary music, casual dress kind of churches. We don't mind big churches, as long as bible studies are available. Anyone know anything about Living Word church in Brooklyn Park? It seems similiar to what we have at home. How long would it take to drive to brooklyn Park from Eagen or Apple Valley area?

Old 11-16-2006, 09:52 AM

Location: Lakeville, MN - 4th nicest place in the nation to raise a family
285 posts, read 1,179,307 times
Our kids are in the 196 school disctrict and we all love it. They've struck a great balance between academics, sports, and the arts. Some districts are really good at one thing, but 196 has it all.

I love the Minnesota-nice campaign. For the most part, its true. Jerks are everywhere and you even run into them up here. But I've lived all over the country - and I *chose* the Twin Cities area.

I actually heard something funny the other day when one of my co-workers said that 'Minnesota-nice' is a code word for 'passive-aggressive'. He was having a bad day - which happens up here from time to time as well!

Old 11-16-2006, 10:01 AM

Default Brooklyn Park from Eagan/Apple Valley

Ideally, you're looking at 45 minutes drive. I'm assuming a Sunday morning drive (little traffic) and no snow.

My wife and I drive 35 minutes from Lakeville to Trinity Luthern in Stillwater. It is a big church, but it is very friendly and has quality bible studies.

There are several excellent churches in the area. My wife and I are pretty non-denominational, and settled at a Luthern chruch simply because we felt at home there with the teachings. We have an early traditional service and an 11:00AM contemporary service. When we wake up (actually when the kids wake up) determines which one we go to.

Robert

Old 11-16-2006, 04:05 PM

102 posts, read 622,390 times
In general, Minnesotans are more friendly than people in the east or west coast areas. I have not seen much racism in the metro, but there's always a few morons here and there who are racist. Usually, the people who don't like black people are those who don't know black people. I think the areas you listed are pretty cool, average Minneapolis suburbs. I wouldn't live in the city of Minneapolis. You would be sacrificing security and good schools just for the most diverse town. A suburb that is pretty diverse, and not too bad is Brooklyn Park, but the south end of it has a bit more crime, which still isn't that much. If you absolutely need a large percentage of non-whites, Minnesota would not be your best bet. Minnesota is mostly white. But, at my Minneapolis suburb high school I would say about 1 out of every 50 kids is black. I have a black friend at my school who was even born in Africa, and he doesn't run into many problems. Minnesota's schools are very good. Basically, the only schools in the Twin Cities metro that aren't that good are in the cities of Minneapolis and St. Paul. I think you'll be fine.

Old 11-16-2006, 07:30 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,338,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert P Stewart View Post
Ideally, you're looking at 45 minutes drive. I'm assuming a Sunday morning drive (little traffic) and no snow.

My wife and I drive 35 minutes from Lakeville to Trinity Luthern in Stillwater. It is a big church, but it is very friendly and has quality bible studies.

There are several excellent churches in the area. My wife and I are pretty non-denominational, and settled at a Luthern chruch simply because we felt at home there with the teachings. We have an early traditional service and an 11:00AM contemporary service. When we wake up (actually when the kids wake up) determines which one we go to.

Robert
I grew up right up the street from Trinity Lutheran in Stillwater!!! Before they put on the big addition toward 4th Street they had the BEST hills, one being natural then the one they created plowing the parking lot. We spent HOURS sliding there and at the Episcopal Church up the street a bit!

OP, there is a pretty large non-denominational church in Rosemount--the name escapes me now--Grace Life or something like that. I don't know anything about it however. Driving to the northern part of the cities would be a haul every Sunday and worse if you do a weeknight class of any kind.

Old 11-16-2006, 08:39 PM

Default Stillwater, Trinity, and fun!

Hey Golfgal - when the weather is nice, I walk the steps over by Vittorio's - you know - the steps that go all the way up the hill. We've currently got the Vittorio's building for sale - I have no idea what will go in there next, but hopefully something that downtown Stillwater needs (like another freakin' coffee shop!!!). I was thinking of buying the Dreamcoat cafe building and doing something interesting. I dunno...

But back to Pagenunn's inquiry - south of the river is best in my humble opinion. Schools, access to the cities, scenery, everything.

Robert
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota