Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 12:17 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,819,211 times

Advertisements

That is true, but the xenophobic reactions to Muslim immigrants that we see today, are similar to those faced by other immigrant groups in the past. The Irish were drunk, violent papists who were going to destroy Anglo American culture. The Germans were dangerous radical leftists, or had a stronger allegiance to the Kaiser than to America. Italians were a bunch of greasy bomb throwing Anarchists or Mafioso criminals, they were a degraded race that weren't even white, and often snuck into the country when they were denied entrance at Ellis Island (WOP was an acronym for without papers). The Greeks and Lebanese were the same but they weren't here in large enough numbers to have national hate aimed at them. Jews were, well, Jews. And so it goes. Modern xenophobia towards immigrants is just the latest chapter in an old story. The red scare and anarchist witch hunts of the late 19th and early 20th century were animated by the same feelings as the current focus on radical Islam. In both cases, small numbers of bad actors caused entire communities to be painted with a broad, racist, brush. Hopefully Minnesota will have no Somali Saccos and Vanzettis in our era.

There is no real difference between the Somalis of today and the ancestors of the bigots who are posting in this thread. Normally I try to post in a polite, reasoned and level headed manner on the internet but the sort of attitudes you see from some in this thread are despicable, and anti-American and deserve to be called what they are.

Last edited by Drewcifer; 10-02-2014 at 12:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2014, 04:35 PM

1,666 posts, read 1,020,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
My point being to recognize that all immigrants cannot be lumped into the same category as PDXNative2Houston had done.
The era, the political atmosphere, the culture and habits, and other factors all play a part in how they are received.

". . .EVERY IMMIGRANT GROUP THAT HAS COME HERE has been persecuted and accused of being unloyal criminals, leeching off the system."

It's more complicated than that.
You're missing the big picture and focusing on minute details which still do not detract from the point. I concur with Drewcifer.

Old 10-02-2014, 07:56 PM

12,064 posts, read 8,464,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXNative2Houston View Post
You're missing the big picture and focusing on minute details which still do not detract from the point. I concur with Drewcifer.
That makes two of you. I'm outvoted!

Old 10-02-2014, 09:12 PM

171 posts, read 195,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
2nd Minnesota man reportedly killed fighting for ISIS in Syria - KMSP-TV

I think its now time we start saying "stay home" to refugees from the middle east/north africa who want to come here. its pretty scary how these people become radicalized, even more scary knowing these are fellow Minnesotans.
I'd be more worried about coyotes if I was you.

Old 10-02-2014, 09:20 PM

1,055 posts, read 1,873,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
My point being to recognize that all immigrants cannot be lumped into the same category as PDXNative2Houston had done.
The era, the political atmosphere, the culture and habits, and other factors all play a part in how they are received.

". . .EVERY IMMIGRANT GROUP THAT HAS COME HERE has been persecuted and accused of being unloyal criminals, leeching off the system."

It's more complicated than that.
It is more complicated then that and also as simple as that. Every immigrant group of large numbers throughout the history of this country has had challenges to the group and the larger communities that absorbed them. That is just life.

I could not bring myself to read this thread since I first noticed it until tonight. I was truly sickened by the nasty (not MN nice!) commentary of some of the initial comments. I could hear the echo of all the immigrant stories of my grandparents and extended family told throughout my childhood. The settling of the border country up north, the logging, the miners of the Iron Range, the farmers, all of the immigrant groups that came to this country, that struggled, that fought, that suffered for their dreams, their hopes for their families in this new country. It took courage every day-to transplant yourself in a new country, new culture, new language, to adapt, to watch your home countries traditions be lost, changed or absorbed into the new one until the final graft was made. Yet every single one of these groups made us who we are today. They made us stronger. They made us better.

Courtesies of a small and trivial character are the ones which strike deepest in the gratefully and appreciating heart. Henry Clay

Old 10-02-2014, 11:28 PM

416 posts, read 561,114 times
Some people have dark hearts and simply don't wish other peoples well. Small minds have short memories.

Old 10-06-2014, 09:13 PM

33 posts, read 82,760 times
I see a bunch of people here living in denial.

Old 10-07-2014, 10:50 AM

171 posts, read 195,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbaknife View Post
I see a bunch of people here living in denial.
^ Republican.

Old 10-07-2014, 04:59 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,743,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
That is true, but the xenophobic reactions to Muslim immigrants that we see today, are similar to those faced by other immigrant groups in the past. The Irish were drunk, violent papists who were going to destroy Anglo American culture. The Germans were dangerous radical leftists, or had a stronger allegiance to the Kaiser than to America. Italians were a bunch of greasy bomb throwing Anarchists or Mafioso criminals, they were a degraded race that weren't even white, and often snuck into the country when they were denied entrance at Ellis Island (WOP was an acronym for without papers). The Greeks and Lebanese were the same but they weren't here in large enough numbers to have national hate aimed at them. Jews were, well, Jews. And so it goes. Modern xenophobia towards immigrants is just the latest chapter in an old story. The red scare and anarchist witch hunts of the late 19th and early 20th century were animated by the same feelings as the current focus on radical Islam. In both cases, small numbers of bad actors caused entire communities to be painted with a broad, racist, brush. Hopefully Minnesota will have no Somali Saccos and Vanzettis in our era.

There is no real difference between the Somalis of today and the ancestors of the bigots who are posting in this thread. Normally I try to post in a polite, reasoned and level headed manner on the internet but the sort of attitudes you see from some in this thread are despicable, and anti-American and deserve to be called what they are.
Except my ancestors weren't tying bombs to themselves to kill other Americans in the name of Religion.....The worst thing they did was make you lutefisk!

Old 10-07-2014, 06:29 PM

871 posts, read 1,091,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Except my ancestors weren't tying bombs to themselves to kill other Americans in the name of Religion.....The worst thing they did was make you lutefisk!
This makes as much sense as blaming all Scandinavians for Anders Breivik.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota