Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 07:03 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,150,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wushuliu View Post
I love that the descendants of immigrants who more than likely came to this country to escape religious/state-sponsored persecution are freaking about other immigrants coming to the country now for the same reasons.
not quite the same, pretty sure that the new immigrants must be coming here in order to be persecuted for their religion
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2014, 09:44 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,822,835 times
The next thing you they will be blowing up the Haymarket and we will have to send them all back to Germany, er, Somalia...

Old 09-30-2014, 11:07 PM

1 posts, read 1,920 times
Please get the snow out your head !!! It's so easy to blame people of a different background for your problems !!! My second week in minnesota and I have never been so proud to say I'm from California !!!! Minnesota shouldn't be a state it should be a planet !!! You people are so stupid, can't drive strange looking people I have ever met !! You read four different newspapers just to learn what the rest of the world is up to... Maybe you people all have one big permanent brain freeze from all your snow !!! If wasn't for all the wonderful culture in the twin cities who would come visit minnesota !!! News flash people every where else in the world people are laughing at you !!! I stop at fast food the other day this guy (white) gave me my food and I swear he looked like something from that movie men in black.. While you people are waiting for all the beautiful culture to leave. Maybe you people should find your space ship !!! Have a great long winter and try not to get a to big of a brain freeze !!! I love California !!! I wanted to share a few site I found, that talks about your great state !!! You can see it's not just me. http://ihateminnesota.blogspot.com/h.../dp/1575870223 Hating Minnesota

Old 09-30-2014, 11:33 PM

148 posts, read 149,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom007cl View Post
Please get the snow out your head !!! It's so easy to blame people of a different background for your problems !!! My second week in minnesota and I have never been so proud to say I'm from California !!!! Minnesota shouldn't be a state it should be a planet !!! You people are so stupid, can't drive strange looking people I have ever met !! You read four different newspapers just to learn what the rest of the world is up to... Maybe you people all have one big permanent brain freeze from all your snow !!! If wasn't for all the wonderful culture in the twin cities who would come visit minnesota !!! News flash people every where else in the world people are laughing at you !!! I stop at fast food the other day this guy (white) gave me my food and I swear he looked like something from that movie men in black.. While you people are waiting for all the beautiful culture to leave. Maybe you people should find your space ship !!! Have a great long winter and try not to get a to big of a brain freeze !!! I love California !!! I wanted to share a few site I found, that talks about your great state !!! You can see it's not just me.
DO I SMELL A NEW TOURISM SLOGAN?!?

I'll put it in the "maybe" pile.

(Also, as someone who moved to California about a month ago...I promise they're not all this weird. Most of them like Minnesota, actually, but that's because I haven't told them about lutefisk yet.)

Old 10-01-2014, 11:57 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,547,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom007cl View Post
Please get the snow out your head !!! It's so easy to blame people of a different background for your problems !!! My second week in minnesota and I have never been so proud to say I'm from California !!!! Minnesota shouldn't be a state it should be a planet !!! You people are so stupid, can't drive strange looking people I have ever met !! You read four different newspapers just to learn what the rest of the world is up to... Maybe you people all have one big permanent brain freeze from all your snow !!! If wasn't for all the wonderful culture in the twin cities who would come visit minnesota !!! News flash people every where else in the world people are laughing at you !!! I stop at fast food the other day this guy (white) gave me my food and I swear he looked like something from that movie men in black.. While you people are waiting for all the beautiful culture to leave. Maybe you people should find your space ship !!! Have a great long winter and try not to get a to big of a brain freeze !!! I love California !!! I wanted to share a few site I found, that talks about your great state !!! You can see it's not just me. http://ihateminnesota.blogspot.com/h.../dp/1575870223 Hating Minnesota
Implying i care what people around the world think of Minnesota?

Old 10-01-2014, 12:03 PM

416 posts, read 561,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Dempsey's Left Foot View Post
DO I SMELL A NEW TOURISM SLOGAN?!?

I'll put it in the "maybe" pile.

(Also, as someone who moved to California about a month ago...I promise they're not all this weird. Most of them like Minnesota, actually, but that's because I haven't told them about lutefisk yet.)
ok, that pic was hilarious. you win the internet for a day.

Old 10-01-2014, 12:18 PM

1,666 posts, read 1,021,704 times
Blah blah blah. In case you didn't know EVERY IMMIGRANT GROUP THAT HAS COME HERE has been persecuted and accused of being unloyal criminals, leeching off of the system. Guess what happens? In 2-3 generations they melt in to the society, their views become more moderate and for the most part they become productive members of society.

The above went for the Irish, the Germans, the Chinese, the Japanese, the Italians and so forth. LOL @ the people claiming hispanic people are ruining small towns. If it wasn't for the brunt of their labor, you would either not have your farming products or have them at a much greater cost if farmers had to actually pay a living wage.

Old 10-02-2014, 09:39 AM

12,099 posts, read 8,494,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXNative2Houston View Post
Blah blah blah. In case you didn't know EVERY IMMIGRANT GROUP THAT HAS COME HERE has been persecuted and accused of being unloyal criminals, leeching off of the system. Guess what happens? In 2-3 generations they melt in to the society, their views become more moderate and for the most part they become productive members of society.
I wonder exactly to what degree that is true for the Scandinavian immigrants to MN. I know that there was some derision regarding them being "dumb," an insistence that they speak English and perhaps in some parts of the state exclusion depending upon which established group was in the majority.

I'm unsure how they could have been accused of "leeching off the system" because there was no system in place to help them other than the groups they formed on their own.

Old 10-02-2014, 10:31 AM

1,971 posts, read 3,051,586 times
Scandinavians were considered dumb laborers, not criminals.
Aside from escaping the problems of their home countries, most were enticed by the prospect of free land under the Homestead Act.

Old 10-02-2014, 11:08 AM

12,099 posts, read 8,494,592 times
My point being to recognize that all immigrants cannot be lumped into the same category as PDXNative2Houston had done.
The era, the political atmosphere, the culture and habits, and other factors all play a part in how they are received.

". . .EVERY IMMIGRANT GROUP THAT HAS COME HERE has been persecuted and accused of being unloyal criminals, leeching off the system."

It's more complicated than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota