Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 09:17 PM

416 posts, read 559,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjam1 View Post
Are the Twin Cities even that "dangerous"?
Surprisingly it kind of is more than you would think. What I find hilarious is that some folks straight away point at certain 'demographics' when it comes to crime and yet when I lived in MSP I was most often creeped out by all the 'Fargo'-like crimes that were always happening in suburbs or outlying areas. Reminded me of Castle Rock in Stephen King novels ("We *all* float down here..."). North Minneapolis gets all the press but there's all kinds of crime going on. Just like any other city. People see what they want to see and certain news angles are constantly emphasized over others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2014, 11:18 PM

1,971 posts, read 3,042,765 times
Outside of the metro, the next most crime is in Duluth.

Old 04-26-2014, 11:28 PM

1,971 posts, read 3,042,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjam1 View Post
Are the Twin Cities even that "dangerous"?
Minneapolis has always had a higher crime rate than people think. In the 1990s it was known as "Murderapolis." The violent crime rate is higher than a lot of places you would think would be worse: Vegas, New Orleans, Phoenix, LA, NYC, Long Beach, Albuquerque, OKC, etc. It has been ranked around 30th in the country for crime for the past 20 years.

Last edited by rzzz; 04-26-2014 at 11:47 PM..

Old 04-27-2014, 12:07 AM

15,408 posts, read 6,192,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post
Minneapolis has always had a higher crime rate than people think. In the 1990s it was known as "Murderapolis." The violent crime rate is higher than a lot of places you would think would be worse: Vegas, New Orleans, Phoenix, LA, NYC, Long Beach, Albuquerque, OKC, etc. It has been ranked around 30th in the country for crime for the past 20 years.
Well, you should at least remove New Orleans from that list. BTW, the murder rate in Minneapolis has dropped dramatically since that mid-90's era. When I saw New Orleans on the list, I was suspicious. It has had serious crime issues for decades.

New Orleans had 193 murders last year (.53 per 1,000 people) while Minneapolis had 39 (.10 per 1,000). Minneapolis has a slightly higher population in its city proper too. Neighborhood Scout is the source for the info. It could be that Minneapolis has more property crime, but that can be easily replaced (or not) and life goes on. Murder is final for the victim and a much more serious crime. I may check on a few other cities you listed time permitting in the next week or so.

BTW, slot machines and blackjack and poker tables commit the most theft in Vegas. LOL.

Old 04-27-2014, 11:43 AM

98 posts, read 199,450 times
I'd say the West End in Duluth; the area between 18th Ave W (the Seaway Hotel where the cops were shot), the gas stations on 27th Ave W & I-35 where all the hookers stand around at night pacing between there and the Salvation Army, and ending right around the Greyhound Bus Depot/Denfeld High School on 45th Ave W and Grand where all the homeless from the bus station sit around at Arby's all night. Duluth, or rather the western half of Duluth has seen a huge influx of people from other metro areas where there's no affordable housing or social services left...which has turned the west end into an easy place to get robbed, or walk into a drug deal, or have to put up with heroin addicts begging for money outside the Seaway Hotel.

It's really gotten bad over the last few years. And the worst part is, cost of living just goes up the moment you leave Duluth, which means these folks aren't going to leave.

Old 04-27-2014, 01:23 PM

2,105 posts, read 4,597,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntlFalls56649 View Post
I'd say the West End in Duluth; the area between 18th Ave W (the Seaway Hotel where the cops were shot), the gas stations on 27th Ave W & I-35 where all the hookers stand around at night pacing between there and the Salvation Army, and ending right around the Greyhound Bus Depot/Denfeld High School on 45th Ave W and Grand where all the homeless from the bus station sit around at Arby's all night. Duluth, or rather the western half of Duluth has seen a huge influx of people from other metro areas where there's no affordable housing or social services left...which has turned the west end into an easy place to get robbed, or walk into a drug deal, or have to put up with heroin addicts begging for money outside the Seaway Hotel.

It's really gotten bad over the last few years. And the worst part is, cost of living just goes up the moment you leave Duluth, which means these folks aren't going to leave.
Arbys is not open all night and all the homeless from the bus station? All the hookers stand around at night pacing back and forth between there and the Salvation Army?

YOU must have a lot of experience with hookers if you can tell what one looks like

Why do you or any other poster on here find it absolutely need to put out such hate toward other people and other towns that people call home.

It must make it easier for you too sleep at night

Why insult the state and other peoples towns in such a rude manner

People live in Duluth and love living up here for a reason

Old 04-27-2014, 01:38 PM

1,107 posts, read 2,278,042 times
demtion35-lighten up please. they are not "insulting the state and other peoples towns in a rude manner." crime is what it is. also one does not need to have alot of experience with hookers to know what one looks like. personally, i live in Mpls-St. Paul and I know there is crime here. I also love it here. Does that mean I am insulted because its true? No, its part of life. chill out and don't be so defensive. It's a waste of energy.

Old 04-27-2014, 03:05 PM

This is last year's homicide data from the Neighborhood Scout website comparing Duluth to three other MN cities comparable to it in population.

Duluth pop. 86,830: 2 murders (.02/1,000 people)

Bloomington pop. 84,596: 0 murders

Brooklyn Park pop. 77,346: 4 murders (.05/1,000 people)

Rochester, MN pop. 108,582: 2 murders (.02/1,000 people)

Bloomington and Brooklyn Park are within the TC metro and Duluth and Rochester are outside of it (most of you know this, but for the few that may not).

The zero murders for Bloomington was a surprise (the good type). I remember that news story of Minneapolis mayoral candidate Mark Andrew who got seriously assaulted at MOA by two violent teenagers that wanted to steal his iphone, but he did thankfully survive.

Brooklyn Park is the least safe of these four cities.

Anyways, compared to Brooklyn Park especially and even Rochester, there should be no major concerns crime-wise in Duluth. Again, I did not do a check of the property crimes. Get your bike stolen, it will inconvenience you for awhile, but you will be fine. Losing your life is final.

Rochester is consistently praised as a safe community. Both Duluth and Rochester had two murders (granted Rochester is a little larger). So worries about Duluth violent crime are just that...worries and not the reality. Almost everyone agrees the condition of many roads suck there and the coldest winter days as well. Those should be the two most negative factors to prepare for. Safety from crime is actually a strength there.

Last edited by chessgeek; 04-27-2014 at 03:54 PM.. Reason: Added a word.

Old 04-27-2014, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntlFalls56649 View Post

Do you want to check cost of living data for Superior, WI just across the bridge or other western WI towns? How about the Iron Range cities not too far from Duluth? International Falls? Cost of living therefore does not necessarily always go up if you leave Duluth.

Last edited by chessgeek; 04-27-2014 at 04:16 PM.. Reason: Added a few words.

Old 04-27-2014, 08:28 PM

987 posts, read 3,817,383 times
Don't drink and drive. Don't deal in illegal drugs.

That'll lower your risk of being killed by about 98%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota