Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 12:59 PM

480 posts, read 845,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
That's one view, but I think most people would agree that there are significant changes ahead.
I've noticed an interesting pattern in the way people talk about the ACA.

People who already self-insured, or who paid for their own benefits, talk about it in terms of the change for them. People who run businesses talk about the impact on their business. People with employer-provided benefits, or young people who can remain on their parents' healthcare plans, seem to feel that not much is changing.

I wonder if part of the issue here is the nature of the legislation? We tend to be anxious about what happens next, and even with some confidence about the costs, it's difficult to predict a lot of the ACA's effects on the availability and quality of care.

In some ways, it's like going to a prix fixe restaurant where you know what you're going to be paying, but you have no idea if the soup is coming out of a can, or what the table service will be like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2013, 05:20 PM

2,860 posts, read 3,388,997 times
Obamacare is going to implode. They're already saying this in Washington. How are you going to fine people who are indigent? lol That's the whole point, right? To fund poor people? LLLLLOLOOOLO

Old 09-18-2013, 06:45 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,328,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
Obamacare is going to implode. They're already saying this in Washington. How are you going to fine people who are indigent? lol That's the whole point, right? To fund poor people? LLLLLOLOOOLO
No, the point is to give everyone access to health insurance, poor, rich and everything in between. Indigent people have always had access to Medicaid because they have no income and it would be free. Signing up for it, however, probably doesn't happen. It's the low wage earners that make too much for Medicaid but not enough to afford health insurance that will benefit the most. Then those that haven't been able to get private coverage because of a previous condition. MN doesn't have a huge problem with that because of how the individual health insurance plan laws are written here but other states do. Also, keep in mind that only 15% of the country does not have health insurance right now and about 1/2 of those CHOOSE not to take coverage for one reason or another---that population is heavy on the twenty somethings that have jobs and have access to health insurance but don't want to pay for it.

Old 09-19-2013, 02:28 AM

They're still going to fine people who don't want to pay for it. NOT going to work. Not even close.

Old 09-19-2013, 02:47 AM

Quote:
They're still going to fine people who don't want to pay for it. NOT going to work. Not even close.
Why isn't it going to work?

Old 09-19-2013, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Why isn't it going to work?
Because poor people won't pay the fine. I guarantee it won't work. If I'm still posting on here in a couple years I'll bet it will be shot down.

Old 09-19-2013, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Because poor people won't pay the fine. I guarantee it won't work. If I'm still posting on here in a couple years I'll bet it will be shot down.
Poor people won't have to pay a fine because they will get coverage for free?

Do you have any specific information that leads you to believe this won't work....keeping in mind that most of the ACA is already in place and working?

Old 09-19-2013, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Poor people won't have to pay a fine because they will get coverage for free?

Do you have any specific information that leads you to believe this won't work....keeping in mind that most of the ACA is already in place and working?
No, they don't have to pay, but when their credit starts getting ruined it will not be good. I don't know golfgal, who knows how it will work, but I know Obama doesn't think it's going to work. He even said himself it's going to be a tough sell.

Old 09-19-2013, 12:38 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,297,747 times
I'll be honest.. I wish we had a universal health care system like Europe has, where they regulate the costs of care and prescription drugs along with tort reform to reduce lawsuits and of course sealing up the borders so we don't have to treat illegal immigrants in the ERs...

I don't like how people are basically chained to a full time job to get health care in this country.. it would be nice to be able to quit my job with no hassle, retain insurance, be able to drive around the country and find a new place to live, without worrying that I might run up a $50k medical bill for an ER visit and have to hide all my assets away in bullion buried in the ground to keep from losing the little I've managed to save away during my life.

I know a lot of people are against government run programs and indeed it seems like the US government does a pretty bad job at running programs efficiently compared to Europeans but it's a better alternative than the for profit system we have now, in my opinion. Health care is very expensive here, much of it tied up in paperwork.

Old 09-19-2013, 03:15 PM

480 posts, read 845,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
I'll be honest.. I wish we had a universal health care system like Europe has, where they regulate the costs of care and prescription drugs along with tort reform to reduce lawsuits and of course sealing up the borders so we don't have to treat illegal immigrants in the ERs...
This is really well-said, Stockwiz. I'm with you.

I wonder if ACA supporters realize the limitations on damages in countries that more closely manage their healthcare costs? Here's the Library of Congress report - scroll down and read the Liability section. (I'll cheat for you: they limit pain and suffering damages to C$100,000.)

Medical Malpractice Liability: Canada | Law Library of Congress

Without significant tort reform, medical insurance reform won't work.

In other news, if you write a law saying that anyone doing more than 30 hours/week has to be covered under company-provided health insurance, employers will create more part-time jobs than full-time jobs. Oh, right, we already know that. Here's a link to the Boston Globe, which can't easily be described as a hotbed of conservative activism: New jobs disproportionately low paying or part time - Business - The Boston Globe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota