Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 08:43 PM

7 posts, read 20,570 times

Advertisements

I live in Los Angeles, and I'm planning to move to Minnesota but I'm very nervous moving, because I never live in cold place and I dont know any body there.But my son is 12 and he want to move to Minnesota and to continue playing Ice Hockey unfortunately here in California Ice hockey is not in level like is in east coast.Any suggestion where to look great school for Ice Hockey ? And can you tell how long is the winter? I really appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2012, 09:24 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,726,665 times
Shattuck-St. Mary's. It's in Faribault.

Old 03-30-2012, 10:26 PM

Thank for responding, but what city you suggest to live that is close to Shattuck St Mary"s.Is Faribault is nice city to live?

Old 03-31-2012, 07:33 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,287,454 times
If you are going to move to MN, he won't need to go to a boarding school to play hockey. Almost every high school in MN has a hockey team, especially in the Twin Cities metro area.

If he wants to go to a boarding school, Shattuck is really the only real boarding school that is a good hockey school. Faribault is ok, not a great town but not horrible either. Is there a reason you specifically want a boarding school?

Old 03-31-2012, 08:42 PM

Thank you for responding, the reason I said boarding school is because has more intense program in Ice Hockey.But could you please or somebody how reading this tell me
What are the good areas to live around Fairbault City ?
How long is the winter?

Last edited by joss3; 03-31-2012 at 09:58 PM..

Old 03-31-2012, 10:20 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,726,665 times
Are you yourself also planning on living in Faribault? If you're sending your child to boarding school, you could just stay in LA and send him to school in MN. That's the benefit of going the boarding school route.

Shattuck is known for its hockey program, but you are not correct in saying that boarding schools have more intense programs in hockey than do non-boarding schools. There are certainly many good public and private schools in Minnesota that have stellar ice hockey programs, assuming your child is good enough to play. If not, there are plenty of other hockey options around, even if it turns out that he's not NFL-bound. If you are dead-set on relocating, you'll have far more options to choose from if you are open to more than just one boarding school.

Old 03-31-2012, 10:50 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,039,039 times
really?...I mean, really?

(joss...josh)

Old 04-01-2012, 01:22 AM

Sorry, I don't know that much about Ice Hockey,but as a wife I have to do everything, find place to live, book a hotel etc.I need help and advise. I don't play Hockey or skate myself,but I love to see the games. I'm just a runner but my husband and my son love Ice Hockey. My son stared skating at age 3 years old (he is 12 now), but in California don't have a good program,sorry to said that, but is true, you spend so much $ and you end up playing with kind don't have great skills and they are AA or AAA. I'm willing to move, so my son can play real Hockey.My husband and my son mention Shattuck St Mary's,but if he goes there, he returns to sleep at home.But if you or someone can help me to find great program of Hockey I really appreciate .(I don't want to live in Fairbault, maybe close by)

Last edited by joss3; 04-01-2012 at 01:34 AM..

Old 04-01-2012, 06:29 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,287,454 times
MN hockey is much different than hockey pretty much anywhere else. What you will be looking for at his age is a good travel program and an area that traditionally has better hockey teams--there are a 100 different areas in MN that you could live to accomplish this, and not have to pay tuition to a private school, which is why you don't need to send your child to Shattuck and live in Faribault.

My guess is you would be happier somewhere in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area. Tell us what kind of area you like-urban, suburban, rural and we can point you in the right direction for which schools you should be considering and then various travel programs he could join.

Old 04-01-2012, 08:09 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,076,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joss3 View Post
I live in Los Angeles, and I'm planning to move to Minnesota but I'm very nervous moving, because I never live in cold place and I dont know any body there.But my son is 12 and he want to move to Minnesota and to continue playing Ice Hockey unfortunately here in California Ice hockey is not in level like is in east coast.Any suggestion where to look great school for Ice Hockey ? And can you tell how long is the winter? I really appreciate it.
As other have said, most of the better hockey programs in the state are the various feeder programs for the public school systems. One could argue that many of not most east coast teams are not up to MN standards.

I posted this in another thread regarding last year's national high school rankings. Not definitive, but it gives you some idea of the quality of the hockey programs in the state of MN, and it will also provide a list of school systems in the state of MN that have very good programs. Most of the listed schools are ranked highly almost every year. A few of the listed schools are private. Most are not.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/22821421-post30.html

Wintertime usually lasts from the end of October until the end of March, but it will vary tremendously from year to year. Some years there might be 20" or more of snow on the ground in January, while other years will have none.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota