Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 01:47 PM

7 posts, read 20,618 times

Advertisements

First, thank you for all your help everyone, in conclusion I'm not going to take my son to boarding school because it dosen't make sense if he is going to sleep at home, but now, I need to find out:
Which High School has the highest level of play in Hockey or great reputation.
Also I'm looking to live in a suburban area any suggestion? Thank you so much to all you !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 02:28 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,719,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joss3 View Post
Which High School has the highest level of play in Hockey or great reputation.
You pretty clearly don't know much about hockey, and you say that your son and husband do, so why not leave that part of it up to them? You should focus your search on the type of area and house you want to live in, and leave the hockey part out of the equation. No matter where you decide to live, the program in that area will be plenty challenging for your son. Besides, we have open enrollment here, so if your kid is really that good, he can can go to basically whatever public school he wants to anyway.

Old 04-02-2012, 04:01 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,100,956 times
Just in case the original poster doesn't realize what Open Enrollment is, the following web may be helpful:

http://education.state.mn.us/MDE/Stu...ice/index.html

In a nutshell, you aren't necessarily limited to the schools in your local area.

Old 04-02-2012, 05:20 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,338,491 times
Long term, Edina has one of the best programs in the metro area. Teams from northern MN like Warroad, Eveleth and Roseau, however, are probably "the best" in the state.

This is a link to the state high school league website: Welcome to the Minnesota State High School League

On the hockey page here, there will be a "yearbook" and you can see past champions and the most state tournament appearances. It also gives you a run down of which teams have made the state tournament and how many times. I think looking at that you will see what we are trying to tell you, MN hockey just isn't like anywhere else and even being on a mediocre team is going to get you notoriety if you are a top player on that team. Also, the MN state Hockey tournaments are the largest high school tournaments anywhere for any sport with over 100,000 people attending. It's a big deal here.

Old 04-02-2012, 06:06 PM

Thank you so much !!!! golfgal, rcsteiner,uptown and everyone who respond.I be there in the month of July for first time in MN, with all this information this will help me a lot Thanks again !!

Old 04-02-2012, 06:56 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,719,682 times
Though the northern MN schools that golfgal mentioned have a storied past, they have largely been surpassed in modern times by the private schools and metro area suburbs which can draw on a potentially larger talent pool than the northern schools who are confined somewhat by geography. Here are the final 2012 rankings for each class. Class AA schools are basically those with a larger enrollment than class A.
FollowThePuck.com

Old 04-03-2012, 07:59 AM

989 posts, read 2,963,643 times
Probably makes sense to get some assessment of the boy's skill level before making any huge life changes. Perhaps a good path for that would be to send him to a hockey camp - there are many of these available and I am sure this would be a good place to start. Some areas of east coast have decent hockey programs like Boston, but nowhere in the nation is in the same category of MN when it comes to participation. We have seen a few players from CA come to MN that play at a good level, but it would be a big assumption to think he would fit right in and be able to compete at high level in his age group.

Generally winter is pretty long. Opinion will vary but, I might suggest we have winter weather from late November to Late March give or take a couple weeks on either end. so 4.5-5 months of winter like weather.

Old 04-05-2012, 11:29 AM

Yes, he is going to a camp this summer to MN.Also, I be there this summer looking around for a house.Thank you again to all of you !!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota