Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 07:17 PM

8 posts, read 12,325 times

Advertisements

Well first I'm a college student form Southern, IL and been thinking about moving to Minnesota after college, but need some advice and general opinion form people living in Minnesota:

1) Compared to IL, what is the benefits and downsides?

2) How is the economics compared to IL?

3) Is it true that living in MN is higher than IL?

4) Are taxes high (like income, property, car, etc.)?

5) For carpenter's, how is it up there? and are the rates good?

6) Any thing else that I should know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2012, 01:07 PM

12 posts, read 19,919 times
jk20w: Minnesota is awesome. What part of Minnesota are you considering? I am originally from Nebraska and moved up here to the Southwestern part of the state. A lot of the questions that you have asked really depend on what part of the state you're lookin at. I can tell you that the people of Minnesota are extremely warm and friendly people. I really would be surprised if Minnesota's cost of living is higher than Illinois'. Once again, it depends on where you're considering but really the Cost of Living is generally pretty low up here. Something that you may have to get used to is the weather; it gets very cold here in the winter and the snow and wind are usually a-howlin! I know that I was probably unable to answer a lot of your questions but good luck on your search!

Old 03-18-2012, 06:52 PM

@Cougarjay94

I was thinking somewhere outside the metro. Like the country, but still able to get to the twin cities under 40 min. if possible. I dont like living in the crowded metro area with neighbors living so close that their houses are on top of each other.

Sales tax seems to be higher on some things, and it scared the living heck out of when i saw a form talking about vehicle renewal/tax costing around 400$

I dont care about the cold in fact I love it, I was native born in Chicago so I have a general idea of the weather up there.

Old 03-18-2012, 07:57 PM

145 posts, read 324,506 times
40 minutes is going to be tough if you want to go from real country to downtown. The Twin Cities are smaller than Chicago, but not that small. On possibility might be western Wisconsin, although eastern Washington county still looks "country" to me. Might be doable from the exurbs downtown, or from the country to the suburbs. Taxes are high but at least you won't get hit with a $400 tab renewal unless you vehicle is expensive. I drive an 02 Grand Cherokee and pay extra for an environmental plate, and mine are under $100 a year. I've done a lot of traveling to northern and western Illinois and what's impressed me is how many more recreational activities are available within a days drive here.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:56 PM

@Mdcastle

Thanks for the info!

And well is there any similar, like a smaller community near the twin cities that has a good reputation and gives under a 40 min. drive? If not what other cities should I look into, I am looking also at the south east corner of Minnesota. Is there anything doable there? i will look into Washington county, is that in WI or MN? Cause I aint really looking into Wisconsin, but thanks though, i might look into it.

And thanks for the heads up on the taxes, I know my renewal fee is 123$ for my car in southern IL and thats also with an IL environmental plate. I drive a '04 Ford Taurus.

And yeah, IL has gotten quite boring, not as much stuff to see and if there is you would have to drive a good distance to see it, and that's what I expect Minnesota to always be 'exciting.

Old 03-18-2012, 09:25 PM

Ya I try not to worry about taxes...gives me a headache! You might want to look up stillwater...fairly small town within 30 minutes of the Twin Cities...VERY nice quality city and nice weather and people.

Old 03-18-2012, 09:40 PM

@Cougarjay94

Thanks!

And ya, im with you there, i hate the thought of them, but moving from a different state with different economics (IL really is in the hole there) I have to know what I and my pockets are getting into.

I'm going look into Stillwater, it looks interesting, any other cities from Washington that might be closer? Cause now I'm curious haha :P

Old 03-18-2012, 09:45 PM

jk20w:

If you go much closer than Stillwater, you're probably going to end up sacrificing your desire to still live in the country. Not in Washington County, there is White Bear Lake, MN. It's home to about 25,000 people and is growing. It has a large lake and is really beautiful and is also closer to the city. You might want to check that location out too! Cost of living is a bit higher as you get closer to the city, though.

Once again, good luck with your search and please let me know if you have any other questions. Minnesota certainly does welcome you!

Old 03-18-2012, 09:56 PM

@Cougarjay94

Again thanks!

Stillwater right now seems like a really good choice, but of course im still looking. And I'll check out White Bear Lake also.

Another thing about MN, I love the sometimes cool, strange, unusual, or just hard to say names of some of these towns/cities.

Also for carpenters, Is the job outlook or growth good?

And thanks for the hospitality! I hope my search goes well also!

Edit: It seems White Bear Lake High School is really messed up by having separate campus at various distances, pass- thanks though!
Also, I'm willing to sacrifice some country for the metro, hows Eden Prairie? I saw it on money magazine. Also anything more south by Minneapolis that's worth checking out?

Last edited by jk20w; 03-18-2012 at 10:57 PM..

Old 03-19-2012, 06:06 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
You can find a lot of places that are rural within 40 minutes of Minneapolis. That won't be a problem at all. If you want to go out by Eden Prairie, check out the Chaska area, Belle Plane, Jordan. If you want a smaller town, I would check out the Delano area too. For more northern areas, try Buffalo or Elk River. South Hastings, Rosemount, Cannon Falls is a great little town too. Most of Lakeville is rural as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota