Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 03:19 PM

9 posts, read 12,969 times

Advertisements

I love the conversations we're having here. OH, to have a winter that only lasted a few months instead of 6-9 - that's my definition of heaven, lol!

I can not wait for our trip this summer. We're going to head down either mid June or the beginning of July. We want nice weather while we're there, but not too hot and muggy. Seeing some thunderstorms could be fun too.

We have been planning on moving next summer but my impulsive side just wants to pick up and move THIS summer. If only tihngs were so easy! Jobs are the issue - and we'd have to sell our house too. Plus we have pets to bring with. All in all, it makes things a bit more complicated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2012, 06:23 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,658,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRelocation View Post
I love the conversations we're having here. OH, to have a winter that only lasted a few months instead of 6-9 - that's my definition of heaven, lol!

I can not wait for our trip this summer. We're going to head down either mid June or the beginning of July. We want nice weather while we're there, but not too hot and muggy. Seeing some thunderstorms could be fun too.

We have been planning on moving next summer but my impulsive side just wants to pick up and move THIS summer. If only tihngs were so easy! Jobs are the issue - and we'd have to sell our house too. Plus we have pets to bring with. All in all, it makes things a bit more complicated.
If you are thinking of coming down in June or July, it will likely be humid and warm/hot. Our average highs during those months are in the 80's (in southern Minnnesota anyway) and it is already in the 70's -80's and humid here so who knows what this summer will bring. The heat and humidity are great for growing vegetables in the garden though. I know my family in Alaska - they actually live near Wasilla as well! - has to use greenhouses to grow tomatoes and even then, it is pretty difficult. I usually start my tomatoes in the garden in late April, water them once in a while and have more tomatoes than I know what to do with towards the middle of summer.

If you are looking at places to visit in particular, let us know. I think most of us on the Minnesota forum love to give suggestions

If you're looking for more information on the Minnesota climate here are a few good resources:
Climatology Comparison for Marshall, MN - weather.com=
(comparing SW Minnesota for instance to the Mat-Su Valley. You can select any city that you want.)
As you can see, the 3 winter months are only slightly warmer here than you would find near Anchorage since there is the moderation effect from you being near the coast, but there is quite a difference the rest of the year.

Preliminary Local Climatological Data - Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN
Daily temperatures for the Twin Cities for the last 12 years.

Good luck.

Old 03-18-2012, 01:14 PM

12 posts, read 19,919 times
I would definitely say that Southwestern Minnesota is the coldest area: The winds are absolutely omnipresent. Southeastern Minnesota is pretty mild. Enjoy your visit this summer: better bring shorts and flip-flops! Might be a bit warmer than you're used to up in Alaska

Old 03-21-2012, 07:07 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,278,566 times
SE MN is warmest due to the gulf of mexico bringing up more warm air when low pressure systems move northwards. That effect is even more pronounced as one gets into eastern WI and Michigan.

Northern MN will be the coolest, period. SW MN has wind and can get cold but northern MN is by far the coolest, first to cool down in fall, last to warm up in spring. It's been in the 70's and 80's in SW MN the last few weeks. Which is way above normal, and not what you should typically expect by the way.

Compared to fairbanks, the southern 2/3 of minnesota will be warm.. the extreme northern areas by international falls will still seem warm, but can get very cold. Compared to Anchorage or anywhere along the coasts, northern MN will seem cold, extreme southern and eastern MN will seem fairly typical... in December, January, and February. The rest of the year, the rise in temperatures will be bliss to some. The last 2 springs have been more then I could have ever asked for here, just wonderful. When I first moved out here there were Mays where brookings struggled to hit 60, and now here we are surpassing it every day.. in march.. it's incredible. I had almost lost faith this area actually could get warm and have real springs, and now we have summer in march.

These temperatures, for this extended period of time.. the normals are 20 degrees lower. I've never seen, not even in WI, trees begin to leaf up in March. Soil temps approaching 50 already. I could handle this every year. But unfortunately this warm stretch really is record breaking in any typical aspects... not at all the norm.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick....y=48&site=FSD

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/images/fsd/p...te_Records.pdf

I will say eastern WI's climate was much more predictable... less swings between extreme cold and hot, due to lake Michigan moderating everything.

Last edited by sholomar; 03-21-2012 at 07:22 AM..

Old 03-23-2012, 03:31 PM

6 posts, read 13,506 times
Nowhere in MN can be considered mild, even when compared to Anchorage.

I would also rethink the ease with which you could get a teaching job. MN school districts have fired hundreds of teachers during this financial crisis who have first crack at being re-hired. Here in Rochester, I know a few spouses of medical residents still looking for teacher openings.

However, if you are hellbent on moving to MN, Winona is likely the warmest city. You could also live in La Crescent and work in La Crosse, WI. A quick word of warning though: there is no tax treaty between WI and MN.

Old 03-23-2012, 03:34 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,551,112 times
SE Minnesota has the mildest climate, Winona area.

Old 03-31-2012, 10:53 AM

1,761 posts, read 1,713,255 times
I had to chuckle when I read your post about wanting to move to MN and looking for a place with mild winters. The easy and probably most accurate answer is if you are looking for mild Winters, anywhere in Minnesota probably shouldn't even be on your list. I'd probably not consider ND, Eastern SD, or Northern Wisconsin either.

Minnesota does vary in climate a bit though if what you're looking for is "relatively mild" by Minnesota standards. The Arrowhead (NE MN) is the worst of the worst climate wise in the Winter. NW Minnesota isn't any picnic either. If you're South of the Twin Cities it would be the best weather Minnesota has to offer....but keep in mind it's still darn cold in the Winter.

I know you said you were coming from Alaska and so Minnesota shouldn't be a problem. A gal I've known for a few years moved here from the West Coast of Alaska and her comments were that it was much colder here in the Winter than it was in her homedown in AK....but the Summers here were a bit warmer.

I wish you well in your search !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota