Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 09:56 AM

150 posts, read 405,672 times

Advertisements

I guess what with the warmest winter on record here in Minnesota and the worst in Alaska, it depends on what your looking for. If your looking for "Big City" living, look in southern MN. If your looking for peace and quite, look in northern MN. My husband and I moved here from southern MI 12 years ago. We moved to the north (International Falls area) for the closeness and peace/beauty of the area. Susie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 02:17 AM

9 posts, read 12,982 times
Thank you, everyone, for the feedback! We will be taking a trip to MN this summer in June/July. I hope it won't be too hot for us to handle, lol - it rarely gets above the 80s here.

I am an elementary teacher and as easy as it is for us to 'pick' a town we want to live in, I fear I'll have to take a job wherever I can - whether that be north or south. I am pretty nervous about that.

Still though, from what you all have described, I think southern MN is more what we're looking for. I've read a lot about Rochester, Winona, Stillwater and a couple other cities and I think that's where we'll try to relocate to. Hopefully it won't be too hard to find employment!

Old 03-15-2012, 04:41 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,319,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRelocation View Post
Thank you, everyone, for the feedback! We will be taking a trip to MN this summer in June/July. I hope it won't be too hot for us to handle, lol - it rarely gets above the 80s here.

I am an elementary teacher and as easy as it is for us to 'pick' a town we want to live in, I fear I'll have to take a job wherever I can - whether that be north or south. I am pretty nervous about that.

Still though, from what you all have described, I think southern MN is more what we're looking for. I've read a lot about Rochester, Winona, Stillwater and a couple other cities and I think that's where we'll try to relocate to. Hopefully it won't be too hard to find employment!
If you haven't already, contact the state teachers licensing board and see if you have to do anything else to get a license in MN. MN doesn't automatically accept an out of state license like some states will. Good luck with your move.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:19 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,660,709 times
Quote:

Where in Alaska are you from? Fairbanks area; Anchorage?
I can relate as I have some family that lives in Alaska (Anchorage area).
Its been pretty nasty up there this winter from what I hear. Kind of like our winter last year was.
We're already supposed to get close to 80F here tomorrow.

Old 03-16-2012, 02:07 AM

Yes, I've looked into the licensing info - I will have to jump through a lot of hoops and take a lot of tests in order to get licensed in MN. There is a test taking center near me so I'm going to do my best to pass all of the tests within the next year so that I can get hired next summer (hopefully!)

Minnesota Spring - I live in Wasilla, which is about 45 minutes out of Anchorage. YES, this has been a nasty winter - sooooooo much snow, many subzero days. It's truly been terrible. My DH has Minnesota weather programmed into his phone. Everyday when we wake up he tells me the temperature here, followed by the temperature there - and it's always much nicer there!!

Old 03-16-2012, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Yes, I've looked into the licensing info - I will have to jump through a lot of hoops and take a lot of tests in order to get licensed in MN. There is a test taking center near me so I'm going to do my best to pass all of the tests within the next year so that I can get hired next summer (hopefully!)

Minnesota Spring - I live in Wasilla, which is about 45 minutes out of Anchorage. YES, this has been a nasty winter - sooooooo much snow, many subzero days. It's truly been terrible. My DH has Minnesota weather programmed into his phone. Everyday when we wake up he tells me the temperature here, followed by the temperature there - and it's always much nicer there!!
Keep in mind we have had a record setting WARM winter and minimal snow. We have only had about 16" of snow at our house this year, last year we had 84". The average high temps in the winter are about the same in Minneapolis as they are where you are. You will notice a big difference in the summers though where our average high is about 20 degrees higher than what your area has.

Old 03-16-2012, 03:38 PM

Great info, golfgal - thanks. Funny that you have had a record breaking warm winter - we just broke the record for the most snowfall ever, HA!!!

Old 03-16-2012, 11:19 PM

1,055 posts, read 1,869,959 times
Just about anywhere in MN is going to have colder winters (in a normal winter) then any where in the MatSu area. The spring, summer and falls in MN are much more drawn out then your area of AK. Gardening even in the far northern reaches of MN starts about mid May with bulbs and stuff popping up a bit earlier. Winters in general from Halloween to mid/late November. The day length in the winter is several hours longer of daylight then what you are familiar with. In the summer you will have darkness at night by 9:30/10:00 at the latest. The snow is much dryer, less sticky except for seasonal change overs or unusually mild temps. I can't help you much with questions about the southern half of the state since I never lived there, but comparing the upper half to the MatSu area I might be able to.

Old 03-17-2012, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Great info, golfgal - thanks. Funny that you have had a record breaking warm winter - we just broke the record for the most snowfall ever, HA!!!
I've seen pictures from various snowfalls in AK this year, WOW!!

It was 80 degrees here yesterday--we have had record breaking high (and low) temps all week-and breaking the record by 10 degrees. It's very strange weather.

Old 03-17-2012, 01:03 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,660,709 times
Quote:

LOL, thats funny because I do the same thing but comapring Minnesota weather to Missiouri, where I grew up. Its usually warmer in Missouri. But I also compare to Alaska since I have family up there to and yes, its usually colder and cloudier in the Anchorage area than here, especially in the spring, summer and fall months. That would make since though considering the Anchorage area is more than 60 degrees north latitude and were at 44 degrees north. However, some summer days when its hot and muggy here, I wish I was up in Alaska
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota