Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 12:03 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,753,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernsmoke View Post
Somebody please give me a logical reason why any state should not require ID to vote. Please. I can't wait to hear this. (And for my purposes, "to facilitate voter fraud by [a particular organization or political party]" does not quality as a logical reason.)
Not fair. That's the only logical reason I could come up with.

Old 07-01-2011, 12:21 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,447,677 times
Quote:
Somebody please give me a logical reason why any state should not require ID to vote. Please. I can't wait to hear this. (And for my purposes, "to facilitate voter fraud by [a particular organization or political party]" does not qualify as a logical reason.)
It disenfranchises college students who may live in a different district, barring them from voting in the city where they go to school.

Old 07-01-2011, 12:24 PM

455 posts, read 641,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar22 View Post
It disenfranchises college students who may live in a different district, barring them from voting in the city where they go to school.
How does it disenfranchise college students? College students have to choose one location in which to vote, etc., but they have to (or should) anyway. How does requiring ID disenfranchise them? I'm not following you.

Old 07-01-2011, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Not necessarily. A law requiring a person to show a picture ID at his or her polling place would not have to require that the address on the ID be located in the precinct. The differentiation between a permanent address as shown on the ID and the address used for voting purposes could be handled at the time of registration. I understand that this does argue against same day registration.) Of course, the problem with students having one permanent address and voting in another location where they go to school is that it does open up the possibility that fraud could be committed by voting in person at one location and by absentee ballot at another. So, we've come complete circle on that one. But we're straying off topic... how 'bout them Twins?

Old 07-01-2011, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
But we're straying off topic... how 'bout them Twins?
LOL... Considering the way the Brewers handled them last weekend and the 15-0 beating that I witnessed earlier this week, arguing about voter ID might be less of a downer than Twins talk...

Old 07-01-2011, 12:47 PM

Quote:
LOL... Considering the way the Brewers handled them last weekend and the 15-0 beating that I witnessed earlier this week, arguing about voter ID might be less of a downer than Twins talk...
I saw a 1-0 win over the Dodgers. Going to see them against the Brewers tomorrow. Regardless of the score, the brats should be hot and the beer cold, so I won't complain either way.

Old 07-01-2011, 01:06 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,447,449 times
Quote:
No, I'm pretty certain I would not be "surprised." You're talking about somebody making $800k and paying less than 10% effective tax rate. That is ludicrous. It might be possible, but the only way I think you could even get close is by earning almost none of it as salary (or other income that doesn't qualify for capital gain treatment) and giving half or more to tax-exempt organizations (i.e., "charitable" organizations). Like I said, it could maybe be done, but it could not be done without donating hundreds of thousands of dollars to charity. But since conservatives give significantly more money to charities than liberals (Op-Ed Columnist - Bleeding Heart Tightwads - NYTimes.com), maybe those evil, rich (but I repeat myself) Republicans do really pay lower effective tax rates...
Talk to any high end financial planner....

We certainly don't make 800K+ but our effective tax rate is WAY under 10%.

Quote:
Not true at all. When I was in college I was eligible to vote for the first time my freshman year. I voted where I went to school, not where I lived, all we needed was a college ID-easy. Otherwise, you CAN get an absentee ballot to your home district. I see ZERO issue with requiring ID to vote. It has always surprised me that we HAVEN'T needed it to begin with.

Old 07-01-2011, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Talk to any high end financial planner....

We certainly don't make 800K+ but our effective tax rate is WAY under 10%.

Not true at all. When I was in college I was eligible to vote for the first time my freshman year. I voted where I went to school, not where I lived, all we needed was a college ID-easy. Otherwise, you CAN get an absentee ballot to your home district. I see ZERO issue with requiring ID to vote. It has always surprised me that we HAVEN'T needed it to begin with.
I'm glad you agree about ID. I just don't even understand why anybody thinks that is a controversial issue.

Anyway, about taxes, are you deferring it all with 401(k)s and the like? I guess I didn't mention that as a possibility... Even if you only make $100-200k, there is no way that you could pocket all of that (i.e., not give it away or put into a tax-deferred investment vehicle) without having to pay more than 10%.

Old 07-01-2011, 01:29 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,179,365 times
People will always get the government they deserve and then b**** and moan at it's dysfunction as if they themselves weren't to blame. People are funny.

Old 07-01-2011, 01:40 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,447,449 times
Quote:
I'm glad you agree about ID. I just don't even understand why anybody thinks that is a controversial issue.

Anyway, about taxes, are you deferring it all with 401(k)s and the like? I guess I didn't mention that as a possibility... Even if you only make $100-200k, there is no way that you could pocket all of that (i.e., not give it away or put into a tax-deferred investment vehicle) without having to pay more than 10%.
Talk to any business owner what their effective tax rate is, talk to anyone that owns investment properties, etc. There are a lot of LEGAL avenues to do this but most people making 50K or less just don't have the extra cash to buy rental properties or put away a full amount into a 401K, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota