Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 07:54 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,362,020 times

Advertisements

MN Shutdown Deadline Casts Shadow Over Capitol*|*The UpTake

live feed

Old 06-30-2011, 09:12 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,150,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
I'm not so sure that it's about the legislators ideals so much as it is ours. Each of them feels that they were elected to do certain things and I am sure that no matter which side of the aisle they sit on, they are trying to carry that out. In the end, there seems to be a fundamental difference of opinion over whether the government is under funded or too large. That makes it very difficult to compromise. It's nice to say that word, but specifically what compromise do you have in mind?
Yes, I understand the fundamental differences between the two mindsets, and that's one of the reasons I have difficulty relating to either major party these days.

Truthfully, I have nothing specific in mind. I couldn't possibly have such a thing given that I am not personally privy to the specific discussions occurring and the specific offers being made.

That said, these people are elected to represent their districts, and I'm not sure that their districts are better off with this pending shutdown than they would be with the government operational, no matter which "side" wins this particular argument. Maybe this is the wisest path, tho. I don't know.

Old 06-30-2011, 09:48 PM

All of this pain so a few people can keep an extra 2% of their income over $250,000!

Old 06-30-2011, 09:48 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,825,608 times
The way politics used to work in this country is that both sides would sit down and make compromises until they met somewhere in the middle. Neither side would get what they really wanted but you would get legislation that reflected where the center of the body politic lied.

The problem now is we have too many politicians who make absolutist pledges when they are running. When the get to power they are in a position where they are unable to do the manouvering that is necessary to actually govern.

My solution would be to cut spending and raise taxes. It seems so logical, it would be the way we used to do things.

Last edited by Drewcifer; 06-30-2011 at 09:59 PM..

Old 06-30-2011, 09:59 PM

455 posts, read 641,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
All of this pain so a few people can keep an extra 2% of their income over $250,000!
That's the narrative of the DFL, at least. But of course, anyone with half a brain realizes that more than "a few people" make $250k+. Also, there are plenty of other ways to characterize what is going on (e.g., "all this because the governor refuses to sign a sensible budget," etc.).

Old 06-30-2011, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernsmoke View Post
That's the narrative of the DFL, at least. But of course, anyone with half a brain realizes that more than "a few people" make $250k+. Also, there are plenty of other ways to characterize what is going on (e.g., "all this because the governor refuses to sign a sensible budget," etc.).
Very few Minnesotans have a taxable income of $250k ^

Old 06-30-2011, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
Very few Minnesotans have a taxable income of $250k ^
Not "very few"... maybe "relatively few," but not "very few."

Old 06-30-2011, 10:14 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,825,608 times
Part of the problem though is that the tax system in Minnesota is regressive. The rich pay less local and state taxes than the middle class. This seems assinine to me, they should at least pay the same amount. The Republicans in the state don't want to close that gap because it goes against their pledge to never raise taxes. On the other hand they have no problem cutting the renter's credit which will raise property taxes on renters because 1. they think they can spin it as something other than a tax increase and 2. they don't care about renters because they think they are poor people who only vote DFL.

In short Republicans won't raise taxes on the rich but they have no problem raising taxes on the poor. They are doing everything they can to balance the budget on the backs of the DFL constituency. This is open class warfare and will only create a divided society. If there has to be some pain in balancing the budget everyone should feel a bit of it. The current Minnesota Republican party is the most radical version of the party most of us have seen in our lifetimes. Former stalwarts like Arne Carlson, Dave Durenburger and Al Quie were all suspended from the party last year for being too moderate and not following party orthodoxy. It will be interesting to see how this all turns out.

Old 06-30-2011, 10:21 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,752,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar22 View Post
Our politicians can't get over their asinine partisan platforms and compromise on a budget that will prevent the state from shutting down tomorrow. If Minnesota's government shuts down, more than 20,000 state employees will be laid off, nonprofit agencies will be defunded and thousands of Minnesotans will lose access to higher education-related services. Why aren't more people upset about this? I am SICK of the nasty partisan politics in this state and this country. We elected these representatives to do what's best for our state, not squabble and fight over talking points for months, refuse to sign a budget and cause our state to shut down.
You elected them.....recall them

Old 06-30-2011, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
Part of the problem though is that the tax system in Minnesota is regressive. The rich pay less local and state taxes than the middle class. This seems assinine to me, they should at least pay the same amount. The Republicans in the state don't want to close that gap because it goes against their pledge to never raise taxes. On the other hand they have no problem cutting the renter's credit which will raise property taxes on renters because 1. they think they can spin it as something other than a tax increase and 2. they don't care about renters because they think they are poor people who only vote DFL.

In short Republicans won't raise taxes on the rich but they have no problem raising taxes on the poor. They are doing everything they can to balance the budget on the backs of the DFL constituency. This is open class warfare and will only create a divided society. If there has to be some pain in balancing the budget everyone should feel a bit of it. The current Minnesota Republican party is the most radical version of the party most of us have seen in our lifetimes. Former stalwarts like Arne Carlson, Dave Durenburger and Al Quie were all suspended from the party last year for being too moderate and not following party orthodoxy. It will be interesting to see how this all turns out.
This nonsense drives me crazy. How about we end your "class warfare," stop taxing the poor more than the rich, and just adopt a flat tax? Why doesn't the left put their money where their "the-poor-pay-more-taxes-than-the-rich" mouth is and advocate a non-regressive flat tax?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota