Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 06:52 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,355,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevdie View Post
Why stay away from those areas? Because of the high cost or because of the bad nieghborhoods?

Can you list any other areas of rochester to stay away from as far as bad nieghborhoods and crime? Thanks in advance.
SE on the north side of Hwy 14 historically is considered bad. I know people who have lived and live in that area and have no issues. It is not like it used to be, though some people still cling to the idea of SE Roch is bad and NW Roch is the place to be.

The north of 37th St. NW has had an increase in crime, not necessarily violent crime but just more crime.

Check out Rochester911.com | Crime & Fire Incident Maps and Reports for Rochester, MN and Surrounding Communities to see what kind of crime happens in what neighborhood.

Before picking a neighborhood, you'll want to decide if you want an older home, a brand new home, a cookie cutter home in a cookie cutter neighborhood where you identify your house by color. I'd look at budget too, do some searching online, find some ideas of what you are looking for either buying or renting, and then come back and ask about those specific areas. That would make feedback a little better and a little less broad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2016, 08:16 PM

409 posts, read 1,750,056 times
I've been looking for a couple of weeks now, so I'll definitely do that. That's great advice! Thanks!

Old 03-16-2016, 06:29 AM

409 posts, read 1,750,056 times
My husband and I are looking to buy our first home ever. We don't have any children, so schools aren't an issue for us, but safety is. We'd like to live in a suburban, "good" and safe neighborhood. Are there waterfront or lakeview homes in Rochester? We would prefer to purchase a new home, but we're flexible to purchasing an older home as long as it was built in 2007 or later. Here are some of the addresses we're wondering about because we found homes in the area (online). I won't give the exact house number, but here are the streets (thanks in advance for any info you can provide):

4500 block of Buckingham Dr NW
5100 block of Middlebrook Dr NW
5000 block of 51st St NW
3500 block of 48h st nw
4400 block of Starling Ln SE
44oo block of Savannah Dr NW
6100 block of Hillsboro Dr NW
3200 block of Lakeridge Dr NW
3500 block of Bridgeview Dr SE (I think someone said the SE part of the town is considered "bad")

We're also looking to move into a rental there to establish residency and get to know the area while we shop for homes. Are there any apartment complexes that are in "shady" areas of the town that any of you know of? These are the places of interest that came up in our search:

Georgetowne Homes Apartments (georgetown place NW in rochester)

Jordan Mills apartments (1737 48th Street NW)

Crown apatments (2850-2852 59th St NW)

Essex Park apts. (937 41st Street NW)

Any input at all about these areas of town would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old 03-16-2016, 06:58 AM

776 posts, read 1,064,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
It is not dark for 6 months nor is there any reason to be "confined" for 6 months. What do you do in Texas when it's 110 outside?

Commuting in Rochester is easy and there isn't really any "bad" place to commute from. Finding what you want for a home/schools will be very easy there.
Rarely is it 110 in texas. I lived there for a few years and yes it did actually hit 109 once....

it can be hot in texas in the triple digits for a few weeks in the summer, but most texas temps are in the low 90s in the summer and the humidity levels are drastically lower than those in MN. SO even 110 in texas feels more like a 85-90 day in MN. It never restricted us from doing anything. I used to go for long walks, do my yard work or anything else I felt was needed. I hate when people compare hot southern days to cold MN winters. Not even close to comparison. When was the last time you had to jump start your car because it was too warm, or pull yourself out of the ditch when the roads were too bad in texas? When was the last time you had to scrap your windshield in while shuttering in the cold in texas? When was the last time traffic crawled for endless miles in texas because of anything other than heavy traffic? When is the last time you had to let your car warm up for a half hour in texas? When is the llastt time you were in a rush to get to work only to realize that you have a foot or more of snow to shovel so you can even get out in texas?

THe heat never impairs people from doing anything in the south. Remember most people live in the south because the like the heat. I don't know anyone who lives in MN because the love the bad winters. Not to say that there aren't plenty of things to do in the winter so don't open a debate about winter activities, a lot of people do like winter, but they right along with the rest of them who complain when the temps drop to zero or below.

I can think of a thousand times or more when the weather in MN has stopped me from doing something I enjoy. I can think of one time when it did in Texas or North Carolina. I even remember one specific time when it was 108 in texas in august and my neighbor came out laughn at me because I was digging a tree out of my front yard. A 15 foot willow tree, by hand. sweating like crazy, but not miserable at all. My neighbor didn't help, but he did bring out a beer and sat and talked to me while I got the tree out.... in the 108 degree temp with no hesitation

In MN, people would look out their window at you, and wonder... what is that guy doing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota