Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2018, 01:19 PM

117 posts, read 161,640 times

Advertisements

Most people in MN seem to be most bothered by later winter - Jan-March, after the holidays are over - while I find Nov-Dec more difficult. Then I saw a chart of average monthly sunshine hours for Minneapolis, and figured it out. November and December are the two months of the year with the least sunlight, and for me, the "winter blues" are primarily triggered by lack of daylight.

By beginning of January, we're on the upswing; the days are getting longer. It gets colder, and we start to see those aforementioned "arctic sunshine" days. My mood is better on a sunny, frigid day than a dark gray cloudy, not so cold day, even if I'm only observing the sun through the window.

I'd prefer more sun in the winter, but MN is adequate except for those occasional times - usually in November and December - when we have a week or longer with no sunshine. I don't think I could live in the Pacific Northwest. I saw a monthly sunshine hours chart for Seattle, and they get half the amount of sunlight each month Dec-Feb that we get in Nov or December. Cold doesn't bother me much; darkness does.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2018, 02:11 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,078,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
yes, for me, this discussion has to include a conversion around one's ability to enjoy the sun. In other words, if it's sunny 300 days a year (for example), but so cold that it's difficult to go outside and enjoy it, one may prefer a local with only 200 sunny days but more moderate temperatures such that they are outside more.

Specifically those days where you can see a Sun-dog in the sky.....tons of sunshine but -10 degrees, and thus I'm not outside to enjoy the sun as I would had it been 40 degrees.
surprisingly enough, I can enjoy a bright/sunny day without being outside

Old 01-31-2018, 03:16 PM

2,579 posts, read 2,073,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
surprisingly enough, I can enjoy a bright/sunny day without being outside
With you on this.

I grew up south of here in an area which was in a valley and with more consistent moisture in the air throughout the year. The winters were typically early December through March (mostly highs in the single digits to 20s) with the expected week or so in early- or mid-January of sub-zero stuff. As a result, when it snowed, we had heavier, wet snows and grey days much of the winter - moisture in the air combined with valley walls keeping the moist grey in place.

Here, it is often ten or even twenty degrees colder on a given day, but we have sunshine.

And that makes days inside better as well.

Old 02-01-2018, 09:15 AM

4,363 posts, read 6,535,732 times
Got that arctic sun glowing right now. It's -8 out there with 15mph steady winds including gusts of 20. It feels absolutely COLD out there - but that sun is shinning bright as could be.

I think we tolerate the back side of winter once we've had deep freeze and a warm-up or two. Then the cold just doesn't seem as harsh when it drops back down.

Old 02-01-2018, 10:22 AM

3,696 posts, read 2,901,247 times
I'm one of those rare people who prefers cloudy days and loves to live in the cloud & snow belt

That being said, Minneapolis-St.Paul area is not a cloudy place IMO. When I was growing up, I visited cousins there at all times of the year and it was very rarely cloudy. I recall asking them as a kid if they EVER had a cloudy day, lol. You have to remember that I was coming from Syracuse, NY so it was kind of odd for me to see a bright winter sun when I visited them.

I am not sure where the assumption that Minneapolis-St. Paul is cloudy comes from, but just isn't true in my experience.

It's a good 4-season climate for people who want more sunlight than the snowbelt climates further east offer.

Old 07-10-2022, 02:48 PM

1 posts, read 618 times
Dont come.here ...I am a native. It is so gloomy most of the year. This summer has had nothing but clouds and rain . Before you know it the fall and snow. Its 3pm and its so damn cloudy and dark with no sun. I live in the heart of downtown on the 22st floor. I have ceiling to floor windows with a perfect view. It is so depressing. Go to an unknown place like Oregon lol...the summers used to be beautiful here...almost unmatched!!! Maybe a weather machine??????

Old 07-11-2022, 02:24 AM

87 posts, read 105,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moniqclark View Post
Dont come.here ...I am a native. It is so gloomy most of the year. This summer has had nothing but clouds and rain . Before you know it the fall and snow. Its 3pm and its so damn cloudy and dark with no sun. I live in the heart of downtown on the 22st floor. I have ceiling to floor windows with a perfect view. It is so depressing. Go to an unknown place like Oregon lol...the summers used to be beautiful here...almost unmatched!!! Maybe a weather machine??????
So true. Im sure you're the same person that when the wind chill is -40 and the normal people (non natives) are claiming it's horrible you say...."well at least it's sunny.....ooouuguuuuuhh feeerrrrr fun"
Also, if it's as "nice" as the natives claim, why do most that have the resources to leave, leave in the winter for stretches at a time?

Old 07-13-2022, 11:04 AM

441 posts, read 440,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moniqclark View Post
As someone who lives in Oregon I can tell you the summers here truly are the best. Warm days with a few excessively hot, low humidity and plenty of sunshine. But fall and winter into early spring can be gloomy. We get some rain. This spring was particularly wet. But that's good because we need the rain. I don't want smoke filled days like we have been having.

I think you are being a smart a$# :-) We visited the Twin cities and it was warm and sunny every day we were there. It was in the summer. I'm sure if someone moves to MSP and is not use to cold and snow they will be in for a surprise by that :-)

Old 07-13-2022, 01:25 PM

2,105 posts, read 4,603,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CARas2020 View Post
As someone who lives in Oregon I can tell you the summers here truly are the best. Warm days with a few excessively hot, low humidity and plenty of sunshine. But fall and winter into early spring can be gloomy. We get some rain. This spring was particularly wet. But that's good because we need the rain. I don't want smoke filled days like we have been having.

I think you are being a smart a$# :-) We visited the Twin cities and it was warm and sunny every day we were there. It was in the summer. I'm sure if someone moves to MSP and is not use to cold and snow they will be in for a surprise by that :-)
But yes, agree with you totally, summers here are the best in Minnesota.

Last edited by demtion35; 07-13-2022 at 01:43 PM..

Old 07-13-2022, 08:19 PM

587 posts, read 563,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CARas2020 View Post

So unnecessarily rude….
To be fair, the day Moniqclark posted, it was grey and cloudy; and we did have a couple of cloudy days not typical for summertime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by demtion35 View Post
But yes, agree with you totally, summers here are the best in Minnesota.
Yes they are!!! That day we hit 100, I was surprised to learn we hadn’t gotten to 100 since 2018.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul