Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 11:46 PM

6 posts, read 18,928 times

Advertisements

I'm assuming you are posting this question because it's a factor that really matters to you. I was born in Minneapolis and lived there for 34 years. I left seven years ago and would never move back. I'm not saying it's not a great city - there's a lot to do and see and great culture. But if the sunshine - or lack of sunshine - is something that concerns you, you will most likely be miserable here. I used to count the days between sunshine. I remember the weather announcers stating that "We should see the sun sometime around 1pm today..." - and other similar statements. It's gray and gloomy and if you have an emotional need for sunshine (like I do), it can really get to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2007, 08:06 AM

75 posts, read 476,841 times
Default Cloudy days better than traffic

It was more out of curiousty. Living in Seattle I thought the clouds would get to me but it doesn't. The real problem is having no life here. Spending 3 hours a day (and sometimes more) just commuting is tough.

Old 06-11-2007, 11:42 AM

5,341 posts, read 14,134,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robind View Post
It was more out of curiousty. Living in Seattle I thought the clouds would get to me but it doesn't. The real problem is having no life here. Spending 3 hours a day (and sometimes more) just commuting is tough.

I can't understand how anyone could deal with that!! Can you not move closer to work???

Old 03-24-2013, 05:42 PM

1 posts, read 2,382 times
I've lived here 20 years and born/raised in Wisconsin not far from the metro. The weather has a nice mix of sunny days and storms, some years you will get a month or two of drought, some years a mild winter, and some years a nasty snowy winter. There's usually a couple weeks in January that is 15-20 below and your car won't start. I love the lakes and fall here, but hate the long winters. The cold season starts in October some time and doesn't begin to warm up until April. March is always a wild card. Could be 40-50 one day, and get 3 feet of snow the next week.

Old 07-29-2017, 08:11 PM

25 posts, read 30,366 times
I lived in Denver for one year. Their weather is very erratic, but they do get at least 300 days of sunshine. Its really a mile high desert.

Old 08-02-2017, 07:22 PM

413 posts, read 789,336 times
I moved here from Seattle a year ago after living there for 10 years. I feel like it is FAR sunnier than the climate data would suggest. It is not as sunny as Denver but it's a helluva lot sunnier than Seattle regardless of season.

Old 08-04-2017, 08:54 AM

928 posts, read 1,101,055 times
I have lived here for over a year. i don't think I have seen the sun come up even once. Most of us develop vitamin D deficiencies, our skin becomes translucent and our vision degrades rapidly. Most people who live here year round are basically blind because of the lack of sunshine. True story.

Old 08-04-2017, 09:10 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,596,328 times
I've lived here my whole life so I can't compare it to anywhere else, but I think Minnesota has the perfect ratio of sunny vs. cloudy days. I personally become depressed if there are too many consecutive sunny days.

Old 08-04-2017, 09:14 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,596,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atew View Post
I've lived here 20 years and born/raised in Wisconsin not far from the metro. The weather has a nice mix of sunny days and storms, some years you will get a month or two of drought, some years a mild winter, and some years a nasty snowy winter. There's usually a couple weeks in January that is 15-20 below and your car won't start. I love the lakes and fall here, but hate the long winters. The cold season starts in October some time and doesn't begin to warm up until April. March is always a wild card. Could be 40-50 one day, and get 3 feet of snow the next week.
Depends on your definition of cold. I would say that November and March are wild card, but for the most part still bearable. Dec-Feb are really the only winter months, where being outside isn't enjoyable.

Old 08-05-2017, 08:51 AM

1,349 posts, read 1,706,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staggerlee666 View Post
I have lived here for over a year. i don't think I have seen the sun come up even once. Most of us develop vitamin D deficiencies, our skin becomes translucent and our vision degrades rapidly. Most people who live here year round are basically blind because of the lack of sunshine. True story.
It's called Mole Transformation Disorder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul