Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 09:51 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,751,320 times

Advertisements

I don't have a Scandinavian last name, and have NEVER had anyone comment on that! To anyone considering moving here: that sort of thing is NOT the norm, or at least it's not where I've lived in Minneapolis. What a weird story. The city is pretty diverse; we're now considered an a modern "immigrant gateway city," or whatever the official term is, so you're just as likely to encounter an Nguyen or a Garcia as a Johnson or a Miller. And I know I sound like a broken record, but half of the people in this city are from another state or city; even if one were to believe the assumption that all Minnesotans have no time or interest in new friends, that still leaves many, many people out there who are from somewhere else. Some of them probably even have non-Scandinavian last names.

If you're spending time with people who think non-Scandinavian names are unusual, then you are hanging out in the wrong places. I'd try for a job change, move to a different part of the city, or otherwise change your environment. I don't know your situation, but I just have NEVER heard of anyone having their name "constantly" questioned (other than at times to confirm how to pronounce it), and I have lived in Minnesota with two different, non-Scandinavian last names, including one that is pretty unusual.

People have the right not to like the Twin Cities, but this isn't some isolated outpost in the middle of nowhere. Some of these posts seem to send the message that this is some sort of hillbilly land where no one has ever ventured more than five miles from home. It's a big (or at least medium) city with a lot of big companies; like any other city of its size, there are people from all over the country and the world living here. Don't like native Minnesotans? Make friends with one of the thousands and thousands of other people here, then.

I don't even know why I let things like this get to me anymore, but it seems to be quite the vogue to paint Minneapolis as stuck in some sort of time warp. I do believe that it's tougher to make friends here than other places, but the whole idea that someone anyone can tell whether you're from here based on name alone? I don't buy that. If you're encountering people like that, then you're just unlucky enough to live or work in a particularly uneducated and isolated community. The rest of us just have to walk around the neighborhood or go to work to realize that while Scandinavian and Germanic heritage is still evident in Minnesota, it's equally obvious that there are plenty of other ethnic backgrounds represented, too.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:55 AM

49 posts, read 100,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
I don't have a Scandinavian last name, and have NEVER had anyone comment on that! To anyone considering moving here: that sort of thing is NOT the norm, or at least it's not where I've lived in Minneapolis.
Yet it still happens to us.

I'm not saying this because I like it; I'm saying this because it's been a consistent part of our life for twelve years.

Given how uncomfortable the situation is, it needs to be known.

Quote:
What a weird story.
Agreed. Weird, and unfortunate. I really look forward to the day that we don't have to live it.

Quote:
... so you're just as likely to encounter an Nguyen or a Garcia as a Johnson or a Miller.
True, I have been happy to see other cultures more represented the region, particularly over the past few years.

Quote:
And I know I sound like a broken record, but half of the people in this city are from another state or city
It's important to note that the other states are most likely in the immediate region. (North Dakota, South Dakota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Iowa...) This makes for a very "Midwestern" city culture.

Quote:
; even if one were to believe the assumption that all Minnesotans have no time or interest in new friends
This was not stated as an assumption. What was offered in this and other threads were articles, media pieces, and plenty of personal anecdotes from myself and others that made this point very clearly.

Quote:
...that still leaves many, many people out there who are from somewhere else. Some of them probably even have non-Scandinavian last names.
I believe it was already noted that "transplants" tend to make friends with other "transplants" for this very reason.

Quote:
If you're spending time with people who think non-Scandinavian names are unusual, then you are hanging out in the wrong places.
I agree with this in principle. To paraphrase one of my favorite "**** My Dad Says" posts, "Why look for people who don't like you? It's like having a picnic and sitting next to the only pile of dog crap in the park."

Unfortunately, we've had this happen:
  • At our respective workplaces
  • At our kid's schools
  • At volunteer event locations
  • Just out and about
Thus our frustration.

Quote:
I'd try for a job change, move to a different part of the city, or otherwise change your environment.
We're doing exactly that. We're taking responsibility for our situation, and attempting to improve it.

Quote:
I have lived in Minnesota with two different, non-Scandinavian last names, including one that is pretty unusual.
Interesting. I believe you, of course, but I wonder, what it is about our name that elicits such a response. (It's not like our last name is "Hitler" or anything...)

Quote:
Some of these posts seem to send the message that this is some sort of hillbilly land where no one has ever ventured more than five miles from home.
That message was never my intent. In fact, there are things I love about living here:
  • The bike and hiking trails. Best I've ever seen!
  • The cross-country ski trails. LOVE them.
  • Duluth (It's a neat place to visit)
  • The museums
Unfortunately, the "forever outsider" element wears on even the best of people.

Quote:
Make friends with one of the thousands and thousands of other people here, then.
Agreed. Just don't be surprised to see them leave the region within 3-5 years.

Quote:
I do believe that it's tougher to make friends here than other places
Thank you for acknowledging that point. It's much appreciated.

Quote:
...but the whole idea that someone anyone can tell whether you're from here based on name alone? I don't buy that.
I find it fascinating that the most common response to this situation is denying that it exists at all.

Quote:
If you're encountering people like that, then you're just unlucky enough to live or work in a particularly uneducated and isolated community.
We've lived in two different suburbs over the years, and have -- through promotions and such -- moved to different companies. We have run into the same issues in both suburbs, and in all jobs.

Given that, I'm afraid I can't put our experiences down to "bad luck".

Quote:
The rest of us just have to walk around the neighborhood or go to work to realize that while Scandinavian and Germanic heritage is still evident in Minnesota, it's equally obvious that there are plenty of other ethnic backgrounds represented, too.
True.

But how many do you invite over for dinner?

Best regards.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:20 AM

Well, the reason people (at least me) are having a tough time with this name thing is that many people here, including those born in Minnesota, also have non-Scandinavian names, but have never experienced that. I'm not saying that you have't had that happen, but no one has ever asked me that, and I've never heard anyone else ask or be asked that, either.

Out of curiosity, which suburbs? I've never lived in a Twin Cities suburb, so can't comment there. And before anyone jumps on me about the suburb versus city thing, I will acknowledge that the most diverse places in MN are now in the suburbs. That said, some suburbs are still very, very homogeneous. I wonder if some of these problems are felt more in some areas than in others?

As far as inviting people over for dinner, my circle of friends is pretty diverse. Many of my friends have dated and/or married people of different backgrounds, and many of us have spouses/significant others (not to mention parents) from other states or countries. Then again, as noted, my experience is with the city of Minneapolis. I would be curious if some of this varies by location within the Twin Cities. Not city versus suburb, but perhaps type of suburb or demographics. My guess is that it can vary greatly by location. The Twin Cities are pretty sprawling, and there's very little in common between, say, Long Lake and Lyn-Lake.

Old 01-06-2011, 02:29 PM

256 posts, read 586,498 times
I'm not saying it didn't happen. but that sounds like an anecdote more than something that is typical.

Old 01-06-2011, 04:42 PM

1,080 posts, read 2,270,828 times
I think what seperates the Twin Cities from other places is not so much the prominence of Scandanavian culture but the lack of many Italian or Hispanic cultures. I remember going out east the first time and noticing all the Italians; you just don't see many around here. There are also a very small Hispanic influence compared to other cities. There are some Irish families in Saint Paul (I'm from one) but compared to most places the Irish influence is pretty small. Seeing how those three ethnicities are probably the most social and outgoing, the lack of them makes the Twin Cities very inclusive for someone from say Boston or Baltimore or Southern California.

What you're left with is a lot of German, Polish, SE Asian, first generation African immigrants who largely stick to themselves, and yes, Scandaniavians. This creates a much more subdued culture.

Old 01-06-2011, 05:58 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,807,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
LOL! This coulda been written by me! That's pretty much what my experience was when I first moved here, including thnking Edina was pronounced "Edeena"!
Count me in - I could have written the latter 2/3rds of this post.

Old 01-06-2011, 08:28 PM

I've always known the Edina thing since I grew up around here, but Minnesota in general seems to really embrace the odd pronunciations! Milan, Montevideo, New Prague... those are all pronounced differently than one (well, me, anyway) would expect. I'd never thought about Edina before, since I grew up with it, but I can see how people would get tripped up.
In case anyone is interested, here's a handy guide, with towns and cities at the bottom:
Minnesota Pronunciation Guide

Old 01-07-2011, 09:32 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,815,991 times
I grew up in upstate New York, moved here when I was 18 and have now been here for 20 years. I have never had problems making friends here. I have always lived in Minneapolis or St Paul proper, I think this helps. There are probably more transplants than natives living in the central cities. This "you're not from around here" thing seems weird to me although I am not going to deny that it happened. Are you living in Lindstrom or some place like that? I couldn't imagine it in Minneapolis proper.

Old 01-09-2011, 09:01 AM

302 posts, read 727,615 times
Having moved here from Southern California, I'll give you my perspective. I really didn't know much about Minnesota in general, until I started visiting here (when my brother moved here and I had to travel here for work). My ideas of Minneapolis were based on the "Mary Tyler Moore" show and the movies/music of Prince. I'd heard of Minneapolis and St Paul...Rochester (Mayo Clinic) and MAYBE Bloomington (only because of MOA). That's about it...and that's probably broad knowledge for people outside of the midwest to be honest.

When I started visiting here, I was very impressed with Minneapolis in general and the lifestyle of the people I met. The state is very clean and the people seemed very genuine. This is much of what prompted me to move here (besides a life long ambition to get OUT of the Los Angeles area...but that's another story!!)

Now that I live here, I've noticed when I go home (to L.A.), there are two perceptions of Minnesota. One is from the people who have NEVER been here. They think it's a year-round cold, frozen tundra (thanks to "Fargo"!), that people have funny accents (thanks again "Fargo"!) and that it's Conservative (somewhat true compared to CA but NOT in terms of politics). Then there are the people who HAVE visited...they all LOVE what they've seen of the state and Cities (I have only met ONE person who wasn't impressed with Minnesota or the Cities and he was a snob who was ONLY liked NYC/LA/Miami so let's exclude him now!). They comment on the beauty of the Cities (just drive around downtown Minneapolis or through St Paul...the lakes...Loring Park...the churches and cool pubs), the cleanliness, the "good vibe" (a lot of people talk about the "good vibe"...but these are mostly my Cali friends mind you and they are all about the "vibe"...as am I!). Most have said they would probably enjoy living here (but many are scared of the winters).

That's my two cents! I think people lump it in with places like Seattle or Portland (over say, Chicago or other midwest cities) and that's fine by me. I'm proud to tell people I live in Minneapolis!

Old 01-09-2011, 09:03 AM

302 posts, read 727,615 times
Oh and to chime in with everyone else...I also thought Edina was "Edeena" and Lino Lakes was "Leeno Lakes". Never heard of Eden Prairie...or Duluth...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul