Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 09:05 AM

91 posts, read 190,340 times

Advertisements

I'm an African-American singer/songwriter currently living in Minneapolis. I have worked in a couple of bands however, the biggest problem I seem to face is getting Caucasian people to work with me. For instance, when I e-mail or talk to a person over the phone, all is great. I send them a sample of my vocals/music, they like it and want me to audition for their band/group. When I get to the audition, however, they act cold and/or indifferent, and I usually get the "Don't call us, we'll call you" message, and I never hear from them again. I have tried to get groups together and the same thing seems to happen. I correspond with the person who wants to audition, and the person seems eager to do this, however, when the person sees me, I never hear from them again or they wish not to join. There could be other reasons, but my problem is that their enthusiasm level switches to "OFF" after we meet in person whereas they were ready and willing before we met. Now, this is not true in all cases, but 95% of the time since I have been involved in music around the Twin Cities area.

I know I am not the only African-American musician living in Minneapolis/St. Paul facing this type of issue. Please share your thoughts.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 11:04 AM

1,588 posts, read 4,060,354 times
I'm involved in the TC music scene too and I'm sorry, but I don't agree with you as I have seen several diverse bands. I'm assuming you recently had a bad experience and now you want to lable every caucasion living in the TC area as being racist.

Old 03-17-2009, 11:52 AM

1,935 posts, read 5,829,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOut View Post
I'm involved in the TC music scene too and I'm sorry, but I don't agree with you as I have seen several diverse bands. I'm assuming you recently had a bad experience and now you want to lable every caucasion living in the TC area as being racist.
I don't think there's any reason for you to attack the original poster and assume what his past was or how he views the world. His (or her) post seemed very genuine, sincere, honest, and just wanting to get other people's insights and thoughts on the issue. You have to admit that it is strange that seemingly a lot of people really want to work with him after hearing samples of his music and interacting via email/ phone, but then suddenly become very standoffish upon meeting him/ her in person. You would think race wouldn't play a role in this in a progressive metro like the twin cities (and I don't work in the music "scene" by any means but have gigged with some big bands here in the past), but it is possible. The music "scene" can attract a very shallow crowd that is very concerned about appearance and different musical genres tend to attract (or target) one demographic over another (and this demographic is often represented in the band). Out of curiosity, what genre do you consider your music? Assuming you are wanting to be a frontman/ woman as you mentioned your 'vocals/ music', your appearance/ stage presence likely plays a big part in people deciding if they want to work with you or not - if it is in a genre that caters to a younger crowd or one that is overly focused on looking "cool", "badass", "angst-ridden", or whatever else the case might be - then any number of silly factors could cause you to not have the right "look" for that band. For instance, you don't often see very many obese (or old) frontmen or women of any any band regardless of race, musical genre, or target demographics - really the only genres that I can think of where I can think of having seen (off-hand) obese front men/women would be blues, soul, neo-soul, rap, jazz, gospel - largely dominated by African-American musicians - and then country music and the ocassionally slightly big-boned girl (and this probably just very recently) in the top 40.

Also, where are you auditioning or trying to get gigs at? If it's in areas with a lot less diversity than say the core areas of Mpls or St. Paul, then race could be a factor (although, if you're auditioning to be in a band with a bunch of white youth from the suburbs, I would think being African-American would actually up your "cool" factor and make you more likely to get in) - that's not to say that it couldn't be a factor in the core cities themselves, just probably less likely. Other potential factors - the way you dress, the way you present yourself and communicate at the auditions, etc. - it's kind of like a job interview - if you have an attitude that people don't want to be around (not saying you do or that your post had anything in it that would make me think that, but just something to be mindful of), you're not going to be asked to join in or be joined by others.

You mentioned that "there could be other reasons" - I would take a closer look at these as a possibility before writing off all 95% of metro-area caucasians in the music scene as racist (it might just be that many of them are shallow and/or you're presenting yourself in a way that puts people off).

Last edited by Camden Northsider; 03-17-2009 at 12:02 PM..

Old 03-18-2009, 11:50 AM

1,588 posts, read 4,060,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camden Northsider View Post
I don't think there's any reason for you to attack the original poster and assume what his past was or how he views the world. His (or her) post seemed very genuine, sincere, honest, and just wanting to get other people's insights and thoughts on the issue.)
Seriously? Get off your pedestal.

This person has had two posts so far; one basically ripping on Minnesota's music scene and the other complaining about how white people don't want to play with him/her. There is obviously something going on with him/her or she/he is just being a troll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camden Northsider View Post
if you're auditioning to be in a band with a bunch of white youth from the suburbs, I would think being African-American would actually up your "cool" factor and make you more likely to get in) - that's not to say that it couldn't be a factor in the core cities themselves, just probably less likely.
I can't believe people still think this way. Isn't it 2009?

Old 03-18-2009, 12:07 PM

987 posts, read 3,817,383 times
Tim Berry is the music teacher at my kid's school. Cool guy, but not because he's a black guy. He also volunteers for the YMCA.

Timothy Berry on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

Old 03-20-2009, 02:01 PM

3,047 posts, read 9,030,188 times
Blackout is in love with himself. Take what he says with a grain of salt.

Old 03-20-2009, 02:48 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
I'd be curious to know if this happens regularly to white people, too - not to suggest that it's not a case of racism, but could it be attributable in part to some sort of Minnesotan cultural thing where they're open to auditioning people, but then are slow about actually following through about making a decision (about anyone)? I certainly don't want to open the overblown "fake" MN thing, but only want to throw that out there as a possibility. In other words, it is something that all local musicians face, or something that all non-white musicians are facing, or is it something that's your own unique experience?

Old 03-20-2009, 04:33 PM

989 posts, read 2,960,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
I'd be curious to know if this happens regularly to white people, too - not to suggest that it's not a case of racism, but could it be attributable in part to some sort of Minnesotan cultural thing where they're open to auditioning people, but then are slow about actually following through about making a decision (about anyone)? I certainly don't want to open the overblown "fake" MN thing, but only want to throw that out there as a possibility. In other words, it is something that all local musicians face, or something that all non-white musicians are facing, or is it something that's your own unique experience?
If you put this entire thing into the context of a job interview, yes this happens all the time. Not a race thing, not a MN thing, just normal stuff that happens all the time. Bottom line is people looking to fill positions are often very picky and in no paticular hurry. Gone are the days where you get confirmation letters for applying and notification the position was filled ...

Old 03-20-2009, 04:46 PM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Where are Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis? Where's RL and his boys from the group Next? Where's Prince? Where's the rapper Little Buddy? I'm sure there is someone that will work with you. Just keep plugging away.

Old 03-20-2009, 06:43 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifford63 View Post
If you put this entire thing into the context of a job interview, yes this happens all the time. Not a race thing, not a MN thing, just normal stuff that happens all the time. Bottom line is people looking to fill positions are often very picky and in no paticular hurry. Gone are the days where you get confirmation letters for applying and notification the position was filled ...
Good point - it's increasingly becoming a luxury to get any kind of response from an interview. Sad but unfortunately true, at least it has been in my case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul