Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 11:42 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,749,122 times

Advertisements

Yes, I think they are "that bad," but if you're able to handle Indiana then you'll be able to handle Minnesota.

I like seasons and I like snow, but I don't like the Minnesota winters. I do agree that they make you appreciate the warmer parts of the year even more. (and when it gets uncomfortably hot and humid in the summer you may even find yourself thinking of a brisk sunny winter day with nostalgia!)

I have grown soft after years of living in more mild climates (including southern CA) and can't say that I relish the thought of a life of Minnesota winters, but there are other tradeoffs that make it worth it. Some people learn to embrace the winter, while others just put up with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2009, 12:45 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,025,668 times
I've only traveled through Indianaplois BUT - Mpls winters are just too long. Example - the rest of the country has been having 60 -70 on up weather this weekend (it's been 30-40 here) and we are expected to have yet 1 more snow storm tomorrow and another mid week. ENOUGH!!

To be honest, I'd rather have the snow than rain - at least we get lots of sun. But, it really does go too long. Because it's so long, people go crazy when it gets nice - the Mpls chain of Lakes are full of people - everywhere OUTDOORS is full of people. You just learn to enjoy the weather when you have it.

Mpls winter is far different than northern MN winter - it's milder. We all get the cold in Jan, but in general, it's much milder.

Old 03-09-2009, 05:00 PM

116 posts, read 343,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I get it now. People find something they love about MN and will put up with anything to stay.

I know It's true for me!

Old 03-09-2009, 06:13 PM

53 posts, read 151,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minneapolitan View Post

I know It's true for me!

Me too!

Plus, there's plenty of ways to temper the bad parts of winter... it's all about being prepared and seeking out things to do.

Old 03-09-2009, 07:45 PM

987 posts, read 3,820,585 times
We're getting maybe the first of one or two March snowstorms tomorrow.

Old 03-11-2009, 03:13 PM

418 posts, read 907,077 times
I have seriously come to hate this area after living and loving it for 15 years.

Old 03-11-2009, 04:05 PM

987 posts, read 3,820,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBeinBoston View Post
I have seriously come to hate this area after living and loving it for 15 years.
Cummon one day does not negate 15 years of good.

Old 03-11-2009, 04:34 PM

19 posts, read 44,591 times
I'm pretty sick of it. The "great" summers aren't really that great. They are short (Mid May to Mid Sept) with thick humidity from July through August, and full of mosquitos. You can say what you want about avoiding mosquitos, but it shouldn't have to be something to worry about, but it is- all the time, everywhere. Also, many of us Minnesotans like to say things like "Well, you just have to find some fun things to do during the winter", when the truth of the matter is that while yes, the "wintery" things are entertaining, but they all aren't sustainable hobbies or events for everyone, yet ones a person can do for a couple hours after work. I mean, its not like people in Texas are out having fun times in the winter, but at least sometimes they can throw on a pair of shorts and a t shirt to run to the store and get milk. Things like ice skating, ice hockey, snowboarding and skiing, x skiing, ice fishing, snowmobiling, sledding, etc... are great... but.. not everyone has a snowmobile, or the money to use it all the time, not everyone knows how to or likes to skate, snowboarding and skiing are both skillfull and expensive, ice fishing is a unique niche sport that many of "done", but very few actually know what they are doing and have a true passion for it....

So, in response to the thread, Yes, winters, IMO, are really THAT bad.

Today it is March 11, and it was -8 when I woke up today, and it will be -18 tomorrow. Its really not THAT bad on a micro scale, but when tempuratures like this have been constant since November, 2008, yes it THAT bad.

Like someone said, we all stay because we like it. I stay because I do enjoy the state, but I just hate the winter, especially in Minnesota....it's certainly not going to make me leave.

Old 03-11-2009, 05:06 PM

46 posts, read 161,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBeinBoston View Post

Heh heh I'm planning to move elsewhere by the end of the year, too. Not in Boston, though. Somewhere in the southeast. Go hurricanes!

Old 03-11-2009, 05:33 PM

73,052 posts, read 62,670,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinForEleven View Post
I'm pretty sick of it. The "great" summers aren't really that great. They are short (Mid May to Mid Sept) with thick humidity from July through August, and full of mosquitos. You can say what you want about avoiding mosquitos, but it shouldn't have to be something to worry about, but it is- all the time, everywhere. Also, many of us Minnesotans like to say things like "Well, you just have to find some fun things to do during the winter", when the truth of the matter is that while yes, the "wintery" things are entertaining, but they all aren't sustainable hobbies or events for everyone, yet ones a person can do for a couple hours after work. I mean, its not like people in Texas are out having fun times in the winter, but at least sometimes they can throw on a pair of shorts and a t shirt to run to the store and get milk. Things like ice skating, ice hockey, snowboarding and skiing, x skiing, ice fishing, snowmobiling, sledding, etc... are great... but.. not everyone has a snowmobile, or the money to use it all the time, not everyone knows how to or likes to skate, snowboarding and skiing are both skillfull and expensive, ice fishing is a unique niche sport that many of "done", but very few actually know what they are doing and have a true passion for it....

So, in response to the thread, Yes, winters, IMO, are really THAT bad.

Today it is March 11, and it was -8 when I woke up today, and it will be -18 tomorrow. Its really not THAT bad on a micro scale, but when tempuratures like this have been constant since November, 2008, yes it THAT bad.

Like someone said, we all stay because we like it. I stay because I do enjoy the state, but I just hate the winter, especially in Minnesota....it's certainly not going to make me leave.
For some reason, I would like when the temperatures drop to minus 8 Fahrenheit. Cold weather does me very good. It makes me feel invigorated. The weather turned warm in Georgia this week and I keep sweating. Today temps were in the 60's. Still, cold temps would help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul