Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 12:23 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times

Advertisements

I think familiarity with winters up there has made some folks a bit nonchalant about it. The average winter temperature in the Twin Cities is about 12 degrees colder than Indianapolis, and trust me, that 12 degrees makes a difference. The average temperature is at or below freezing in the Twin Cities for a full month longer each year than in Indianapolis. If you're prepared for that, fine. I just happen do disagree with those who claim that winter in the Twin Cities is not materially different than winter in Indianapolis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2009, 01:51 PM

4 posts, read 10,125 times
Default Not bad

yeah its not that bad. You'll adjust.

Old 03-02-2009, 04:15 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnarbar85 View Post
yeah its not that bad. You'll adjust.
Ya just gotta adjust your dress, your driving, and your expectations when it comes to outdoor activities. There aren't fewer options outdoors, just different options.

Old 03-03-2009, 03:35 AM

1 posts, read 4,575 times
Adjust your dress you say? I've been following this conversation from Ireland and I must say I'm getting worried. Will my wool coat, jeans, tall boots, hat and gloves be enough? What will my children wear to school in the winter? Is there special outwear made for this region of the country? Ireland is very cool/cold and wet year round but never deathly cold!

Old 03-03-2009, 06:33 AM

16 posts, read 38,846 times
I hate it. Unless you're a huge ice fisherman or snowmobiler, then I don't get what people like about it.

Old 03-03-2009, 07:14 AM

701 posts, read 1,709,199 times
I think winter here is much better than Chicago. I also prefer it to Pittsburgh, PA winters and those in Fort Wayne, IN. Chicago always has a biting cold with a nasty wind--and slush. Pittsburgh and Ft. Wayne are just grey and slushy. I've been here 10 years now and there was only one winter that drove me crazy. Yes, there are times when it is dreadfully cold, but that doesn't last long. My kids play outside daily, and they only missed one full week--every other week they could at least go out a few days.

The nice thing about winter here is that there is plenty to do, both inside and out, and the sun is almost always shining. That makes a huge difference in perceived temperature and in attitude.

You don't need special clothing of any sort--just a hat, gloves and coat. If you're moving outside, you'll be fine in that most every day. If you have to stand still outside for a long time, you'll need something warmer.

I still think that the hype about Minneapolis winters is the combo of the natives wanting to appear like tough martyrs and also wanting to keep too many people from moving here.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:21 AM

1,669 posts, read 6,235,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraMN View Post
I still think that the hype about Minneapolis winters is the combo of the natives wanting to appear like tough martyrs and also wanting to keep too many people from moving here.
Don't give away our secrets.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:22 AM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraMN View Post
I think winter here is much better than Chicago. I also prefer it to Pittsburgh, PA winters and those in Fort Wayne, IN. Chicago always has a biting cold with a nasty wind--and slush. Pittsburgh and Ft. Wayne are just grey and slushy. I've been here 10 years now and there was only one winter that drove me crazy. Yes, there are times when it is dreadfully cold, but that doesn't last long. My kids play outside daily, and they only missed one full week--every other week they could at least go out a few days.

The nice thing about winter here is that there is plenty to do, both inside and out, and the sun is almost always shining. That makes a huge difference in perceived temperature and in attitude.

You don't need special clothing of any sort--just a hat, gloves and coat. If you're moving outside, you'll be fine in that most every day. If you have to stand still outside for a long time, you'll need something warmer.

I wouldn't doubt that one bit. Many people all over the USA try to use the "bad points" of their localities to keep would-be residents away. Actually, cold weather is what I like so if anyone wants to try and keep me away by saying "it's cold up here", they'll have to come up with something better. With that said, I have known people who move to the South to get away from winter.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:23 AM

1,669 posts, read 6,235,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Punk View Post
I will just tell you one thing. Yesterday, March 1st the temperature in the late morning was around 0.
today is in the low 10s, and we are in freakin march
Is that not normal to you? Is this your first MN winter?

Old 03-03-2009, 08:23 AM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving123456 View Post
Don't give away our secrets.
Too late. I want to be in the TC area because of the snow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul