Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2024, 02:57 AM

121 posts, read 96,661 times

Advertisements

2023 had more than 2022. They changed the definition of homicide to make it appear as it's on the decline. If reported like any other us city, there were more in 2023 than 2022. Why do this?

2020 homicides 87

2021 homicides 102, more than 1995 when there was
97 homicides..

2021 with 102 homicides is the most ever for Minneapolis passing the century mark.

2022 homicides 84

2023 homicides 85

Look at the Data for yourselves..

https://www.minneapolismn.gov/govern...ime-dashboard/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2024, 08:58 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times
I believe I commented on this around 2018 or so. This was when the manner of reporting certain crimes began to change. At that time my concern was rape and sex assault crimes which seemed to go nearly off the radar. I saw the results in my own small city, a college town. The reported statistics were declining but the perception from professionals and public were that assaults were continuing at a steady rate. I believe I commented that cities supported by colleges are averse to reporting sexual assaults for obvious reasons. I personally had evidence of sexual assaults here being charged out as disorderly behavior and disturbing the peace. That's one solution.

Here's an article that explains the way statistics regarding incarceration can be manipulated, and were, to produced desired results. The example is from the 2015 State of the Union address.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...incarceration/

Incidentally, in my experience, articles pointing out the inconsistencies of the existence of crime vs. the reporting of crime are becoming increasingly difficult to find online as compared to ten years ago. I used to have access to a Chicago chat forum run by members of the police force and remember a conversation there where they were discussing how many violence calls they were getting that were impossible to cover. That resulted in no report and no report equaled no crime. So while crime was rampant the reports minimized the amount.

We all can think of other reasons why police response to dangerous situations may be down.

Old 03-19-2024, 10:09 AM

542 posts, read 447,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Progress 1 View Post
2023 had more than 2022. They changed the definition of homicide to make it appear as it's on the decline. If reported like any other us city, there were more in 2023 than 2022. Why do this?

2020 homicides 87

2021 homicides 102, more than 1995 when there was
97 homicides..

2021 with 102 homicides is the most ever for Minneapolis passing the century mark.

2022 homicides 84

2023 homicides 85

Look at the Data for yourselves..

https://www.minneapolismn.gov/govern...ime-dashboard/
What was the previous definition and what is the current definition of a homicide? You said it changed so you need to explain the difference. Who are "they". The FBI or Minneapolis Police. Those are the two entities that deal with the data. The Police report it and FBI puts it into a national database.

Law enforcement reports crime to the FBI and that becomes the official statistics. The weird aspect of this post is that you are focusing on Minneapolis, a place that you claim in a previous post that you couldn't be happier to have left, while living in Florida that has a terrible history about reporting crime. When it comes to incomplete or false data, Florida takes the cake. Over 40% of Florida crime is unreported because law enforcement doesn't bother to submit crime reports to the FBI. I find it odd your fixation on Minneapolis when you live in the a state that the crime stats have exponentially more problems( google glass houses, throwing stones).

PS. The Minneapolis police report this number. They follow the FBI guidelines found here. https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s...c-pages/murder

The FBI’s Uniform Crime Reporting (UCR) Program defines murder and nonnegligent manslaughter as the willful (nonnegligent) killing of one human being by another.

The classification of this offense is based solely on police investigation as opposed to the determination of a court, medical examiner, coroner, jury, or other judicial body. The UCR Program does not include the following situations in this offense classification: deaths caused by negligence, suicide, or accident; justifiable homicides; and attempts to murder or assaults to murder, which are classified as aggravated assaults.

Data collection
In addition to the number of murder offenses known, the UCR Program also encourages law enforcement agencies to report supplementary homicide data as well as information about justifiable homicides that may have occurred within their jurisdictions.

Supplementary Homicide Data—The UCR Program’s supplementary homicide data provide information regarding the age, sex, race, and ethnicity of the murder victim and the offender; the type of weapon used; the relationship of the victim to the offender; and the circumstances surrounding the incident. Law enforcement agencies are asked—but not required—to provide complete supplementary homicide data for each murder they report to the UCR Program. Information gleaned from these supplementary homicide data can be viewed in the Expanded Homicide Data section.

Justifiable homicide—Certain willful killings must be reported as justifiable or excusable. In the UCR Program, justifiable homicide is defined as and limited to:

The killing of a felon by a peace officer in the line of duty.
The killing of a felon, during the commission of a felony, by a private citizen.
Because these killings are determined through law enforcement investigation to be justifiable, they are tabulated separately from murder and nonnegligent manslaughter.

More information about justifiable homicide is furnished in the Expanded Homicide Data section and in Expanded Homicide Data Table 14, “Justifiable Homicide by Weapon, Law Enforcement, 2015–2019,” and Expanded Homicide Data Table 15, “Justifiable Homicide by Weapon, Private Citizen, 2015–2019.”

There are sub categories to homicide....is that what your talking about??? IF that is it, the FBI is the one setting up the sub categories-that is nation wide. Is that the deal your talking about? I'm expecting an Alpha news articles or some other conservative spin. I am not seeing the issue.

Last edited by TheGrandViking; 03-19-2024 at 11:28 AM..

Old 03-22-2024, 08:05 AM

1,345 posts, read 876,112 times
You're obsessed with Minneapolis and their murders lol. Minneapolis in 2023 has more people than in 95. So the murder rate is still lower than in 95. And the city still recovered after 95. People act like the same won't happen again because they didn't want it to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul