Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2023, 09:37 AM

55 posts, read 55,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iameexc View Post
Look, I have no interest in bickering with you. You have an agenda of promoting Blake, and that’s your right to do. It’s hard for me to understand why you would claim to have students at Breck, and then use many different threads (including the one that you just started (and was closed by moderators) to promote Blake. Folks who are interested in these schools should absolutely read the Blake or Breck School thread (now closed by moderators). It’s a great thread, and has all of the information needed for informed school visits.

Blake and Breck are extremely different schools. Any family who attends Blake can attest to the fact that they are very involved in pushing publicity (like the article attached above), and they strongly encourage their parents to participate in the “rankings” interviews. Breck never, even one time, has done any of this since we have been there (many years), and they still do extremely well. Blake is not just interested in, but hugely involved in, self-promotion. One might say that this is a smart strategy, but from hearing years of stories about Blake, and hearing about so many Blake students trying to get into Breck (and never the reverse), and after talking to teachers who have left Breck for reasons that all seem to be related to the school having a disjointed, materialistic and pressure cooker environment, I thinking doing a lot of diligence before choosing Blake would be a very sensible thing to do.

As I think I previously mentioned, Breck requires students to learn about people and religions from all of the world. Blake, which, per the article you shared has a white reputation, does not. These schools are for different people with different beliefs. If you are a person who is offended by the idea of your children learning about people of other beliefs and religions (on an equal basis, with a small portion of student’s time), then Breck is not for you. If, however, you want excellent teachers who collaborate on projects across subjects, careful consideration of strategies that will keep children from entering the unwinnable rat race of materialism that no one ever wins and only starts kids on a path toward a life of misery, careful consideration of the most effective strategies to keep kids from being glued to phones and social media, and an environment where making students into amazing and unique students comes first, then Breck is incomparably a better option than Blake. If you care about rankings, go to Blake.

Again, anyone who is considering these schools should visit them. Ask to meet with teachers, and ask how they collaborate with other departments. You will find that Blake teachers are completely on their own, while Breck teachers have a high level of collaboration and coordination. Students learn so much about effective leadership from the approach at Breck.

Old 10-07-2023, 09:46 AM

And, on a separate note, you originally claimed to have students at Breck. I think you walked that back as it became apparent quickly that you do not. In either case though, assuming that you do have students at Breck, why have you been posting on several different threads about how bad Breck is and how great Blake is in the rankings? You have been trying so hard to convince people about Blake that your thread yesterday was shut by moderators. I think that Breck is even more expensive than Blake, so why would you spend so much money to send your kids there, and then continuously bash the school in so many places?

If the truth is just that you are one of the families who didn't get into Breck, and I know that number is high these days, just air your gripes and be straight forward with people. If you feel like you wasted money at Blake and are just taking a fan-boy approach to feel better, just be honest about it. Using multiple threads to carry out your campaign of baseless disparagement isn't helping anyone, including you.

Old 10-07-2023, 01:59 PM

47 posts, read 29,620 times
I agree that people should look at the schools themselves, because things can change over time.

Old 10-07-2023, 02:11 PM

Quote:
I agree that people should look at the schools themselves, because things can change over time.
Absolutely true!!

Old 10-08-2023, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freezemont View Post
Absolutely true!!
If Breck really wants to attract applicants who are not so religious, then it should make the yearly mandatory religion courses optional instead. Weekly chapel is already a lot. Religion courses make it extreme. When we applied we were told chapel would be biweekly or monthly.

Kumon-style homework definitely fits lots of kids. Kumon is not the worst.

Old 10-08-2023, 09:50 AM

Quote:
If Breck really wants to attract applicants who are not so religious, then it should make the yearly mandatory religion courses optional instead. Weekly chapel is already a lot. Religion courses make it extreme. When we applied we were told chapel would be biweekly or monthly.

Kumon-style homework definitely fits lots of kids. Kumon is not the worst.
We’re not religious at all, and we don’t know anyone any Breck who is. As I mentioned previously, Breck just requires students to understand all different religions. It’s not a religious school, in that one religion isn’t favored over another. My kids don’t even talk about the religious stuff much as it is minor. There’s never religious homework. I actually almost didn’t visit Breck initially as I assumed that it was a religious school, and I’m so thankful I took the time to visit. In any case, you already said that your kids think religion is boring, so it sounds like you have many options that would be better for you. Personally, we love the fact that when we travel our kids understand people from different parts of the world. That’s just us..

No idea about kumon homework. That’s not a thing in any grade at Breck.

Old 10-11-2023, 09:18 PM

Last year we got a lower school teacher who was more into her PE coach job. This year, we got a teacher who makes mistakes during almost every class. It has become our routine to talk about the teacher’s mistakes on our way home from school now…lol…

Old 10-20-2023, 03:42 PM

If you can get in, switch to Breck and that won't happen.

Old 10-28-2023, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freezemont View Post
If you can get in, switch to Breck and that won't happen.
You mean leave Breck instead?

Old 10-28-2023, 03:00 PM

Quote:
You mean leave Breck instead?
No. Two threads have already been closed so that CD can avoid the liability of your false claims about Breck. Of COURSE you aren't badmouthing Breck in multiple threads and then paying for your children to go there. Please knock it off before another thread is closed due to your false claims. If this continues, there will likely be an IP trace and we will have to make sure that the relevant schools know of your activity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul