Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2023, 09:09 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,695,327 times

Advertisements

I grew up in D196. I mean, we still made jokes that every kid drove a Mustang to school, but generally speaking it didn't wreak of pretentiousness the way some schools do. Despite being a good district, it felt fairly middle america to me.

Old 05-21-2023, 02:15 PM

2,869 posts, read 1,148,568 times
My recommendation is to discuss this with a realtor. They have the inside scoop as far as districts are concerned. Good Luck!

Old 05-22-2023, 02:04 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,186,934 times
I went to Hopkins High School, although many years ago. Some areas that are in the district a less affluent, some very affluent. It a decent mix.

Old 10-04-2023, 01:29 PM

47 posts, read 29,499 times
I believe that people get rich for a reason - there must be something special they have that we can learn. Some of them are good at educating their children, and it feels good to let our kids be friends with their kids. Some others may not be so good at education, but that's OK too - kids can learn what is unsuccessful parenting. No matter where we send our children to, there are always people that we like and we don't. I personally feel that wealthier suburbs have more like-minded people. My children are still at Breck School, although I have been attacked by Breck's "online administrator". I visited several Minnetonka and Wayzata pubic schools. I liked all of them.

Last edited by iameexc; 10-04-2023 at 01:47 PM..

Old 10-04-2023, 10:07 PM

1,935 posts, read 5,829,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iameexc View Post
I believe that people get rich for a reason - there must be something special they have that we can learn. Some of them are good at educating their children, and it feels good to let our kids be friends with their kids. Some others may not be so good at education, but that's OK too - kids can learn what is unsuccessful parenting. No matter where we send our children to, there are always people that we like and we don't. I personally feel that wealthier suburbs have more like-minded people. My children are still at Breck School, although I have been attacked by Breck's "online administrator". I visited several Minnetonka and Wayzata pubic schools. I liked all of them.
You will likely learn that wealth is most often the result of persons being born into the upper echelons of privilege.

Also- something to be mindful of: multiple studies have found that adolescents from affluent families in America are at high-risk for adjustment and behavioral health issues (e.g. depression, anxiety, substance use disorder, etc.). I am guessing this phenomenon is exacerbated when said affluent youth are surrounded by eachother in pressure cooker environments.

Old 10-05-2023, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camden Northsider View Post
You will likely learn that wealth is most often the result of persons being born into the upper echelons of privilege.

Also- something to be mindful of: multiple studies have found that adolescents from affluent families in America are at high-risk for adjustment and behavioral health issues (e.g. depression, anxiety, substance use disorder, etc.). I am guessing this phenomenon is exacerbated when said affluent youth are surrounded by each other in pressure cooker environments.
I understand what you are referring to. Our children have billionaire classmates. Our older child rarely talk with these kids - they belong to different friend groups. Some rich kids tried to bribe our younger child for homework help...lol. We don't see them influenced by these kids much.

I think adjustment problems are related with many things, like personality and parenting style. I think what is happening at home matters more than school. We are very relaxed parents at home. Our children are very motivated to learn new things, just like us - we are very driven with our work. We never push them to do anything. Usually they beg us for extra-curriculum activities and ask if we have time to make the arrangements.

I agree with the statement by another author that for average to good students, Breck is an OK place (except some teacher who struggles with vocabulary and does not know how to write paragraphs), but Blake values academic excellence more than Breck and is better for truly gifted students. It is a bit disappointing to see that Breck repeatedly discourages gifted students from exploring their academic interests and their own creative ideas - they don't seem to know how to handle these students or they are simply unwilling to accomodate them. Our older one did say that we don't have to listen to them...lol.

Last edited by iameexc; 10-05-2023 at 12:42 AM..

Old 10-06-2023, 11:55 AM

55 posts, read 55,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iameexc View Post
It's quite interesting how you claim to have children at Breck, and yet you disparage it non-stop. I definitely recommend that all readers check out your very interesting prospectives in the Blake or Breck School thread.

Last edited by Freezemont; 10-06-2023 at 12:18 PM..

Old 10-06-2023, 12:18 PM

55 posts, read 55,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camden Northsider View Post

Also- something to be mindful of: multiple studies have found that adolescents from affluent families in America are at high-risk for adjustment and behavioral health issues (e.g. depression, anxiety, substance use disorder, etc.). I am guessing this phenomenon is exacerbated when said affluent youth are surrounded by eachother in pressure cooker environments.
Agree completely.

Old 10-07-2023, 03:00 AM

Here is a relevant article:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johntam...h=165c36c84749

Old 10-07-2023, 03:31 AM

There are definitely good things and bad things to be surrounded by rich kids. Their families are the driving force of the school. Each private school is different.

From yesterday.

===

"It is with immense gratitude and great enthusiasm that we share with you the impact of generosity in our school community. I am honored to announce that *** have made a $1 million gift to the *** Center for ***".

*** are the parents of ***. Throughout their time at Breck, they have demonstrated a passion for ....... *** work as a Board of Trustees member, trustee liaison to the ***, member of the ***'s advisory board, and unwavering advocate for .......

Every Breck student will benefit from this gift. We could not be more grateful for this partnership and support. Please join me in extending our gratitude to *** and congratulating *** on this exciting work.

===

If you can make good use of these resources, definitely go for it, and make your own contributions as well. On the other hand, if you cannot get what you need, no matter how rich the school is, it is not a good fit.

Last edited by iameexc; 10-07-2023 at 04:38 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul