Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2021, 05:22 AM

4,430 posts, read 2,704,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camden Northsider View Post
Congrats and welcome to MSP!

As you're likely aware, the Twin Cities in general are very friendly to LGBT families (*the biblical rant you encountered here would most definitely qualify as "aberrant behavior" ). --And Golden Valley is one of the more progressive suburbs you could have landed in. Best of luck in your relocation and getting settled in!
Also, the largest employer in Golden Valley - General Mills, where I spent a dozen nice years - is very welcoming to LGBT individuals and families. When I was there, some clown recorded himself burning a box of Cheerios on GM property in protest of the company's opposition to the ban same-sex marriage amendment referendum. Of course, it just makes sense for a business to seek out talent without regard for archaic notions of who is allowed to love who. Whether a local works there or not, such a place has a noticeable community impact in its inclusiveness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2021, 02:42 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,088,385 times
Pretty much anywhere in the metro is going to be a decent place for an LGBT couple to live, though Golden Valley is certainly a popular community for same-sex couples. I'd say it's more of a middle-aged and older crowd there, though.

As a gay person myself, I'd feel perfectly comfortable in literally any suburban community in the Twin Cities.

Old 09-03-2021, 09:56 AM

118 posts, read 95,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snebarekim View Post
That made me lol, Ha!

Laughing and making fun is a good thing

That made me laugh too !!, but not as much as these:

[Mod cut: non contributory]

Last edited by elnina; 09-03-2021 at 09:47 PM..

Old 09-04-2021, 09:46 AM

542 posts, read 447,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkaniLTD View Post
Laughing and making fun is a good thing

That made me laugh too !!, but not as much as these:
A Florida man.... spreading his wisdom.

Original poster:

I do think it would be helpful in a year or so indicating your experience in the area. There are no laws or structure that will hinder your experience. I doubt you will experience anyone directly confronting or harassing you in your area (not impossible though). The biggest problem most non-native born minnesotans experience, regardless of sexual orientation, is forming friendships with the natives (look to the transplants first that have a common interest who are more open to new friends). You apparently added a city that will celebrate your sexuality-I was not aware of that- with a parade.

Is there a place you want to avoid? The only problem area you might run into is the some of the rural areas or exurbs. Even there, I would just be more alert than assuming a problem.

Old 09-06-2021, 12:36 PM

512 posts, read 473,985 times
You'll be find in any of the first ring suburbs of Minneapolis (i.e. Edina, Golden Valley, Richfield) and St. Paul. But to be honest, many of the suburbanites in Hennepen and Ramsey Counties are not "hard-core" in their ideologies and are fiscally conservative more than anything, so they won't really care if you are LGBT. I would stay out of most parts of Anoka County if you are LGBT. Lots of cultural warriors reside out there.

Edit: It looks like you made a good decision to move to Golden Valley. Good luck!

Old 09-08-2021, 01:19 PM

I actually grew up in Anoka County (Ramsey) and lived there for several years of my adult life as an openly gay person. Never had any issues at all. No one cares.

In general, people mind their own business in Minnesota, especially if they're your neighbors. There's a culture of conflict avoidance and you'll notice that for sure if you're not originally from the Upper Midwest.

Old 08-28-2023, 09:49 AM

1 posts, read 1,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chgomspbound View Post
LOL, Thanks.
We actually found a place quickly, in Golden Valley. Hopefully we will be neighbors and can celebrate homosexuality together.
Have you been able to successfully celebrate homosexuality in Golden Valley since moving?

Lol. My partner and I are looking to move to Minneapolis (from Columbus, OH) and I'd be interested in your thoughts on how it's going for you, as well as if you think there are any other places in the area that could work. Any thoughts since moving?

Old 08-29-2023, 06:58 PM

10 posts, read 15,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upwardstransjectory View Post
Have you been able to successfully celebrate homosexuality in Golden Valley since moving?

Lol. My partner and I are looking to move to Minneapolis (from Columbus, OH) and I'd be interested in your thoughts on how it's going for you, as well as if you think there are any other places in the area that could work. Any thoughts since moving?
Are you looking now? Gay Golden Valley resident here and listed my house a few weeks ago. We haven’t found a buyer yet. Our neighborhood has many lgbtq residents and lots of allies!

Old 08-29-2023, 08:54 PM

Neighboring St. Louis Park is another hotspot for quee r couples, especially first-time homebuyers.

One of my good friends just moved with his husband up to Dayton (far northwestern suburbs) and they really love it.

Old 09-01-2023, 01:33 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,153,485 times
There's that openmindedness most of the world's religions like to pretend to embrace, when in reality what you most often get is unsolicited sanctimony (you literally had no advice to offer OP, yet you chose to pipe in anyways) and intolerance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkaniLTD View Post
If we would be neighbors I guarantee you that I, like most, would be civil, primarily due to the edits of my faith and religion.
So, as a human being first, you are incapable of being civil - you need a fairy tale book written by clever men thousands of years ago, mostly to control and enslave the less clever, to tell you how to act? Seems reasonable.
Quote:
Similarly I would guarantee you that I would not celebrate ("with you") your homosexuality or any other aberrant behavior
One may argue that choosing to base how you act on ancient texts rather than common sense and decency also qualifies as aberrant behavior.
Quote:
God Bless, and let's keep praying...together. All things are possible with the Grace of God !
Yeah, that's a hard pass there, friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul