Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2015, 12:01 PM

130 posts, read 254,787 times

Advertisements

Hi there. Lots of other threads ask about LGBT-friendly suburbs and they all seemingly say Oak Park or Evanston. Cool, Evanston is on our list... but we're looking for something with bigger lot sizes and a little slower pace. We're trying to stay on the North Shore.

Does anyone have any insight on places like Glenview, Northbrook, Northfield, Kenilworth, or Winnetka? It's hard to get a vibe just by driving through. I know some places are wealthy but that doesn't necessarily mean LGBT-friendly or not so... thanks for your insights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2015, 12:43 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,370,617 times
The relative interest that a well off gay family would generate in any town that they'd move to is pretty low. I have had gay couples as clients that bought homes in Riverside, Hinsdale, Clarendon Hills and Downers Grove. They've all been very happy with the public schools that they send their kids to, the relative "non-issue" it is for "two daddies" one parent's night and even social things like block parties and kids playing together / sports.

The fact is attitudes in the real world are pretty much like that of TV shows -- just Cliff & Clair Huxtable reminded the world that there are lots of professionally employed African Americans so to have Cameron & Mitchell reminded folks that the suburbs are excellent place for raising kids.

If you do not have kids there are still valid reasons for a gay couple to consider suburban living. Significantly lower crime, much nicer municipal amenities, architecturally unique homes, and speedy access to suburban employment are all things that make sense regardless of sexual orientation.

Fairly sure that unless you want to garden in a getup that is more along the lines of chaps styled for "International Mr. Leather" than the gear you'd get at Duluth Trading or Burpee.com no one will care about your sexual orientation...

Old 12-06-2015, 12:50 PM

Fair enough... but I think you'd be surprised how unwelcome that even well-meaning people can make you feel. I've personally experienced it in many areas that people like you would likely consider to be "non-issue" areas. I also have friends in Evanston who have been less-than-thrilled with how they were treated at schools; in Oak Park who were excluded from the PTA because they were a two-mom family... so while you don't think it's a valid question, apparently, it still is. (With all due respect, of course- I don't mean to sound rude).

Old 12-06-2015, 12:57 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,370,617 times
Technically the PTA is "voluntary" and I can imagine that if some "mean girl" type moms want to act like childish fools and exclude others that can happen even in "peace loving No Nukes / Sanctuary City" Oak Park.

There are idiots that can crawl out of their holes even in Chicago to try to voice their bigoted behavior. Teenagers of 2915: The T in LGBT: A Different Kind of Fight

Old 12-06-2015, 01:05 PM

Of course. My question is about the places, in other people's experiences, that are the least likely to have those crawling idiots within the narrow area I've identified.

Old 12-06-2015, 07:08 PM

213 posts, read 227,776 times
Evanston would be your best bet, but other lakefront suburbs (particularly the ones that are heavily Jewish) would work as well. Unfortunately, they tend to be on the expensive side. I've seen pride flag stickers on cars in downtown Highland Park before, FWIW.

Old 12-06-2015, 08:32 PM

939 posts, read 2,380,307 times
Highland Park is not on your list but it should be.

Old 12-06-2015, 08:39 PM

Thanks! It just feels SO far from the city, even though I guess it's not that much further away than the places on my list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paige65 View Post
Highland Park is not on your list but it should be.

Old 12-06-2015, 08:59 PM

35 posts, read 71,143 times
Forget about Kenilworth/Winnetka - just too conservative IMO, even if well-meaning as you say.

Old 12-07-2015, 07:32 AM

1,349 posts, read 1,707,420 times
No one is going to be able to tell you exactly how your experience would be. I would guess the uber-wealthy towns may be a touch more conservative (Kennilworth, Winnetka...)

I don't know that there's a way to differentiate much between Northbrook, Glenview, HP etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs