Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will the Minneapolis/St. Paul area ever recover from the riots? Or has it already?
Yes, the Minneapolis/St. Paul area will recover from the riots. 39 40.21%
No, the Minneapolis/St. Paul area will never recover from the riots. 42 43.30%
The Minneapolis/St. Paul area has already recovered from the riots. 16 16.49%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2020, 02:34 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,707,478 times

Advertisements

^
In fairness to those posters, I don’t think anyone has argued that Minneapolis and Detroit are currently at the same point.

Instead their argument (which I believe is seriously flawed) is that the undeniable decline in Detroit’s fortunes was attributable to the 1967 riots and, therefore, one can conclude that the 2020 Minneapolis riots will lead to a similar decline.

FWIW, I believe the causes of Detroit’s decline were much more complex and predate 1967, while the threats to Minneapolis’ well being stem from misguided and ideologically driven leadership.

Old 12-29-2020, 02:50 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,083,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandViking View Post
Since this site is called city data, let's look at some data.

.................................................. ................................Detroit....vs..Min neapolis
Population........................................ ...........................670,031......429,606
Owner-occupied housing unit rate...................................47.2%...... ..47.2%
Median value of owner-occupied housing units.................$49,200.......$251,600
Median selected monthly owner costs -with a mortgage.....$1,099 .......$1,714
Median selected monthly owner costs -without a mortgage.$451..........$643
Median gross rent.............................................. ............$824..........$1,027
Bachelor's degree or higher............................................ .15.3% .......50.4%
With a disability, under age 65 years, percent....................15.3%........8.9%
Persons without health insurance, under age 65 years.........9.6..............7.2
Median household income............................................ ..$30,894.......$62,583
Per capita income............................................ .............$18,621.......$38,808
Persons in poverty........................................... ..............35%............19.1%

We can compare the cities, but there is really no reasonable similarites between the cities except for the home ownership rate statistic. The medium value of Minneapolis homes is 5 times greater than Detroit and household and per capita income are twice as much in Minneapolis. The people with bachelors or higher is 3x greater in Minneapolis. If you wanted to find a similiar area, I would suggest the city of Milwaukee, but even there, Milwaukee probably out performs Detroit.

Crime. Detroit had 261 murders last year. The whole minnesota had 117 (the second highest in 10 years). So, the population of 670,000 has bit more than 2x the total murders of the entire state of 5.8 million. Violent crime is double per 100,000 than minneapolis. Detroit wishes it had our "problems".

Even with the recent spike in crime, Minneapolis will have a far lower murder rate and crime rate than Detroit and it won't even be close.

Only a person with a complete lack of understanding of basic statistics would try to draw similarites between the two cities. Clearly, those posters who want to draw parallels between the two cities have either a personal failing in math or the system failed to provide basic statistical education.
St.paul/Minneapolis are like one city to me.

And when you look for info on major cities with all four sports leagues represented, sites include the Wild (st.paul) in with the Minneapolis metro.

With that in mind, Detroit proper is similar in size to MSP proper.

Old 01-01-2021, 10:31 AM

162 posts, read 155,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
St.paul/Minneapolis are like one city to me.
They are not one city. You are very misguided.

Old 01-01-2021, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloatOn View Post
They are not one city. You are very misguided.
They basically are like one city. Not literally, but in a lot of ways they are.

Which is why, when you see lists of Metropolitan areas in America with all four major pro sports teams, they include MSP on the list of 13 even though the Wild are across the River.

And I have lived in the Twin Cities proper my whole life - I will be the judge of where I live, thank you.

Old 01-01-2021, 12:28 PM

3,773 posts, read 5,322,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
They basically are like one city. Not literally, but in a lot of ways they are.

And I have lived in the Twin Cities proper my whole life - I will be the judge of where I live, thank you.
I got to downtown St. Paul last weekend. There were a lot of store fronts with "For Sale" and "For Lease" signs in their windows. Those must be the "signs" of the hot property market that the others are posting about.

Old 01-01-2021, 01:03 PM

Part of the reason I view the Twin Cities as one big city as someone who grew up and still lives in St. Paul - and a lot of people who grew up in St. Paul I think will attest to this - is that if we ever wanted to go to a club we always had to go to Downtown Minneapolis. Similarly, a lot of major musicians play in Minneapolis - there aren't a lot of clubs in St. Paul that a major musician will even play. There was no real nightlife in St. Paul - it was all in Downtown Minneapolis.

Old 01-01-2021, 04:09 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,707,478 times
I think Minneapolis and St Paul are certainly part of the same urban area, but each have a distinctive feel. It’s not like, say Eden Prairie and Chanhasssen where you couldn’t tell they were different cities without the signs.

Old 01-02-2021, 10:36 AM

1,347 posts, read 876,112 times
Minneapolis and St Paul are like two boroughs in one city

Old 01-02-2021, 10:48 AM

I'm not saying they aren't their own cities with their own governments - they are. That would be denying reality. (though the Mayors and Councils of both places basically are all cut from the same "woke" clothe.)

I am just saying in theory, for a lot of us kids who grew up in St. Paul - whenever we wanted nightlife we had to go to Downtown Minneapolis for that. If you wanted to see the fancy cars or see a national music act a lot of time we had to go to Minneapolis. So to me I always kind of viewed the Twin Cities as one big city (in theory).

In that regard, population wise, we are similar in size to a place like Detroit (though Detroit used to be far greater in size than MSP ever was).

Old 01-02-2021, 11:50 PM

61,649 posts, read 87,023,434 times
OK, after establishing that ^^^, can we please go back on topic???
Also this is not a city vs city thread.
Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul