Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2020, 01:17 PM

2,400 posts, read 758,498 times

Advertisements

Remember this at the voting booth. Vote conservative if you want positive change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2020, 02:17 PM

6,601 posts, read 7,214,686 times
Few city council members are looking to disband the police department and have a non armed people attempt to do things. This is hilarious, glad I only choose to visit Mpls occasionally for work and bars and don’t live there.

https://alphanewsmn.com/minneapolis-city-council/

Old 06-03-2020, 03:14 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,745,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
Few city council members are looking to disband the police department and have a non armed people attempt to do things. This is hilarious, glad I only choose to visit Mpls occasionally for work and bars and don’t live there.

https://alphanewsmn.com/minneapolis-city-council/
They’re campaigning on this.

Old 06-03-2020, 03:32 PM

1,771 posts, read 1,701,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
They’re campaigning on this.
They've basically lost their minds. Look, I agree that changes need to be made from a policing standpoint and that the biggest issue is that there are people wearing a police uniform who shouldn't be part of the force but for them to assume that they can maintain peace and order with some unarmed civilian force is lunacy. Gangs and violent criminals would eat those civilians alive.

Old 06-03-2020, 04:01 PM

3,342 posts, read 1,837,394 times
Where better than MNSP, a very liberal municipality, to try out such an idea?
If it works, yay!
If it doesn't, well, lesson learned.
Besides, how could it be any worse than this massive ĈlusterFµ©k we have now?

Last edited by PamelaIamela; 06-03-2020 at 04:47 PM..

Old 06-03-2020, 04:29 PM

3,816 posts, read 6,473,936 times
Why are they talking about disarming the police? No weapons were used to kill George Floyd as far as I've heard......just a bunch of improperly trained, stupid cops who shouldn't have even been wearing a uniform to begin with. I'll reiterate that this falls upon the police chief and the mayor to identify and address BEFORE something like this happens (again). Since they didn't, I can only assume all the big talk of MPD reform was nothing more than grandstanding. That makes Frey and Arradondo accomplices to what these cops did in my book.

Minneapolis was already a cop hating, ultra liberal city before all this. They're gonna have to invent a new word for what it's going to be from now on. Who on earth would even consider joining whatever that department winds up being on the heels of this latest disaster and knowing the whole world is waiting to destroy you for even blinking the wrong way at a suspect?

Old 06-03-2020, 05:02 PM

8,086 posts, read 10,681,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyryztoll View Post

They're gonna have to invent a new word for what it's going to be from now on. Who on earth would even consider joining whatever that department winds up being on the heels of this latest disaster and knowing the whole world is waiting to destroy you for even blinking the wrong way at a suspect?
Exactly. Do they think if they get rid of the current police force, there will be candidates just lining up to take these jobs? Who in their right mind would want the job? Soon we will have no police officers, because no one will feel it's worth the stress. There are already shortages of officers and state troopers across the country. When we have no one who wants to be in law enforcement, we really will have no rule of law.

There will be no calling "911" for assistance. We'll all just have to defend ourselves and our families on our own.

Old 06-03-2020, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaIamela View Post
If it works, yay!
Well, one way is for what’s been happening for a week to spread all over the metro until the take everything we have, burn all our houses, and kill us all. I guess that’s one way it could be worse, Pam.

PS. LOL if you think it would stop at the city/ suburb borders.

Old 06-03-2020, 05:10 PM

I don’t usually quote myself, but I wrote this on another thread and it seems relevant here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
We don’t have cops to protect the law abiding citizen, we have cops to protect people accused of crimes and to ensure that they receive due process. Think back to areas of the Old West before there were lawman on the scene. If someone was accused of a crime, “justice” was administered on the spot. The public was safe but innocent people were often hanged.

This was the abysmal failure of MPD: they failed to protect George Floyd and ensure that he received the protection to which someone accused of a crime is entitled. Whether they caused his death, well let’s wait for the autopsy reports and let a jury decide. But it’s pretty clear that they deprived him of his rights and the Feds are on that case already. They just customarily wait for the state to adjudicate its charges.

If those who call for the abolishment of the police force— and there are a few on our city council— got their way, it would be at the expense of the criminals, not the law abiding citizens. Forced to protect themselves, we’d no longer have jails, probation, deferred prosecution agreements or any of that. There would be no repeat offenders.

That’s not the world I want to live in.
I hope you all understand that this is an effort by all the parties responsible for the collapse of discipline and failure of leadership to avoid responsibility, from the governor down through the mayor, council members, police chief, and precinct inspectors of the MPD. Years of promotion based on race, sex, and sexual orientation over merit have destroyed MPD.

If the leadership can pull this off they can, once again, push it off on the street cops and avoid all responsibility for their incompetence.

Old 06-03-2020, 08:11 PM

3,875 posts, read 4,714,981 times
Default Why nothing is done..

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaIamela View Post
If it works, yay!
Your words "worse" & "cluster..." must be referring to the mess that America finds itself in such that General Mattis FINALLY spoke up today & let djt fully have it in a broadside!

If not, I apologize as I'm sure that you are writing & posting about that true "cluster" with national implications in another thread, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul