Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 04:58 PM
Pia Pia started this thread

19 posts, read 156,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnehahapolitan View Post
The Wayzata Gold Coast and Lake Mtka. in general from Excelsior to Wayzata is old estate money. Orono and Medina have the highest incomes and homes tend to be more like horse ranches, hobby farm things. That money is a little newer. Edina is older money, Indian Hills, Interlachen (both more secluded) and Country Club (more of a neighborhood feel, smaller lots with old estates) are nicest. In the city of Mpls., you have areas such as Kenwood and Isles (esp. Mount Curve Avenue).
I can't think of a comprehensive list of Catholic Elems., Carondelet in SW Mpls. and Our Lady of Grace in Edina always seems in the limelight to me. The major High Schools are DeLaSalle on Nicollet Is. (basically in the Mississippi) and Benilde-Saint Margaret's on Hwy. 100.
I'm sorry , I'm not from US..what does 'limelight' means?

Thanks,

xox
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2008, 05:01 PM
Pia Pia started this thread

19 posts, read 156,162 times
And another question...

anyone knows of a city/neighborhood where foreigners/expats live?

Thanks,

Pia

Old 04-27-2008, 06:02 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,108,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pia View Post
I was also thinking of living in a nice gated community, with a golf course and country club and a school inside the community; if possible.....Is there anything like this in the Hennepin County?
I suspect you won't find anything like that in the entire state.

Old 04-27-2008, 06:47 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,239,561 times
Quote:
I was also thinking of living in a nice gated community, with a golf course and country club and a school inside the community; if possible.....Is there anything like this in the Hennepin County?

Thanks,

xx
MN doesn't have much for "gated communities" compared to some other states.

Old 04-27-2008, 06:57 PM

534 posts, read 490,424 times
So...it sounds like you want a luxury survivalist bunker compound where you don't have to leave? I don't know of any of those...you have to venture forth into the great unwashed for SOME things.

However, BearPath in Eden Prairie is gated, and it is also a club and golf course, and North Oaks in Shoreview, while not gated, has each resident car tagged and it is rumored that cars that aren't tagged are likely to be stopped.

I don't live in these places, nor have I tried to infiltrate them in any nefarious way, so I cannot personally assure you how safe they are.

The city/neighborhood where foreigners/expats live? Phillips neighborhood and Cedar-Riverside in Minneapolis come to mind...oh, did you mean rich expats? My best guess is that they "blend" with the native rich in their natural habitats, instead of occupying their own expat part of town.

Good luck with your search.

Joanna

Old 04-27-2008, 07:27 PM

481 posts, read 1,818,840 times
Quote:
Typically communities which have gated communities need gated communities, this has not been our experience. However, there are a few: Gated Communites in Minnesota

A couple key fair-use quotes:

"The concept of fencing people out of the neighborhood is a little foreign to most Minnesotans"

"The City of North Oaks. This city really isn’t a gated community anymore. The gates were taken down because the teenagers kept passing out the security codes. According to their webpage, they are trying to shed the image of “exclusive and affluent”"

You see, this is something our grandparents and great-grandparents kind of walked away from...and the attitude still sticks to some extent.
Swedish emigration to the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Now, no one's going to get in your face about living in a gated community, but most people here would find it odd. There may be very legitimate reasons for it such as business travel that keeps your home vacant for months at a time, but it could also end up being a conversation killer because people just would not know how to deal with it.

People were asking for more information because your question was pretty broad, and they wanted to make sure they gave you good information.

As for your other questions, golfgal would probably have the best answers. I think most immigrants with skills & money (Indians, mostly) would be in the western suburbs. I don't think there's a Euro-specific area but that may be because they'd blend in with the general population and wouldn't feel the need to cloister themselves.

Old 04-27-2008, 07:36 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,569,365 times
Quote:
I'm sorry , I'm not from US..what does 'limelight' means?

Thanks,

xox
There is more name recognition, they are more talked about.

Old 04-27-2008, 07:37 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,569,365 times
Quote:
And another question...

anyone knows of a city/neighborhood where foreigners/expats live?

Thanks,

Pia
In general, no. There are places where there are large and concentrated numbers of South Asians, Hispanics, et. cetera.

Old 04-28-2008, 03:12 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,355,946 times
The closest thing I can think of would be the area around Interlachen in Edina. It isn't gated but would have a similar feel. Again, you are looking in the millions for a home there.

I think you will find foreigners in pretty much every neighborhood around the twin cities metro area. You won't find 'one' area where they 'all' live.

Just a word of advice, if you come into Minnesota with an elitist attitude you are going to have a hard time fitting in.

Old 04-28-2008, 06:42 AM

987 posts, read 3,821,757 times
Have you been to Minneapolis? Minneapolis is a place where CEO's live next to retired grandparents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul