Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2020, 12:23 PM

12 posts, read 8,459 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
My family is moving to Minneapolis this summer 2020. And we are looking to rent a 2-bedroom house or apartment. My children will attend middle school next school year.

My current school district and some school districts that I know give priority of enrollment to the students who live in the attendance zone (i.e. where the school serve the community). The students outside of the attendance zone will be put on the waiting list if they enroll outside of their attendance zone.

My question is that whether the rule applies to the Minneapolis School District (and surrounding school districts like Edina, Minnetonka..). Because we don't want to fall into the situation that we rent a house/apartment within attendance zone of school X (which we think good review, close...) but it turns out that we/our children will be assigned to a different school (which usually not as a good fit, further..) due to our late enrollment in July.

My second question is that what websites or resources that I can use to search for the rent. I currently use some websites like craiglist, zillow, niche, apartments....

Thank you very much for your information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2020, 04:21 PM

2,105 posts, read 4,601,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnhannah View Post
Hi all,
My family is moving to Minneapolis this summer 2020. And we are looking to rent a 2-bedroom house or apartment. My children will attend middle school next school year.

My current school district and some school districts that I know give priority of enrollment to the students who live in the attendance zone (i.e. where the school serve the community). The students outside of the attendance zone will be put on the waiting list if they enroll outside of their attendance zone.

My question is that whether the rule applies to the Minneapolis School District (and surrounding school districts like Edina, Minnetonka..). Because we don't want to fall into the situation that we rent a house/apartment within attendance zone of school X (which we think good review, close...) but it turns out that we/our children will be assigned to a different school (which usually not as a good fit, further..) due to our late enrollment in July.

My second question is that what websites or resources that I can use to search for the rent. I currently use some websites like craiglist, zillow, niche, apartments....

Where will you be working? That will help other posters give better information.

Old 04-09-2020, 05:52 PM

6,556 posts, read 7,136,101 times
I know nothing of school districts, but I've heard PadMapper is great rental resource.

Old 04-09-2020, 11:47 PM

Thank you for your insight.
I will be working in the downtown area. A two year contract, so I will look for house/apartment to rent.

Old 04-10-2020, 06:36 AM

6,556 posts, read 7,136,101 times
If you can afford it, look in the 50th and France area of Edina or Southwest Mpls.

Old 04-10-2020, 10:47 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,711,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnhannah View Post
Hi all,

The Minneapolis school district is in the process of redrawing all their school attendance boundaries. No one knows at this point where anyone will be going when it’s all done. The school board has said that perhaps half of the students will have to change schools.

Old 04-10-2020, 11:00 AM

Thank you for your reply. Let me give more specific information.
Let say I found an apartment at 2915 W 50th St, Minneapolis, MN 55410 (Fulton Terrace) within attendance zone of Lake Harriet Upper School (Minneapolis Public School District).

My question is that will my children be guaranteed to study at Lake Harriet Upper School?

Old 04-10-2020, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
The Minneapolis school district is in the process of redrawing all their school attendance boundaries. No one knows at this point where anyone will be going when it’s all done. The school board has said that perhaps half of the students will have to change schools.
Thank you for your information. So school year of 2020-2021 no-one knows where they will be going because of the redrawing.
Let say school year of 2021-2022 after the redrawing, everyone knows where they will be going. Will attendance zone rules apply?

My inquiry is not specific for Minneapolis Public School District, but generally for other surrounding districts like Edina PSD, Minnetonka PSD...

Old 04-12-2020, 01:30 PM

298 posts, read 751,077 times
You will need to contact each of the individual suburban school districts individually with your questions on school attendance boundaries.

The seperate school districts in the suburbs are, for the most part, smaller, less political, and a lower amount of bureaucracy than In Minneapolis School District #1.

Another thing to be aware of in Minnesota is that school district boundaries are totally separate from the city boundaries.

Example of this include:

The city of Edina has three seperate school districts within the southwest suburban cities boundaries. Parts of Edina are in the Edina School District and attend Edina High wheras parts of Edina are within the Hopkins School District #270, and the section of Edina where Southdale Mall is are in the Richfield School District #280, and attend Richfield Middle and High Schools.

Parts of Minnetonka are in the Wayzata School District #284, in fact Wayzata East Middle School is in the suburb of Minnetonka. Other parts of Minnetonka are in the Hopkins School District #270; Hopkins High School is in the city of Minnetonka, not the city of Hopkins. The western parts of Minnetonka are in the Minnetonka School District.

There are four seperate school districts within the boundries of the suburban city of Plymouth. They include: Osseo Area School District #279, Robbinsdale Area School District #281, Hopkins School District #270, and Wayzata School District #284. Wayzata High School is in Plymouth, not the city of Wayzata

Old 04-12-2020, 01:34 PM

298 posts, read 751,077 times
You will need to contact each of the seperate suburban school districts, individually, with your questions on school attendance boundaries.

The seperate school districts in the suburbs are, for the most part, smaller, less political, and a lower amount of bureaucracy than In Minneapolis School District #1.

Another thing to be aware of in Minnesota is that school district boundaries are totally separate from the city boundaries.

Example of this include:

The city of Edina has three seperate school districts within the southwest suburban cities boundaries. Parts of Edina are in the Edina School District and attend Edina High wheras parts of Edina are within the Hopkins School District #270, and the section of Edina where Southdale Mall is are in the Richfield School District #280, and attend Richfield Middle and High Schools.

Parts of Minnetonka are in the Wayzata School District #284, in fact Wayzata East Middle School is in the suburb of Minnetonka. Other parts of Minnetonka are in the Hopkins School District #270; Hopkins High School is in the city of Minnetonka, not the city of Hopkins. The western parts of Minnetonka are in the Minnetonka School District.

There are four seperate school districts within the boundries of the suburban city of Plymouth. They include: Osseo Area School District #279, Robbinsdale Area School District #281, Hopkins School District #270, and Wayzata School District #284. Wayzata High School is in Plymouth, not the city of Wayzata
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul