Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2020, 06:37 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,708,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by biloxisweetpea View Post
I'm not an expert in open enrollment by any means, but it's my understanding that you can enroll your child in any school district (provided there is space). But you have to provide transportation to school (or pay for transportation when they are older).
Not every district accepts open enrollments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2020, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnhannah View Post
Thank you for your information.
My general question is about attendance zone. And question in post #7 is a hypothetical example in the attendance zone. Basically, attendance zone does not apply in Minneapolis Public Schools.

The information has changed my mind about ways to look for rental house/apartment and schools.
There are attendance zones in Minneapolis but they are changing.

Old 04-17-2020, 07:17 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,187,543 times
If your kids will be attending a Minneapolis school district it seems really confusing exactly what school they would attend. If you live in any other district in the suburbs you attend the school that your neighborhood is assigned to, basically. There are some districts this have "Magnet" or specialty school like art, science and math ... but they really are not that different, IMO. You can open enroll to other schools within your district or a Totally different School District, if they are open for open enrollment/have room for students other than 8n area students.... but you would be responsible for transportation for open enrollment.

Old 04-24-2020, 06:15 PM

12 posts, read 8,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post
If your kids will be attending a Minneapolis school district it seems really confusing exactly what school they would attend. If you live in any other district in the suburbs you attend the school that your neighborhood is assigned to, basically. There are some districts this have "Magnet" or specialty school like art, science and math ... but they really are not that different, IMO. You can open enroll to other schools within your district or a Totally different School District, if they are open for open enrollment/have room for students other than 8n area students.... but you would be responsible for transportation for open enrollment.
Thank you for your information. I am still searching for an apartment in the attendance zone of Minneapolis PSD and expanding the search to include Edina PSD.
I found this on crailgist. $880 / 3br - 5617 Thomas Ave S, Beautiful 3 Beds 2.5 Baths Rent To Own Home.
https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/h...76543515.html#

I contacted for school and other information. They sent me the website. Your Comprehensive Resource for the Everyday Home Renter | The Ultimate Rent-to-Own Home Program

I just wonder the information on Craigslist is legit?

Old 04-25-2020, 08:56 AM

I, I would no necessarily trust what it says on Craigslist, especially when it concerns Minneapolis school district since it sounds like everything is still not set in stone yet. I would get address and call the District directly to confirm what school your kids would be assigned to. Even the suburbs.

There are some strange boundary lines for school, sometimes a certain area of a neighborhood is carved out to attend a school 8n a slightly different school than the surrounding homes, sometimes done to alleviate overcrowding in one school to a less crowded school, same district but different elementary school than surrounding schools. Determined by school board.

Also, the boundaries for different school districts have nothing to do with city boundaries.
As an example where I grew up, a mid sized first ring suburb, had three different School Districts, the bus I took to my elementary school drove by an elementary school to another district, it was actually closer to the home, but boundary lines were on the street I lived on and one street over were two different Districts. So, call the district to confirm....50 years later the district boundaries are still the same, but there is now open enrollment. I've seen kids now cross the street I grew up on to catch bus to "my Districts" schools.

The second website you have on your post you said the school sent you. I don't see how that would help you determine what school your kids would go to. Do they have a website you can enter the address to determine what school or a comprehensive map? I would call the district again.

Last edited by Izzie1213; 04-25-2020 at 09:09 AM..

Old 04-25-2020, 09:10 AM

I found this. It says you can enter an address .
You also need to enter zip code and grade of child.

https://schoolrequest.mpls.k12.mn.us/

I don't know if it will help.... maybe it's been posted on other reply, I didn't check.

This is what comes up with address on Craigslist and zip code 55410 and 8th grade
https://schoolrequest.mpls.k12.mn.us/schools?g=8

Last edited by Izzie1213; 04-25-2020 at 09:43 AM..

Old 04-25-2020, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post
I found this. It says you can enter an address .
http://mpls.k12.mn.us/maps

And this

https://schoolrequest.mpls.k12.mn.us/

I don't know if it will help.... maybe it's been posted on other reply, I didn't check.
Just be aware that the school attendance boundaries for Minneapolis are being redesigned under the proposed Comprehensive District Design program. https://www.cdd.mpls.k12.mn.us/

School attendance boundaries can change in any school district— Minneapolis, St Paul, or suburban— at any time.

There was an uproar a few years back in Eden Prairies when elementary school boundaries were changed to allow for more racial and economic diversity in some of their schools. https://www.minnpost.com/learning-cu...antage-points/

More recently, there was some discord when the board of the Burnsville-Eagan-Savage school district voted to close three schools in response to declining enrollment. https://www.kare11.com/mobile/articl...5-d42b541f2ea1

While the size of the district and the nature of the redesign makes the changes in Minneapolis schools stand out, we wouldn’t want to ignore the fact that no school attendance boundaries are permanent. The exception being high school in districts with a commitment to a single high school, e.g. Wayzata, Minnetonka, and Edina.

The advice to call the district to find out what school area a certain property is located in is wise and the OP should take it.

Old 04-25-2020, 09:34 AM

701 posts, read 1,708,497 times
That house on Thomas sold a month ago

Old 04-26-2020, 12:57 PM

298 posts, read 750,770 times
It's best to contact the school district directly, either by phone or through the district website. Give the school official the full address of that you're interested in along with the grade level of your children. Right away they should be able to give you the: Elementary, Middle and High school the children will attend for this upcoming school year.

If the address you're looking into is actually in the neighboring school district, they'll be able to tell you that as well.

Over the years, I've had many well meaning real estate agents and rental leasing agents Give me the wrong information on school attendance boundaries, so as earlier posters have also stated, please contact the school district directly.

Old 05-13-2020, 08:07 PM

83 posts, read 130,364 times
Live somewhere where the "default" public school is at least decent. Open enrollment is hit or miss. A coworker of mine from Columbia Heights went through the open enrollment process a few years back and it was beyond stressful for him waiting for the lottery results to come in. He was underwater on his house so he couldn't just move over to somewhere close with much better schools like New Brighton or Mounds View, and because of his commute (and his wife's) there were only a limited number of schools that made sense for them because of transportation. Fortunately, his daughter got into one of the 3 or 4 school he applied for.

I would personally not live in the city of Minneapolis or Saint Paul with kids unless I had the ability to pay for private school on a moment's notice. Far too much political BS that just ends up screwing over students because someone wants to be a PC hero.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul