Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do You Agree with lowering city speed limits?
Yes 11 47.83%
No 11 47.83%
Don't Care 1 4.35%
Undecided 0 0%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2020, 11:20 PM

695 posts, read 715,238 times

Advertisements

Well there goes the Cities! I will no longer be able to navigate around town in a timely manner. And it's all because people can't LOOK BOTH WAYS BEFORE CROSSING THE STREET!

https://www.visionzerompls.com/speedlimit-s?

Last edited by Doctor Z; 03-06-2020 at 11:22 PM.. Reason: correct spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2020, 06:08 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,074,074 times
What we need is larger and more sturdy pedestrians

Old 03-07-2020, 07:35 AM

152 posts, read 290,999 times
Cities around the world have 25mph limits and people do just fine. Drivers will adapt.

I do think 20mph is too slow. I feel like I'd need to ride my brake constantly to not go that fast. I visited Deadwood SD last year. In that town I recall the speed limit was something like 20 or 25mph and that felt agonizingly slow.

Old 03-07-2020, 10:47 AM

2,579 posts, read 2,072,550 times
Or, I dunno, simply enforce current limits, traffic laws, etc.

This whole honor system on traffic laws that Minneapolis, St. Paul and the surrounding 'burbs have adopted clearly is a failure. I drive across the east metro from Woodbury into Minneapolis and back daily, using a variety of routes. I see a ton of bad (dangerous) driving and a ton of moving violations. I rarely ever see cops out there, with the exception of troopers on 94 east of St. Paul, and that is rare.

Seriously, most people will not do the right thing any more unless by stick or carrot. We've passed that point as a society, sadly.

Old 03-07-2020, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectre000 View Post
Cities around the world have 25mph limits and people do just fine. Drivers will adapt.
This is America, and we mostly invented the modern paved road. We've PROGRESSED beyond the Horse-and-Buggy era where 20 MPH was max in town. I need to get around town in a timely manner. The longer that takes the less time I have to do what I WANT to be doing instead of the things I HAVE TO be doing.

The whole purpose of a paved roadway is to MOVE traffic along. As a long time proponent of abolishing Speed Limits we should strictly enforce distracted driving laws instead. Speed does NOT kill, inattentive driving/walking/riding/drunkeness does.

I don't feel I should have to suffer because others are not willing to stay focused when behind the wheel or walking/riding/standing near the roadway goofing off!

Those that feel 20 MPH is too slow, should go down and MARCH on City Hall. They should call for the removal of their elected officials; but they won't. Like sheep the city residents will just roll over and take it which is why I moved out of the Cities a long time ago--but the "City" is creeping out here into the country and starting to infringe on my Personal Freedoms and I don't like it!

Furthermore, I still have to work at my DRIVING job in the Cities. The longer it takes me to get to my destinations the LESS time I have for my BREAKS. This will increase my fatigue which will make me a more dangerous person behind the wheel as I will be falling asleep all the time. My employer surely isn't going to allot me more time for BREAKS to compensate for the lower speed limits.

Old 03-07-2020, 01:53 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,715,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Z View Post
This is America, and we mostly invented the modern paved road. We've PROGRESSED beyond the Horse-and-Buggy era where 20 MPH was max in town. I need to get around town in a timely manner. The longer that takes the less time I have to do what I WANT to be doing instead of the things I HAVE TO be doing.

The whole purpose of a paved roadway is to MOVE traffic along. As a long time proponent of abolishing Speed Limits we should strictly enforce distracted driving laws instead. Speed does NOT kill, inattentive driving/walking/riding/drunkeness does.

I don't feel I should have to suffer because others are not willing to stay focused when behind the wheel or walking/riding/standing near the roadway goofing off!

Those that feel 20 MPH is too slow, should go down and MARCH on City Hall. They should call for the removal of their elected officials; but they won't. Like sheep the city residents will just roll over and take it which is why I moved out of the Cities a long time ago--but the "City" is creeping out here into the country and starting to infringe on my Personal Freedoms and I don't like it!

Furthermore, I still have to work at my DRIVING job in the Cities. The longer it takes me to get to my destinations the LESS time I have for my BREAKS. This will increase my fatigue which will make me a more dangerous person behind the wheel as I will be falling asleep all the time. My employer surely isn't going to allot me more time for BREAKS to compensate for the lower speed limits.
I disagree. The purpose of a paved road is to give people a place to put their car while they sit in gridlocked traffic checking their email.

Old 03-07-2020, 03:11 PM

6,564 posts, read 7,145,772 times
Nothing is gonna change in reality. Neighborhood streets will go to 25, but cities won't spend any money to put signs on them, because zero of them currently have signs. As pointed out in another thread recently, Mpls city council doesn't want free federal money for more cops, so cops won't enforce this 20 or 25 mph changes.

Old 03-07-2020, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
Nothing is gonna change in reality. Neighborhood streets will go to 25,
I heard they are lowering to 20 MPH, and that live video and speed detectors are going to beam real time speeding to the nearest cop who will write you a ticket without actually clocking you speeding.

Infractions will be written starting at 21 MPH!

Minneapolis is preparing for automated enforcement technology — even though state law doesn’t allow it (yet).
Vision Zero sets the groundwork for installing technology on streets and sidewalks that aim to catch illegal behavior by drivers, while freeing up officers for other things. The technology could be cameras at signalized intersections to catch red-light runners or speed trackers on neighborhood streets to ensure motorists obey the limits, but the plan does not include details.
https://www.minnpost.com/metro/2019/...street-safety/

It's time to wake up and smell the coffee!

Old 03-07-2020, 06:01 PM

6,564 posts, read 7,145,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Z View Post
I heard they are lowering to 20 MPH, and that live video and speed detectors are going to beam real time speeding to the nearest cop who will write you a ticket without actually clocking you speeding.

Infractions will be written starting at 21 MPH!

Minneapolis is preparing for automated enforcement technology — even though state law doesn’t allow it (yet).
Vision Zero sets the groundwork for installing technology on streets and sidewalks that aim to catch illegal behavior by drivers, while freeing up officers for other things. The technology could be cameras at signalized intersections to catch red-light runners or speed trackers on neighborhood streets to ensure motorists obey the limits, but the plan does not include details.
https://www.minnpost.com/metro/2019/...street-safety/

It's time to wake up and smell the coffee!
Yeah, that’s not gonna happen. The cameras didn’t last long on Washington and Broadway many years ago. If Mpls thinks their above the state, that’s funny. Broadway in NE was changed to two lanes with center turn lane last fall. It works better now. The article mentions certain areas where accidents happen all the time, something does need to change there to cut back on them. Figuring that out is the hard part.

Old 03-19-2020, 06:27 AM

23,222 posts, read 29,061,361 times
Speed limit, 25MPH, and most will drive 30-35MPH
Speed limit 20MPH, and they'll drive 25 ort 30MPH.
Highways speed limit of 65, and they drive close to 75MPH.

In Las Vegas, they have 45MPH speed limits on all their major avenues, and nobody observes it, they do 50-55-60MPH, yes, on city streets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul