Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2019, 02:56 AM

2,950 posts, read 5,200,438 times

Advertisements

Long rant...

I was born in St. Paul in 1960 and left after kindergarten, but try to keep up with Minnesota news.

As a hockey fan, I cannot believe the Minnesota Wild is an acceptable nickname for such an important hockey market for the NHL.

Yes, unlike most who know nothing about and couldn't care less about anything Minnesota, I realize it refers to your "wild" outdoors environment up north. But few others would know, and to me, it sounds like a minor-league team or even a roller derby team?

The logo incorporates a wolf's head with trees and lakes in the background? Very outdoorsy, but boring and of no sexiness or intrigue to hockey or sports fans.

They've existed almost 20 years now, but have always been irrelevant nationally.... sort of like the Florida Panthers of the north?

I understand that some or many Minnesotans never liked the name from the start. Nowadays, most like the name or have accepted it and the logo and the colors?

And is there still some talk by some fans to somehow re-establish the beloved North Stars nickname, logo and colors.... a rebranding? Weren't the LA Clippers just last month talking about a new nickname and rebranding despite recent popularity and success?

What's so relevant and memorable about the Wild nickname, the logo and the colors? What a boring franchise from its inception; and most Americans consider Minnesota and Minneapolis a boring state with boring people (sorry, but I think that's the public perception?!). At least to those who've never visited.

So...I try to promote the state and the Twin Cities to people I chat with driving with Uber when they ask where I'm from. Many people I chat with who've visited Minneapolis do, in fact, have a good impression!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2019, 07:20 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,086,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
Long rant...

I was born in St. Paul in 1960 and left after kindergarten, but try to keep up with Minnesota news.

As a hockey fan, I cannot believe the Minnesota Wild is an acceptable nickname for such an important hockey market for the NHL.

Yes, unlike most who know nothing about and couldn't care less about anything Minnesota, I realize it refers to your "wild" outdoors environment up north. But few others would know, and to me, it sounds like a minor-league team or even a roller derby team?

The logo incorporates a wolf's head with trees and lakes in the background? Very outdoorsy, but boring and of no sexiness or intrigue to hockey or sports fans.

They've existed almost 20 years now, but have always been irrelevant nationally.... sort of like the Florida Panthers of the north?

I understand that some or many Minnesotans never liked the name from the start. Nowadays, most like the name or have accepted it and the logo and the colors?

And is there still some talk by some fans to somehow re-establish the beloved North Stars nickname, logo and colors.... a rebranding? Weren't the LA Clippers just last month talking about a new nickname and rebranding despite recent popularity and success?

What's so relevant and memorable about the Wild nickname, the logo and the colors? What a boring franchise from its inception; and most Americans consider Minnesota and Minneapolis a boring state with boring people (sorry, but I think that's the public perception?!). At least to those who've never visited.

So...I try to promote the state and the Twin Cities to people I chat with driving with Uber when they ask where I'm from. Many people I chat with who've visited Minneapolis do, in fact, have a good impression!
^boring post

Old 08-12-2019, 07:42 AM

2,538 posts, read 3,106,105 times
//face smack to Ghengis//
It’s a *great* post.
This Michigander thinks “the Wild” is pretty horrid also, and would like to see a return to the Minnesota North Stars.
Worse than this particular team name, though, is the existence of any NHL team in states where pond ice does not naturally occur. Southern and Southwestern states have NO BUSINESS with NHL franchises! OH, this grinds the hell out of me, this ridiculously big pool of players with watered-down talent.
Bring Back The Days Of The Original Six !!

Old 08-12-2019, 07:49 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,471,347 times
Fitting name to me. Does it matter if it's not going to make the team more successful? Minnesota is "middle of the road" in practically everything. Nobody is allowed to stand out or be better than anyone else (not in any significant way), which explains why their teams are virtually unknown. It's a provincial name for a provincial people. I don't see the problem.

Old 08-12-2019, 07:51 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,719,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
^boring post
Out of staters don’t like our hockey team name. Yawn.

Old 08-12-2019, 10:48 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,698,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
Long rant...

What's with the excessive question marks? Do you only speak in questions?

I, too, prefer the North Stars as a name for MN's hockey team, but I'm guessing it's too close to the Stars (Dallas). I guess a petition could be made to have them change to the Lonestars and then MN takes the North Stars.

Old 08-12-2019, 10:53 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,454,592 times
I agree with the OP completely. Not only are the name and the uniforms (it looks like someone threw a pizza and hit the front of the jersey) awful, but the ownership is absolutely clueless as evidenced by Leipold's firing of his buddy Fenton, who was supposed to lead them to Stanley Cup glory, after only one year on the job. The roster is chock full of overpaid underachievers and puny runts who get blown up by bigger, more physical teams. It's a total dumpster fire and there is no hope for the immediate future because they are bogged down by these ridiculous contracts for Parise, Suter, Dubnyk and now Zuccarello and Staal.

20 years of ugly uniforms, a dumb name and total incompetence. They've never even had a true star player they could market the team around (no, Gaborik was not a star even though they tried to push that off on the fans). I love what the Clippers are doing with their name and uniform rebrand and believe there is a strong movement to do the same with the Wild. Scrap it all and start over. They should rename the team, have a totally new uniform and even though they can't be the North Stars again they can still bring back the North Stars colors. That alone won't win them any Cups but at least it's something. There certainly isn't any other reason to get excited about that franchise right now.

Old 08-12-2019, 12:31 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,931,297 times
Those uniforms are ghastly, though, rivaling the worst in professional sports. The old North Star shirt design was fantastic, though..

Old 08-12-2019, 12:53 PM

1,962 posts, read 1,821,832 times
I've never been to Minnesota and I'm not a Wild fan but I am a huge hockey fan. I actually really like the name and the logo. I think its one of the better logos in the league. Come to think of it I've always pulled for the Wild when they were in the playoffs. To bad they haven't had a nice run.

Old 08-12-2019, 01:13 PM

3,816 posts, read 6,454,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
I've never been to Minnesota and I'm not a Wild fan but I am a huge hockey fan. I actually really like the name and the logo. I think its one of the better logos in the league. Come to think of it I've always pulled for the Wild when they were in the playoffs. To bad they haven't had a nice run.
Signed,

Craig Leipold

Kidding
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul