Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 06:30 AM

6,390 posts, read 5,028,091 times

Advertisements

It seems like such a "perfect" city - good economy, reasonably fast population growth, educated populace, progressive, diverse, decent public transportation, not too crowded, no serious "hood" areas - and I'm suspicious.

Old 07-31-2018, 06:55 AM

413 posts, read 324,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
It seems like such a "perfect" city - good economy, reasonably fast population growth, educated populace, progressive, diverse, decent public transportation, not too crowded, no serious "hood" areas - and I'm suspicious.

This feels like another trolling exercise. If you're "suspicious" then come up and see for yourself.

Old 07-31-2018, 07:03 AM

871 posts, read 1,090,101 times
I'd say lack of diversity relative to most cities its size or larger; very significant segregation both physically and educationally/socio-economically along racial lines; and the fact that it isn't a 'mega-city' with the broader access to cultural and some kinds of professional resources mega-cities have.

Old 07-31-2018, 07:08 AM

490 posts, read 625,169 times
Other than weather I really can't find much to complain about that you wouldn't find in similar sized metros. I mean I could nitpick but that's a pointless exercise IMO. Some Super Bowl/World Series trophies would be nice I guess. Taxes could be lower but then some of the things that make it nice might suffer. We do have bad neighborhoods but what cities don't?

Old 07-31-2018, 08:06 AM

3,304 posts, read 3,036,261 times
I would say the push towards higher population density.
As Mpls. touts density, push back comes from its residents - StarTribune.com

Last I heard, people in the neighborhood I used to live in near Bde Maka Ska (the lake formerly known as Calhoun) were up in arms about the recently proposed city plan promoting fourplexes on what used to be fairly small single family homes, and 30 story apartment buildings around the lake itself.

Old 07-31-2018, 08:23 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,713,719 times
I will highlight my negatives because you asked me to. Note that I do love the Twin Cities and I have a much larger list of things I like about the city

1) weather- I know you said "besides the weather," but it's a big one. Opposed to places like Denver for instance, our snowfall stays all winter due to the incredibly low temperatures. We're also hotter in the summer than some expect. A certain percentage of people actually enjoy the winters (more than summers), however many slug their way through winter begrudgingly, mainly due to the "pros" you mentioned above.
1a) poor condition of the roads, brought on by harsh winters and heaving salting

2) MN nice personalities - this has been beaten to death here, but for good reason. Very difficult for transplants to assimilate and adjust to. In comparison to much of the rest of the country, we are insular and just not very inviting. Generally speaking most of my neighbors don't wave, I've never been into a neighbors house despite having many over to mine in attempts to build a relationship. You CAN make deep relationships, but if you thrive on one off conversations at the park/mailbox/grocery store, exchanges that go beyond talking about the weather or the Vikings, or spontaneous hangouts with the new people you just met, it's not the city for you

3)Lack of driving proximity to different terrain - with a few small exceptions like the MN river valley or the north shore, one must drive a long ways to feel like you're in a different environment (6.5 hrs to Chicago, 9 hrs to the black hills for instance). Having lived on the east coast, one can take a weekend roadtrip and be in an entirely different culture

4)Mosquitos - not exclusive to MN at all, but a con nonetheless

5)Higher taxes - I am not a proponent of bigger gov't, however I do think we are one of the few states where you can see the fruits of those higher taxes at work to a greater degree.

Old 07-31-2018, 08:34 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,473,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedosius View Post
I'd say lack of diversity relative to most cities its size or larger; very significant segregation both physically and educationally/socio-economically along racial lines; and the fact that it isn't a 'mega-city' with the broader access to cultural and some kinds of professional resources mega-cities have.

I felt there were more things to do in my college town than the Twin Cities. Also, the residents are not genuinely kind. They care more about "appearing" to be good people than actually being good people. Their real character comes out when they're behind the wheel, which is, scary, dangerous, and an example how they only know how to "model" appropriate behavior - not fundamentally know what appropriate behavior is. Your vehicle is one of the last places you should be releasing all your frustrations, but this is where Minnesotans really like to engage in reckless and aggressive behavior. They are a peculiar people...and not in a good way.

Old 07-31-2018, 09:08 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,722,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post

I felt there were more things to do in my college town than the Twin Cities. Also, the residents are not genuinely kind. They care more about "appearing" to be good people than actually being good people. Their real character comes out when they're behind the wheel, which is, scary, dangerous, and an example how they only know how to "model" appropriate behavior - not fundamentally know what appropriate behavior is. Your vehicle is one of the last places you should be releasing all your frustrations, but this is where Minnesotans really like to engage in reckless and aggressive behavior. They are a peculiar people...and not in a good way.
Baloney. Minnesota ranks #39 of 50 in terms of aggressive driving behavior.
https://www.gasbuddy.com/NewsRoom/PressRelease/599

Old 07-31-2018, 09:21 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,473,250 times
Minnesotans also aggressively defend against the slightest criticisms of their state. Basically, be willing to mold yourself into a non-person so the locals can be comfortable around you. Because if they're not comfortable...they will ensure you aren't either.

Old 07-31-2018, 09:27 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,722,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
Minnesotans also aggressively defend against the slightest criticisms of their state. Basically, be willing to mold yourself into a non-person so the locals can be comfortable around you. Because if they're not comfortable...they will ensure you aren't either.
LOL. I’m sorry I shot down your fact free criticism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul