Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 01:51 PM

4,314 posts, read 4,005,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
Those figures is from deaths from all sources. The number shot increased pretty significantly, but was offset by a decline in the number of deaths from auto crashes and job related illnesses. Causes of Law Enforcement Deaths

Not knowing any details about the circumstances of this particular incident, it seems pointless to start a side discussion around this topic.
......(2nd sentence )........"number shot increased pretty significantly "..

posters can try to spin that any way they want
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2017, 01:52 PM

70 posts, read 101,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
When an unarmed woman that called the police after being concerned about a possible crime in her neighborhood, gets shot by the officer, who also failed to turn on his body camera, there is a problem with that officer continuing to serve and protect IMO.

We still need more details from the BCA, but I will be surprised if an arrest is not made. Of course, he is entitled to a fair trial and can be acquitted for merely saying he was fearful. The average citizen does not have that lower standard.

Btw, Minneapolis had far more murders 20 years ago. The Fulton neighborhood is a safe one.

Would your post be the same if that woman was a friend and not a stranger? Don't you think officers should be accountable to the citizens they serve?

This could also put a chilling effect on people that may decide not to call the police when they should.

What I think is that there is a huge, organized movement by those on the far left to demonize and ultimately dispense with local police forces and replace them with a national police force that can be better controlled by those on the far left.

Old 07-17-2017, 02:09 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,102,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minndavid60 View Post
What I think is that there is a huge, organized movement by those on the far left to demonize and ultimately dispense with local police forces and replace them with a national police force that can be better controlled by those on the far left.
yes, and to corner the market on tinfoil too

Old 07-17-2017, 02:09 PM

871 posts, read 1,090,226 times
Quote:
Those figures is from deaths from all sources. The number shot increased pretty significantly, but was offset by a decline in the number of deaths from auto crashes and job related illnesses. Causes of Law Enforcement Deaths

Not knowing any details about the circumstances of this particular incident, it seems pointless to start a side discussion around this topic.
You are correct that this is deaths from all sources, but whether or not the number of shootings is increasing is not clear from the data since there is a pretty big swing year-to-year. Shootings spiked in 2007 and 2011, dropped to an extraordinary low in 2013, up in 2014, down in 2015, up in 2016...

2007 70
2008 41
2009 50
2010 60
2011 73
2012 50
2013 34
2014 50
2015 43
2016 66

5-year average 2007-2011: 54.8
5-year average 2012-2016: 48.6

The point is that overall police are not in greater danger than in past years. I agree that we don't know the circumstances of this incident, meaning we can only meaningfully talk about the environment in which this shooting took place. This environment is not one of exceptional danger to police.

Old 07-17-2017, 02:18 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,722,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedosius View Post
You are correct that this is deaths from all sources, but whether or not the number of shootings is increasing is not clear from the data since there is a pretty big swing year-to-year. Shootings spiked in 2007 and 2011, dropped to an extraordinary low in 2013, up in 2014, down in 2015, up in 2016...

2007 70
2008 41
2009 50
2010 60
2011 73
2012 50
2013 34
2014 50
2015 43
2016 66

5-year average 2007-2011: 54.8
5-year average 2012-2016: 48.6

The point is that overall police are not in greater danger than in past years. I agree that we don't know the circumstances of this incident, meaning we can only meaningfully talk about the environment in which this shooting took place. This environment is not one of exceptional danger to police.
Deaths by shootings increased from 43 in 2015 to 66 in 2016, a 53.5% increase. That is a pretty significant increase. But exactly what is your point? It must be pretty important to hijack a thread about an innocent woman's death.

Old 07-17-2017, 02:19 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,206,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minndavid60 View Post
Lol. Are you serious with this comment? Sounds like a conspiracy theory from Alex Jones. Thought you may be kidding, but I don't see a laugh icon , so I don't know for sure. If you are serious, we agree to disagree.

The majority of people want the very small percentage of worst offending officers to be disciplined and removed if they can't do the job. The very worst that shoot innocent people may be arrested. Also improved training, screening and body cameras that are actually used. Think officers that have been on the force 10 years or more without misconduct or an incident like this deserve an additional raise in pay and if practical, additional vacation time off, too . Those are officers we want to keep!

These reforms not only help the public, but enable the good, dedicated officers not to be brought down or tainted by the bad apples. Just basic common sense reforms and improvements that will help both the public and the police. Who could be against that?

What we want to avoid is a situation where people are afraid to contact the police.

Last edited by chessgeek; 07-17-2017 at 02:40 PM..

Old 07-17-2017, 02:31 PM

871 posts, read 1,090,226 times
Quote:
Deaths by shootings increased from 43 in 2015 to 66 in 2016, a 53.5% increase. That is a pretty significant increase. But exactly what is your point? It must be pretty important to hijack a thread about an innocent woman's death.
Basic statistics shows that you use moving averages to get an understanding of the overall picture. This link to a Statistics How To will provide you with the very basics of statistics to enable you to understand the data. Moving Average: What it is and How to Calculate it. I will not be spending more time on remedial education on this matter.

You will notice that I use the exact same methodology used in this example, just on a different data set- one is sales, one is police shootings. In both cases, there is a downward trend line.

As I have explained once already, we have no information about this woman's death. We can only talk about the environment this incident happened in.

Old 07-17-2017, 02:42 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,722,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedosius View Post
Basic statistics shows that you use moving averages to get an understanding of the overall picture. This link to a Statistics How To will provide you with the very basics of statistics to enable you to understand the data. Moving Average: What it is and How to Calculate it. I will not be spending more time on remedial education on this matter.

You will notice that I use the exact same methodology used in this example, just on a different data set- one is sales, one is police shootings. In both cases, there is a downward trend line.

As I have explained once already, we have no information about this woman's death. We can only talk about the environment this incident happened in.
I am very aware of how to use statistics to tell the story you want to tell as, apparently, are you. So we both know that a moving average can be useful in reducing the effect of outlying data, or in hiding changes in a trend. And we also all know why you find this elementary technique so useful to your narrative.

Last edited by Glenfield; 07-17-2017 at 02:59 PM..

Old 07-17-2017, 02:44 PM

173 posts, read 170,922 times
https://heavy.com/news/2017/07/moham...mali-mohammed/
Mohammed Noor is his name and he is from Somalia.

Old 07-17-2017, 02:57 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,102,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinervaPallasAthena View Post
https://heavy.com/news/2017/07/moham...mali-mohammed/
Mohammed Noor is his name and he is from Somalia.

says who?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul