Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 04:35 PM

490 posts, read 625,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodburyWoody View Post
Even his recent look? Though it would be warm for January.
Admittedly not his finest moment but still better than me on a good day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2016, 05:50 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,755,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester Burnett View Post
Hello City-Data north! I'm excited to be moving to MN in just a few short weeks from sunny Sarasota, FL. Big change right? I first joined CD when we moved to FL from Asheville, NC and the forum was a pretty valuable source of information. While living down here I enjoyed staying involved in the forum community and actually chose a member from the community to be the realtor we are using to sell our current home. The inspector who showed up for our potential buyer turned out to also be a regular CD poster here. We are everywhere!

My wife has already started her job running a small natural products company in Edina while I'm wrapping up our affairs here in FL. We took a six month lease on an apartment in Linden Hills that will be the command post for the house hunt. My wife grew up there, has many friends and some family and knows the area pretty well. I'm a musician, in my fifties and my only experience with the twin cities was passing through on tour years ago. I'm sure I will adapt quickly. I relocated multiple times and I know the drill.

The main thing I know I'm going to need is socks. Lot's of socks. The few socks I own are tiny, thin little things. And a coat and probably some gloves. I'm originally from NYC and have lived in Chicago so I've experienced plenty of winter but I think my 5 years in FL has made me soft. I haven't set eyes on a snowflake in a long time. I know I need to layer. Any recommendations for clothing stores or brands? Cost is no object! I'm prepared to outfit my weak self by any means necessary. I've looked at REI and they seem to have a pretty extensive selection. I'm wondering if there are other options I haven't considered before I put them in the black for the month.
Socks. Buy wool socks. Not the old fashioned scratchy kind, get the new smartwool or merino wool kind. You'll never go back to regular cotton socks again. Check Menards, they have great prices on them, about half what you'd pay at most places. Also REI Bloomington has an area upstairs where they sell things that have been returned. They often have brand new socks that have been taken out of the package and they can't sell them without the packaging so they end up upstairs at dirt cheap prices.

Gloves. I like a light synthetic running glove. For my day-to-day activities that's all I need. I also have heavier, warmer gloves for extended outdoor times.

I recommend Marshall's or TJ Maxx. This is where I usually stop first. I like a synthetic base layer top & bottom (get smartwool if you've got the dough, but avoid the old fashioned waffle pattern long johns. They get wet & soggy, it's horrible.), a fleece or sweatshirt over it and a soft shell jacket on top that breaks the wind (I don't need and can't stand a big, puffy or heavy winter coat. 99% of my outside activity is from the house to the car, the car to the store, pump some gas, that kind of stuff. I don't want to be bundled up & overheating in the car with a big coat). That works for me 99 days out of 100.

I also recommend a lightweight, waterproof boot. Unless I'm outside snowblowing or taking my kids sledding my feet never really get cold. It's them getting wet that is a pain. Get out of the car and walk through the parking lot to the supermarket and you will be walking through snow and slush. Often times you get snow on your boots or shoes, then get back in the car and the heater melts it and now you've got wet feet. Once your feet are wet, they'll be wet all day. I like lightweight duck boots, but that's a personal choice.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-14-2016, 06:54 PM

219 posts, read 313,900 times
If you intend on spending a lot of time outdoors all year round and if cost really is no object, just buy Arc'teryx everything. It's bombproof, constructed better than anything else and will last for many years. Get a Gore Tex pro shell like an Alpha AR or Beta AR. You'll wear that all year when it's raining/snowing/etc. and layer underneath. Get some gore tex paclite or pro pants like the Alpha SL or Beta SL and do the same thing, layering underneath as the weather demands.

Get an Atom LT or Atom AR hoody, Atom LT vest, and some base layers. This is a very versatile setup and you swap out what you need based on the wind, rain and temperatures but you will always be bone dry and comfortable. I prefer the synthetics like core loft because they retain their ability to keep your warm even when wet, and are generally lighter and less bulky than down.

For winter shoes, you'll want some sort of heavy duty insulated boot like a Sorel for things like shoveling snow but otherwise your best bet is again a Gore Tex hiker or trail runner with room for decently thick socks (smart wool or whatever) but that can again be worn all year. Lots of brands out there that build great goretex shoes. I am partial to La Sportiva for the build quality and fit but they aren't very good for wider feet, where Salomon or others are a better choice.

Get a pair of traction devices for your shoes/boots. Yaktrax are probably the most popular but I used to burn through them like toilet paper. Much better option is ICEtrekkers Diamond Grip. Better grip and much more durable.

Not sure if you run but the same things are true with gear if you intend on running through winter, which is mostly doable apart from a few days here and there where it's just too cold. But you'll need winter weight and spring/fall weight running gear including gloves and everything.

the most expensive purchases you make (goretex shell and pants) are actually the most versatile things you will own and completely useful even if you end up back in Sarasota.

If you are not planning to spend much/any time outdoors in colder weather (like <50F), ignore all of that as it will be a huge waste of money. Buy an Atom AR, hat, boots, some gloves and call it good.

Old 01-14-2016, 07:28 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,099,283 times
traction devices?

Old 01-14-2016, 07:37 PM

Yeah like yaktrax. you strap them to the bottom of your shoes. Great for traction while walking, running, hiking etc. on packed snow and ice. Used to do a lot of winter hikes and runs on trails that wouldn't be possible or safe without the yaktrax thingies.

Old 01-14-2016, 08:29 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,099,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
Yeah like yaktrax. you strap them to the bottom of your shoes. Great for traction while walking, running, hiking etc. on packed snow and ice. Used to do a lot of winter hikes and runs on trails that wouldn't be possible or safe without the yaktrax thingies.
seems like they would make it hard to develop the awkward, one-legged, backwards-leaning, arm-waving, near skull-splitting slipping save that the rest of us have perfected.

Old 01-14-2016, 08:37 PM

I'll admit if you start using those you will miss out on those lucid moments of suspended animation as your life flashes before your eyes. Those moments are probably underrated really.

Old 01-15-2016, 04:42 AM

Thanks team. Lot's of helpful info here. Tipsy, that Arc'teryx stuff looks pricey but warm. Definitely in the running.

Mason3000 you have your finger on the pulse of the sock situation up there, thanks.

Good boot advice as well. I can't stand wearing heavy boots all day, so weight is going to be a big factor in my choice there. I like the two pair concept.

Old 01-15-2016, 12:09 PM

10 posts, read 10,333 times
As someone else mentioned this is shaping up to be a mild winter. You probably won't need anything.

Many, I dare say most, people get by just wearing regular clothes all winter. I wore canvas sneakers with smart wool socks until about a week ago.

You will be able to score some mega deals at late winter sales for next year because local retailers all bought too much stuff.

Old 01-17-2016, 05:04 AM

Mild winter or no, you're talking to a guy who hasn't been in temps below 30 degrees in over five years. I'll also be walking my dogs several times a day so I'd rather ere on the side of caution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul