Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2015, 08:40 PM

5 posts, read 5,094 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to the Twin Cities for a new job in the late spring once I graduate from college, and I am looking for any input on possible areas/neighborhoods to look at for where to live. I will be working in Maplewood, and I am 22 years old/single. Would like to keep rent under $1200/month, and the commute under 45 minutes.

Also, any other input on what life is like in the Twin Cities for a young professional would be appreciated! I've lived my whole life in Michigan (metro Detroit) up to this point, so I am used to the cold but I am not sure what else to expect!

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2015, 06:17 AM

5,752 posts, read 2,792,738 times
Maplewood is a huge suburb, which part are you working in? 3M? Also, what do you like to do?

Old 12-26-2015, 01:42 PM

Yes I will be at 3M. I like some outdoors activities like bike riding and skating in the winter, live music, going to coffee shops. I like hanging out with people around my age/going out.

Old 12-26-2015, 09:49 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,218,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSpartan View Post
Yes I will be at 3M. I like some outdoors activities like bike riding and skating in the winter, live music, going to coffee shops. I like hanging out with people around my age/going out.
You should check out the Gateway State Trail that starts in St. Paul and goes through Maplewood, then ends in Pine Point County Park just north of Stillwater. The historic town of Stillwater on the St. Croix River also offers a lot to explore and do, especially for a small town.

www.traillink.com/trail/gateway=state-trail.aspx.

I also recommend going to a game at the new CHS field in St. Paul, home of the St. Paul Saints baseball team.

There are plenty of live music venues and festivals in the Twin Cities. The City Pages magazine available in most news rack locations will provide plenty of options. Music is plentiful in the region and so is live theater. There are plenty of coffee shops, too. There is a nightclub/music venue named The Myth right in Maplewood proper you might want to check out.

I recommend living in the east metro where your work is to keep the commute reasonable. There should be plenty of options in that price range in Maplewood and most of the east metro area. Also check out options in the nearby city of Roseville, just north of Maplewood. You will still be easily close enough to Minneapolis to visit its attractions, restaurants,culture and nightlife on the weekends without having to travel very far. Unlike so many other "twin city" metros, the two cities' downtowns are just 10 miles apart. (In contrast, Dallas to Fort Worth is about 30 miles, Washington DC to Baltimore is 25 miles and I think Tampa to St. Petersburg is also 25 miles).

Last edited by chessgeek; 12-26-2015 at 10:07 PM..

Old 12-26-2015, 10:19 PM

701 posts, read 1,713,525 times
I'd check out the Highland area of St. Paul.

Old 12-27-2015, 07:54 AM

1,395 posts, read 2,667,210 times
I would also check out Downtown St. Paul, specifically Lowertown. Lots of good things happening in that area and a quick jaunt to the 3M campus.

Old 12-27-2015, 09:41 AM

2,584 posts, read 2,083,628 times
Will you have a car?

Old 12-27-2015, 12:24 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,349,664 times
I'll second the Lowertown area of St. Paul, if a downtown setting interests you. I'd also suggest you look around the area between downtown St. Paul west towards the Mississippi River along Summit/Grand and Selby Avenues. Several colleges around here (Macalester, St. Thomas, St. Kate's , William Mitchell Law and Concordia). The area at Snelling & Selby has a good collection of businesses including Whole Foods, coffee houses, bike shop and bars.
You could also look into the Marcy Holmes area of Minneapolis, which is a worse commute, but close to the river trails and has good access to restaurants and bars in and around dwtn Mpls. It'd probably be easier to live initially in St. Paul (which provides an easier commute) and get to know the cities better.

Old 12-27-2015, 12:59 PM

Thanks all! And Yes I will have a car.

Old 12-27-2015, 07:13 PM

371 posts, read 557,915 times
Check out the facebook page for "Twin Cities Spartans" where they seem to always be making plans to get together and watch MSU games at a local bar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul