Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 12:53 AM

1,669 posts, read 6,234,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfw1979 View Post
I don't know that, but I think once completed it will no longer be the biggest mall in America but in the world...

My husband and I took a bus tour last summer through Mnpls/ St Paul and that is what the tour guide said. I guess right now the biggest mall in the world is in Canada, but will be te MOA after the add ons?

I really love the MOA and miss it so much! And "The Park", formally Camp Snoopy is so much fun for my kids. What a great place to have indoors when a long cold winter sets in...
The Mall of America would need to triple in size to take the biggest in the world title from the South China Mall which opened in 2005.

The West Edmonton Mall in Canada was passed as the largest in the world multiple years ago. It is no longer even in the top 5. The Mall of America is about to fall out of the top 20.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2008, 10:23 PM

489 posts, read 1,914,456 times
Talking Lets look at numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by moving123456 View Post
The Mall of America would need to triple in size to take the biggest in the world title from the South China Mall which opened in 2005.

The West Edmonton Mall in Canada was passed as the largest in the world multiple years ago. It is no longer even in the top 5. The Mall of America is about to fall out of the top 20.

The numbers for the malls are all dependent on what you are considering the largest. If you look at current numbers, MOA is actually 3rd in size of gross leasable area in the nation (19th in the world), behind King of Prussia and South Coast Plaza. However when you consider the actual number of stores MOA is still #1 in the nation. For actual shopping center total area it is of course #2 in North America, #9 in the world.

"Phase II" as it's being called, will bring the gross leasable area from 2.5 to 3.7 (http://www.mallofamericaphase2.com/downloads/23154%20Weber%20(e).pdf - broken link) million square feet, making it the 7th largest in the world, slightly behind West Edmonton, and largest in both number of stores and gross leasable area in the nation. As for the size of the building itself, the total area (area including hotels, the 6,000-seat performing arts venue, ice skating rink, etc...) will go from 4.2 to 9.8 (http://www.mallofamericaphase2.com/downloads/23154%20Weber%20(e).pdf - broken link) million sq ft, making it the largest shopping center in the world.

Of course this is for all the malls that are currently operating in the world. I know a few people are stating that China is opening all these huge malls... yet many don't look into it any further. Many are saying that the malls in China are performing horribly due to many people not being accustomed to having to drive to get to their shopping destination. In fact, in a recent story about South China Mall, currently the largest mall in the world, it is said that "Although the mall opened in 2005, it still suffers from lack of retailers. Much of the retail space remains empty." At least the MOA is a healthy mall.

Last edited by BreaOC; 01-31-2008 at 10:39 PM..

Old 02-01-2008, 02:43 PM

1,202 posts, read 3,450,931 times
New stores coming to MOA this year include, Gilly Hicks, Best Buy, Ruehl No. 925, Papyrus, Geox, Janie and Jack, Lacoste, Levis and Pandora Jewlery

Old 02-07-2008, 09:07 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,009,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
Bloomingdale's seems high-end enough for me. What would people in Minnesota do with a Louis Vuitton, Chanel, or Dior store? I walk past Club Monaco and even that's empty because no one there can afford it.
Come on. Club Monaco is empty mainly because that store in MoA sucks, not because it is too expensive. There aren't many selections there. There are plenty of people in Nordstrom looking at shoes like Dolce & Gabbana or Prada. Once a store only puts its discount items inside, nobody goes there. That is how Neiman Marcus becomes worse and worse in downtown and Nordstrom becomes better and better in MoA.

Old 02-07-2008, 09:12 PM

I think MoA carries a Nordstrom from the very beginning. There is a Chanel boutique long time ago and now it has openned a pretty large Gucci boutique, and though the Macy's in MoA can't be considered high-end, the Macy's in downtown Minneapolis is quite decent in my opinion. There is a Louis Vuitton store. There are counters like David Yurman and TAG Heuer. Bags like Kate Spade and Coach. They carry brands young people like too, such as French Connection, G-Star, Juicy Couture, Miss Sixty/Enegie, 7 for mankind, etc. I would say even the bloomingdales in MoA doesn't have such selections.

Personally I hate MoA two years ago. It is not comparable to downtown Minneapolis yet it attracts customers there. But in recent days MoA is becoming better and better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublesuited77 View Post
Macy as high-end? you must be kidding. My only disappointment after moving to the twin cities was the lack of decent shopping. My wife and I have to take a trip once a quarter to chicago or new york just to go shopping. And I know we aren't the only ones.

Hopefully, a Nordstrom, Barneys or Saks will be included in Phase Two.

Old 02-08-2008, 07:56 AM

13 posts, read 40,794 times
Whatever anyone says, adding on to the MOA (even if you don't go there) is good for Minnesota. We can use all the tourism we can get, and if this brings more people, it will benefit us all. The whole thing is still in the planning stage, and I haven't seen anything that says when construction will start. Has anyone else? I know they are planning more high end stores, and ice-skating rink, and a museum.

Old 02-08-2008, 09:41 AM

But the thing is, MoA advertises so much that it seems you can find anything there, yet it can't pull up that name. People coming to Minnesota would think the Macy's in MoA is the Macy's in Minnesota, but the Macy's in downtown Minneapolis and Ridgedale are way way better. Even the Macy's in Southdale is better than the one in MoA. I think MoA harmed the fashion industry in Minneapolis very seriously. It drew customers there, and then it disapoints them. People don't know whereelse to go since it claims to be the largest. Since MoA opened, many decent stores in downtown Minneapolis closed and they never re-openned, such as Saks Fifth Ave and Ralph Lauren, etc. The stores in MoA used to be all the stores you can find in suburbs. Though it is becoming better, that is too slow to remedy the stores we already lost because of it. There is always some time gap between a store closes elsewhere and then re-opens at MoA. I would hate MoA more and more if it doesn't get the stores back for us very soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolangal View Post
Whatever anyone says, adding on to the MOA (even if you don't go there) is good for Minnesota. We can use all the tourism we can get, and if this brings more people, it will benefit us all. The whole thing is still in the planning stage, and I haven't seen anything that says when construction will start. Has anyone else? I know they are planning more high end stores, and ice-skating rink, and a museum.

Old 04-07-2008, 08:15 PM

Wow went to MOA today and I didnt realize how much work has been done every where since I last visted. Gilly Hicks looks great along with Ruehl Coming Soon next door. I almost wonder if Abercrombie and Fitch would want to buy Williams Sonoma and move its Hollister store to complete this corner.

Old 04-07-2008, 10:03 PM

4,176 posts, read 4,669,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolangal View Post
Aren't they still waiting for more taxpayer money to finance the parking ramp? I thought they needed something like $200m for that alone.

Anyway, with regards to "high-end" stores, I don't think the market can support it. There was a VERY high-end store at Rosedale called Adrienne Vittadini that closed last year. I went in the place once, looking for a gift for my wife. I left when I didn't see a single item for less than $200. Every other time I walked past the place, it was empty of customers.

And whilst this may not exactly be a good example, a number of higher-end stores on Nicollet Mall have closed recently, including Saks and Ralph Lauren. Neiman-Marcus can't be far behind. Now, maybe these stores would've done better at Galleria or even MOA, but to me it points to a lack of support. I wouldn't be totally surprised to see the downtown Macy's close within five years.

Old 04-08-2008, 10:48 AM

I think these higher end stores would have done a lot better at MOA. Then again these stores dont always need to be filled with people being a few purchases means a lot of money. Burberry at MOA was pretty busy when I walked past, but it isnt always. Just because it isnt busy always doesnt mean its going to close. Plus Adrienne Vittandini is a very high end store and they should have never been put in Rosedale. I really dont know what the mall and company where thinking when that store located there. It should have gone in MOA due to that store only locating in higher end malls. It closed because it was a very stupid mistake on their part. If it would have been at MOA I am sure it would have survived. I mean if you really look at MOAs tenant list that is coming its all higher end stores now. People keep saying Minnesota cannot support high end stores, at MOA, Minnesota is not supporting those stores, the world is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul