Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 02:45 AM

489 posts, read 1,915,801 times

Advertisements

Not only does MOA have a VERY nice Nordstrom, but Ridgedale Mall is also getting one. Those high end stores will do very well in Mpls, consider that most of those brands already operate their own stores in local Mpls department stores (ex: Louis Vuitton at Macy's, Gucci at Nordstrom). Also consider that there is a sizable Neiman Marcus downtown, which carries many upscale brands. The Nordstrom at MOA also includes exclusive collections of Armani, Dolce & Gabbana, Burberry, Marc Jacobs, Michael Kors, Mulberry, Roberto Cavalli, among many others, just check their website. The Louis Vuitton store at Macy's on Nicollet quadrupled recently. Minneapolis is a metro of over 3 million people and the MOA attracts millions of visitors annually, and those people expect high end stores. The MOA currently has stores like Burberry, Benetton, Club Monaco, Chanel Boutique, Chloe Boutique, Yves Saint Laurent Boutique, Coach. It's no South Coast Plaza or King of Prussia, but hey for MN it's impressive, and it shows Mpls can support it.

Last edited by BreaOC; 01-26-2008 at 02:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2008, 03:22 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,395,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublesuited77 View Post
Macy as high-end? you must be kidding. My only disappointment after moving to the twin cities was the lack of decent shopping. My wife and I have to take a trip once a quarter to chicago or new york just to go shopping. And I know we aren't the only ones.

Hopefully, a Nordstrom, Barneys or Saks will be included in Phase Two.
Am I the only one who found this post sad?

Old 01-26-2008, 12:59 PM

1,202 posts, read 3,454,290 times
I agree with the people who are saying Minnesota can support these kinds of high end stores. And I did find that post a little bit sad. But Minnesota can easily support these stores. You would think MOA knows what they are doing if they are planning to spend 1.5 billion dollars on the mall. They wouldnt build it to fail. From what I have heard, stores are snatching spaces in phase two even before they have full funding. But people also have to realize phase two is not only high end stores. Its split into more than 6 sections. You have the High End District, Junior District, Club, Movie and Musuem district along with the indoor performing arts venue. Also there is a Home furnishing district, outdoors district and many more different types of stores. Phase two will only have a little bit of high end stores. I bet there will be 25-30 high end stores out of the 500 planned stores. Phase two most likely will be a place for retailers to debut their new concept stores also, not a high end only mall.

Old 01-26-2008, 03:40 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,363,892 times
I also think that people from out of the area assume people from Minnesota can't afford to shop at higher end stores because they don't see them driving around in $100,000 cars and wearing $5000 pants to shop at MOA. Most people in MN are much more laid back and prefer to shop in comfort vs high fashion. I remember talking to my aunt one time and we were talking about shopping. She commented that she would NEVER shop in New York (she lives in NJ) in a 'fabric' coat--only her fur. We all looked at her and wondered why she would waste money on a fur coat. That is the difference I think.

Old 01-26-2008, 03:47 PM

88 posts, read 726,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
I also think that people from out of the area assume people from Minnesota can't afford to shop at higher end stores because they don't see them driving around in $100,000 cars and wearing $5000 pants to shop at MOA. Most people in MN are much more laid back and prefer to shop in comfort vs high fashion. I remember talking to my aunt one time and we were talking about shopping. She commented that she would NEVER shop in New York (she lives in NJ) in a 'fabric' coat--only her fur. We all looked at her and wondered why she would waste money on a fur coat. That is the difference I think.
i get dirty looks and snarls here for wearing high end stuff and driving a expensive car as if its a bad thing.....

Old 01-27-2008, 09:31 AM

97 posts, read 326,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
Am I the only one who found this post sad?
not sure exactly why you think it is sad, however, I definitely do. I am very sad that Minnesotans need to leave the state to do high-end shopping which we easily can afford. We have some of the highest levels of disposable income, but don't have the shopping opportunities comensurate with that.

Old 01-27-2008, 09:31 AM

481 posts, read 1,819,105 times
I think its because the immigration pattern here was of frugal working/middle class Europeans - unlike some other regions where the upper class tagged along to carve out their empires and ended up setting the pace for high living. "Making it" was more like having a lake cabin and a boat, or creating a dream garage instead of owning some luxury goods or imitating the royalty they had fled from (Sweden was particularly bad at the time, and my own German Grandfather left during a famine even though the Prussian Juenkers were making a killing selling rye on the international market at the time). If I remember right as well, Minnesota was actually rather poor up until mid-century. That's when an educated workforce really started making a difference in the economy.

Different sensibilities, I guess, and also some sense of relief they had finally escaped the high-born types? I think its probably just something that's carried through for a few generations, the sense that everyone is middle class, and if you're not you'll either be helped into it or else you'll be snubbed. I'm not trying to introduce class here or anything, but you really can't ignore it either when you're plumbing into history.

Old 01-27-2008, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublesuited77 View Post
not sure exactly why you think it is sad, however, I definitely do. I am very sad that Minnesotans need to leave the state to do high-end shopping which we easily can afford. We have some of the highest levels of disposable income, but don't have the shopping opportunities comensurate with that.

Just because people can afford high end shopping doesn't mean the WANT to do high end shopping. I guess I am a typical MN and don't see the need to waste money on $500 jeans when a $25 pair does the same job. I would rather spend my money on travel and other rewarding things vs a wardrobe.

Old 01-27-2008, 12:09 PM

I should add that I don't mind spending money on good shoes because I need comfortable shoes or I can't walk by the end of the day. Nordstrom carries the brand I like so why go to Chicago to get them?

Old 01-30-2008, 12:10 AM

638 posts, read 3,126,234 times
I think it's sad that a person feels they must leave MN to buy quality goods. But I think it's a comment about the whole country; corporations have merged into huge conglomerates and we now have Macys' coast-to-coast and we've lost our distinctive regional stores like Daytons, etc.

HOWEVER, each store has their own buyers, and I have to agree that the Macys in downtown St. Paul doesn't have the exact same clothing and styles as the Macys in Rosedale or MOA or Ridgedale.

I don't have to buy high end clothing or goods; I buy things that: a.) fit right, b.) make me feel good in them, and c.) are worth the money I spend on them. I've spent "a lot" of money on a pair of slacks, and I've also bought things on clearance from JC Pennys. I think most sensible people here feel as I do: it isn't necessary to spend a lot of money just to look good, we care about comfort first.

I do agree that sometimes people take the "comfort" aspect a little too seriously and they end up looking like slobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul