Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 07:57 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,731,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MplsTodd View Post
How about:

Minneapolis:
Kingfield
Fulton
Armatage
Longfellow

St. Paul:
Highland Park

Suburbs:
Hopkins
St. Louis Park
White Bear Lake (longer commute)
I think this is a good list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2013, 05:50 PM

369 posts, read 634,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
You will find neighborhoods like this in every suburb. I don't think you will have a problem finding what you want here.
I was not necessarily looking just for suburbs. I also wanted to know which neighborhoods in Minneapolis and St. Paul proper fit this description and are recommended. I didn't mean just "urban-ish" neighborhoods in the suburbs, I also meant "suburban-ish" neighborhoods in the urban areas.

Old 11-10-2013, 05:12 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,377,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabitoff View Post
I was not necessarily looking just for suburbs. I also wanted to know which neighborhoods in Minneapolis and St. Paul proper fit this description and are recommended. I didn't mean just "urban-ish" neighborhoods in the suburbs, I also meant "suburban-ish" neighborhoods in the urban areas.
I realize that...just pointing out that you will have 100's of options of places to live. Your biggest hurdle is going to be your budget and that is really going to determine where you end up for the most part.

Old 11-11-2013, 04:58 PM

4 posts, read 4,208 times
We live in Longfellow, and we really love it. We have two small children (2 & 4). We bought our house for $225k in 2009, and like it. It is small, at about 1300 sq feet, but we love the character. I know we looked at probably a hundred houses when we were looking to buy (indecisive!), and I would say there were plenty of good options in the 200-250k range in Longfellow and Nokomis. We also looked in Highland Park, and Mac Groveland, both neighborhoods we would also strongly consider, but houses there were just a bit higher. I love all the parks, and trails in the area. We are always out biking, and walking and running. There are plenty of options for restaurants and coffee places, and a fantastic cheap movie theater (Riverview). I would say our neighborhood is a mix of blue collar empty nesters and young families. I know when I hired my doula for my second child's birth, she said about 90% of her business comes from our neighborhood (and she lived in Stillwater!).
I'm currently researching schools for my son, who will start in Kindergarten next fall. There are a lot of options, some good, some not as good as can be expected in an urban area, but I feel like we have some really good public options. Once I started really looking at test scores (only part of the equation of course!), I felt more confident about our options. There are some good private options as well, some extremely expensive (Minnehaha Academy), and some quite reasonable in my opinion (then again, I pay a ton for center daycare for my kids now, so my perspective may be skewed!).

Old 11-25-2013, 02:44 AM

1,971 posts, read 3,049,113 times
I would suggest Macalester Groveland, Merriam Park East and West, and the Union Park areas of St. Paul. I have seen homes available from $189K to $300K which seem to fit your criteria. Look up the address for Kopplin's coffee and plug that into the real estate sites to see if the homes look acceptable.

In this area you are near a Whole Foods, retro movie theatre, violin repair store, model train store, fancy coffee shop, fancy ice cream, a number of diners, thai, chinese, 'gastropub', three private colleges, art shop, florist, patagonia store, bike lane to the bike path along the river, and so forth. Most neighborhoods in MSP are just a little bit too spread out to comfortably say everything is truly 'walkable,' but I walk everywhere in this area.

As someone else mentioned there is nothing really like Rye or anywhere in Westchester in the Twin Cities metro. However, this area is about as close to a "River Towns" vibe as you are going to get. I know a number of New Yorkers who have moved to this neighborhood and seem to like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul