Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2007, 04:42 PM

120 posts, read 470,970 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to purchase a home in/around this area and the latest data from the city is from 2000. Can anyone update me? Any major changes in the neighbirhood from this data in 2000? Thanks... I'm an urban pioneer....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2007, 06:15 PM

1,936 posts, read 5,835,704 times
Hello again wil45 (hope you're not getting sick of me replying to your posts). If you're truly an "Urban Pioneer", I think the Cleveland neighborhood might disappoint you - a lot of middle-class families living on quiet tree-lined streets adjacent to the parkway, so it might not be as exciting as you'd like . But if you're saying that you would like to live in a neighborhood with both ethnic and socioeconomic diversity, then Cleveland is a good neighborhood to live in- according to that 2000 data it might just be one of the most integrated neighborhoods in the state and/or region (almost equally white and non-white population which I doubt has changed a whole lot). But even with this high level of integration, I would bet to say that the neighborhood itself is probably a little segregrated with a lot more of the white folk on the north and west end of the neighborhood and a lot more non-white persons on the east and south ends.

That 2000 data puts cleveland at having the second highest median household income of the north neighborhoods next to victory (due in part to adjacency to parkway I'm sure), and unless the pricey new townhomes that were built in shingle creek and willard neighborhoods in recent years has made a big impact I would think that cleveland is still one of the higher income earning neighborhoods of the north neighborhoods.

Cleveland neighborhood starts on the block just south of mine so we go for walks through the north part of it a lot. Nice homes and families, like Victory it seems like there are a lot of homes being rehabbed by youngish buyers and a fair number of GLBT homeowners (and sorry for stereotyping, but I've always thought that a large gay homeowner population was a strong indicator of a great neighborhood on the upswing).

Like the rest of the cities, the market has come down quite a bit around here in the past couple of years - a couple of years ago a small bungalow w/ one bath would generally sell for over $200K (in Victory especially and sometimes much more than this)...and still today, depending on the condition of the home and its location in regards to park spaces/ amenities you might still find this same style/ size of house selling for between $180 - $250K; but most likely (unless it's on xerxes, washburn, and maybe Vincent) it will likely sell for $140 - $180K and sometimes higher/ lower depending on condition.

I don't think there's a lot to worry about in Cleveland, when we were looking we were seriously considering some houses just north of Lowry Ave (3200 - 3400 blocks - very southern end of cleveland) as homes were more affordable there, but I am very glad we waited for something in a better location to come up as Lowry Ave west of Penn can be a pretty busy street, and it can be pretty active at night with a restaurant/ bar (great one though - Tootie's on Lowry) and a busy gas station right there. Plus all the ambulance traffic that travels Lowry due to it being a main thoroughfare to North Memorial a couple blocks down.

Although technically I live in the first block north of the Cleveland neighborhood, let me know if you think there might be more questions I could answer for you wil (or if you want me to do a drive- or walk-by of a house for you - haha).

Last edited by Camden Northsider; 11-20-2007 at 06:24 PM..

Old 11-20-2007, 10:00 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,763,988 times
I dunno...a lot of crime seems to be moving towards Cleveland. 36th and Penn is a pretty hot intersection. Dude got shot there mid-day recently and within a few weeks a school bus driver was shot as well. I have this fear/prediction that within 20 years it'll pretty much have engulfed all of Camden and Victory as far as crime goes.

Old 11-21-2007, 02:13 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,565,866 times
I doubt it, you are seeing much heavier influences of Northside crime in the suburbs. Crime in all parts of The City are down, you are basing premonitions on a couple of instances. Camden and Victory have a high rate of home ownership (generally precludes high rates of violence), the big apartment blocks just outside the city limits, by nature, do not.

Old 11-22-2007, 11:27 PM

I agree with Minnehahapolitan on this topic. I think city areas will actually continue to improve as can be seen in areas that have drastically revitalized in South Minneapolis that were once considered very dangerous "hood" areas. I think it is a very interesting time in the US right now as you are seeing some of that reverse flight going on by, in general, younger folks who decide they don't have time to drive to the suburbs and I would guess often times find a lot of suburbs to be a little disconcerting/ strange/ or not for them and their taste.

Nick, I hadn't heard about that on Penn Ave, BUT personally I don't think crimes that happen on a very busy street/ thoroughfare that is the far eastern border of a neighborhood (on one side of the street), and have the only concentrations of apartment complexes in that area, to be representative of the neighborhood (but then if you're on Penn north of Dowling, the houses on the west that overlook crystal lake cemetary, are, in general, beautiful well-kept homes).

I think people have probably been theorizing about crime enveloping/ spreading out in huge geographic areas for years now in various Minneapolis neighborhoods. I don't think this would happen in many areas of Camden, the reasoning primarily being the strong community you find in these neighborhoods - people are active, they love their neighborhoods, and they look out for one another - if something is happening in their neighborhood, they are generally addressing it through their various neighborhood association or neighborhood watch. (2) there is a demand to live in many of these neighborhoods, although that's decreased in the current market and you will now find many homes sitting on the market for months (like most everywhere else), there are some houses that will go in days and the people that move here generally have a knowledge that it's a lot of single-family owner-occupied homes, the area's quiet, and you can't beat it's proximity to miles upon miles of green space. Plus there is a thriving little locally-owned business community and in general good schools.

Plus there are a ton of great things going on in North Mpls proper that so many people are so afraid of. It's the irrational fears/ perceptions/ predictions that get in the way of people seeing the vibrancy and vitality of the area. Are there issues? Yes. One issue that doesn't get brought up a whole lot are absentee landlords that don't maintain their rentals, and when you hear about the foreclosures, a news report showed that over half are wanna-be 'flippers'/ investors that bought homes to do a quick/ shabby flip-job and have been unable to sell their investment.

Old 11-10-2020, 12:38 PM

1 posts, read 1,353 times
Hello!

I know that I am responding to a post that is 13 years ago... Hoping that I can still get a response and hope you still live there.
First of all I really appreciated your in-depth responds and thought of North Minneapolis area. I found it super helping reading forums like this other than just checking with the crime rates and incident report ect..
My husband and I are looking to purchase a new construction with an income restriction on Russell Ave south of Cleveland. I would consider us a middle class young working professionals. We both recently just graduated UMN. The reason that we are looking to buy is simple, we have been renting around the metro area for 6 years now and rent gets higher and higher and higher... When we found the city of Minneapolis is trying to rebuild the community and offering programs like this we were very happy. It almost seems too good to be true, but after a bit of research we realized that we might be looking to purchase "the most expensive house on the block" as you mentioned in 2007.... most of the area houses list around 150K to 250K max.. After 13 years it still seems they worth around the same.... We got a little worried especially family members are very against buying in this location.
The house is perfect for us but we are just worried about the value and the location. Do you mind giving us some insights still...if you are still there...? We would appreciate this so much!

Old 11-11-2020, 10:26 PM

Hi tongx171-- it's really strange that I decided to happen upon C-D for the first time in months (years?) tonight and saw/ stumbled upon your post here. It's also really strange to read my posts from 13 years ago-- that was our first year as homeowners on the Northside and it was right as the Northside was getting hit by the great recession. To be honest-- I cringe a little at some of my commentary back then as it reads very pro-gentrification. At the time I was pretty concerned by the number of empty/vacant homes scattered throughout the Northside due to a MASSIVE number of recession foreclosures-- it felt like people needed to be recruited to maintain overall neighborhood health, and the concept of gentrification really felt much more abstract and highly unlikely at that time as opposed to today's world where it is both a threat and reality....

Anyways-- yes we still live in Victory on the northside and are still very happy and raising kids in our community here. I feel a little less emboldened than I previously was to comment much on specific areas that I don't have experience living in here on the Northside-- the quality of life can vary a lot block-by-block, and there are blocks I may not perceive as 'great' that are likely great places to live with wonderful neighbors.

That being said- I'm not familiar with that specific block of Russell and what life is like there. I think it's kind of cool that it's right next to Lucy Laney and overlooks Cleveland Park there. My family gets most of our groceries at the Penn/Lowry Aldi, shops at Family Dollar next door, North End hardware is our go-to hardware store and Union Liquors our liquor store. Pre-covid we were regulars at Tootie's a few blocks to the west and I regularly went to Laney for a variety of reasons (voting, events, work, etc.). We've also taken walks/bike rides to this area over the years as well. A quick note- the gas station on Lowry that I referenced above has been closed for years and I believe is now slated for redevelopment.

In all of our interactions with this area, we've never encountered any issues. It's actually a pretty walkable area if that's a priority for you, but the flip side of that walkability is that it's close to a pretty busy intersection of two thoroughfares-- with that you'll like experience a lot more traffic in the general vicinity. Regarding crime or general quality of life-- this is something that would be best left to checking out crime maps, talking to neighbors, or even going to the block at different times of the day to gauge how quiet it is. Like a lot of cities/neighborhoods, the Northside has been seeing an uptick in crime during this pandemic, so you should definitely come into any home purchase situation knowing that it's an urban area that is both beautiful (people, community spirit/connectedness, parks/landscape etc.) and complex. That complexity sometimes manifests in issues relative to local crime and poverty. For instance- the 'hotspot' referenced above at 36th & Penn continues to have its struggles 13 years later. That being said- I have friends within a 3 block radius of the house you're looking at that have lived there for years and love their community.

Best of luck with your decision and home purchase- maybe we'll cross paths someday in the future!

Old 11-13-2020, 08:44 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,381,304 times
This topic really harkens back to a time when this message board was filled with helpful information about neighborhoods, intersections and general real estate advice. It’s good to hear from you again Camden. I’m glad to hear you are still living on the northside and enjoying life there.

Regarding gentrification - I think a balance can be struck where investment in an area can help improve housing stock and quality of life without getting to the point of pricing out long-time residents and drastically changing the character of the neighborhood. The northside has come a long way in the last 10-15 years and I do think this trend will continue in the coming years. It hasn’t gotten expensive there yet, but I think the days of being able to find a move-in ready home for sub-150k are probably long gone.

Last edited by Cruz Azul Guy; 11-13-2020 at 08:54 AM..

Old 11-19-2020, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
This topic really harkens back to a time when this message board was filled with helpful information about neighborhoods, intersections and general real estate advice. It’s good to hear from you again Camden. I’m glad to hear you are still living on the northside and enjoying life there.

Regarding gentrification - I think a balance can be struck where investment in an area can help improve housing stock and quality of life without getting to the point of pricing out long-time residents and drastically changing the character of the neighborhood. The northside has come a long way in the last 10-15 years and I do think this trend will continue in the coming years. It hasn’t gotten expensive there yet, but I think the days of being able to find a move-in ready home for sub-150k are probably long gone.
Agreed, and good to hear from you too Cruz- are you still over South? It really was a pretty lively forum with a lot interesting personalities back in the day. I sometimes thought it'd be fun to have an MSP forum BBQ or something... before realizing no one would ever show up for something like that LOL.

I was happy, however, to see that the legend of Rosemount was still being told by old-timers when I stumbled onto this thread a few years back : https://www.city-data.com/forum/minn...keville-2.html

Old 11-20-2020, 07:35 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,381,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camden Northsider View Post
Agreed, and good to hear from you too Cruz- are you still over South? It really was a pretty lively forum with a lot interesting personalities back in the day. I sometimes thought it'd be fun to have an MSP forum BBQ or something... before realizing no one would ever show up for something like that LOL.

I was happy, however, to see that the legend of Rosemount was still being told by old-timers when I stumbled onto this thread a few years back : https://www.city-data.com/forum/minn...keville-2.html
We moved across the freeway to Southwest Minneapolis in 2014, but I still consider myself a Southsider. We love our new neighborhood. It isn’t quite up to Rosemount standards, but I’d say it’s pretty close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul