Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 11:31 PM

1 posts, read 8,461 times

Advertisements

Hello Friends,
This is Mayank here.
The incident happened in County of Anoka on a 50mph speed limit road
I got a speeding ticket for driving on 55 on 50 road. The office asked me why did I stopped you I said I might be driving on 55 but he told I was well over 60. Then he handed me a ticket which stated 55 and the speed limit is 50.

I am not afraid of paying the fine but I already had 1 speeding ticket on me and my insurance is pretty high.

Well is there anybody who can let me know if I get the points for this speeding violation and it will affect my insurance again.

Also should I contest this ticket? What is the procedure.

Please help me

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2013, 11:14 AM

1,072 posts, read 2,918,262 times
go see a hearing officer. normally you can either get a lower fine, take a defensive driving course or do community service. i cant remember, but i think if you take defensive driving, they erase the points. can anyone confirm?

Old 10-18-2013, 11:17 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,259,761 times
The first thing you should do is have your speedometer checked if the officer told you the speed was over 60.
After that make a call and see if you can work out something to keep this off of your record.

Old 10-18-2013, 12:07 PM

10 posts, read 19,964 times
In the future, never admit to speeding when an officer pulls you over. When he asks if you know why he pulled you over, your answer is

I don't know.

That's it. Because by admitting to going 55, you've removed your ability to fight the ticket by saying that the officer pulled over the wrong car, or that his gun was miscalibrated, etc.

Old 10-20-2013, 11:51 PM

413 posts, read 764,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daboywonder2002 View Post
go see a hearing officer. normally you can either get a lower fine, take a defensive driving course or do community service. i cant remember, but i think if you take defensive driving, they erase the points. can anyone confirm?

This. Often times you'll have to pay the same fine, but they'll suspend the ticket and if you don't get another in a year, and then it's like it never happened. It worked for me. Might be different if you already have something on your record though.

Old 10-25-2013, 09:44 AM

3,941 posts, read 14,718,728 times
You were probably going 60 and he knocked it down to 55 for you. Usually speeding tickets at 5 over will not go on your insurance.

Old 10-27-2013, 05:15 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,278,175 times
There's another way to keep the speeding ticket off your record. However, it will depend on where you got the speeding ticket. Some cities in the twin cities metro area allow you to pay double the fine, when you pay more, the ticket does not go on your driving record. The violation stays off your record as long as you don't get another speeding ticket within a year. Some police departments don't like it because when they run a check on a driver, they can't see the past violation record. I've seen this story more than once on the local television news.

Old 11-01-2013, 06:39 PM

1,617 posts, read 5,675,956 times
OP, read this: Speeding Laws in Minnesota

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
You were probably going 60 and he knocked it down to 55 for you. Usually speeding tickets at 5 over will not go on your insurance.
Not true, except if the speed limit is either 55 or 60 MPH. From the above-linked page:

1. Dimler Amendment: A law adopted in 1986, called the Dimler amendment (its author was former Minnesota Representative Chuck Dimler), determines which speeding violations are recorded on the DL record. The Minnesota Department of Public Safety maintains the record. Speeding violations are do not go on the DL record if:

* 10 mph above the speed limit (or less) in a 55 m.p.h. zone; or
* 5 mph above the speed limit (or less) in a 60 m.p.h. zone.

The prohibition on recording a violation on the DL record doesn't apply if the speed limit certified is 65 or 70 mph. The Dimler amendment provisions do not apply if the speeding violation is certified to have occurred in a commercial motor vehicle or if the driver has a commercial DL (class A, B, or C). Minn. Stat. § 171.12, subd. 6. Gallagher has heard of a case where it did not work for an person with a DL from another State. Works for Minnesota licensed drivers.

Old 11-11-2013, 10:41 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,293,021 times
This is why I avoid driving through MN though I have heard people say they flew at near 80 through the whole state without a ticket. One saving grace for south dakotans is they seem to like to go fast... 85 on the interstate is fairly routine and doesn't result in tickets.

In eastern WI where I used to live people drive like in Chicago.. they basically ignore the speed limits... people passing me doing 55 in a 35, for example. Some roads for what it's worth are simply given speed limits that are too low.. people do use common sense in this regard.

Old 11-14-2013, 07:11 AM

2,860 posts, read 3,388,147 times
That's what radars are for. Mine has saved me a few times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul