Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 09:14 PM

242 posts, read 856,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbaker41 View Post
I'm a little late to this thread but wanted to give my example and use this post as my first on these forums. My wife and I graduated in May, 2013, both with Bachelor's in Management Information Systems from Utah State University (non-LDS btw). We moved to Utah in 2009 to attend school and live up there temporarily for 4 years with the intention to move back to southern California or somewhere else after graduating. We had researched pretty early on after moving to Utah where we would like to settle down for the rest of our lives, and our criteria best fit with Minnesota.

Fast forward to 5 months ago and we moved into a rental house in Apple Valley with her parents who also moved from southern California at the same time. I transferred my part time job at FedEx Ground out to the Mahtomedi Hub which was a good 35 minute drive every day for 12 hours a week of work. Her Dad was working at a job where he could live anywhere so they were able to move out with us so we could all help each other.

My wife and I decided to take two weeks to relax before starting to apply for positions and once that two weeks was up we began the process of applying. My wife applied to maybe five places, two of which were not even advertised and was hired within 3 weeks of us moving out to Minnesota with a full time salaried position using her degree. At the same time, I had also been contacted by two of the places I applied to and had several phone screenings and in-person interviews which did not work out for me. At least I was getting interviews already though, which told me that the market in the Twin Cities was pretty good. While working at FedEx, I continued applying to positions and making adjustments to my resume and cover letters as needed. I ended up going to around 7 or 8 interviews, with at least 4-5 phone screenings in between that didn't lead to face-to-face interviews.

By the end of August, I decided to leave my notice at FedEx as I was not making much after driving 60 miles round trip five times a week for a small amount of hours weekly of work. About 5 weeks after leaving FedEx, I finally found my dream job which I was not expecting to get and I start next week. The week I found my job, I also had two other promising interviews and this one kind of fell in my lap out of nowhere which was amazing. So all-in-all, I would say we were really fortunate for my wife to have gotten a position so quickly and for me, especially in these times, I found work after a decent amount time.

I think with persistence and some luck, and the way the economy is in Minnesota, it shouldn't take too long to find employment, even in a targeted area. Of course everyones situation is different, but my wife and I had very limited experience in our field's of study and were able to find employment and are now grossing $84k together at 23 and 26 years old after making around $12k a year in Utah together working part time.

I'm so glad to hear that a fellow Utahn is doing well here! Tomorrow I've got my second interview since I moved here approximately 3 weeks ago. Monday I have the 3rd. I've had a few other phone calls regarding applications that I filled out but they didn't work out as far as pay is concerned. I don't typically like to address pay before the interview because some people clam up but I had a hunch this company couldn't meet what I was requesting. I'm glad I did because we weren't even in the same ballpark!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2013, 09:33 PM

21 posts, read 19,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorderGirl View Post
I'm so glad to hear that a fellow Utahn is doing well here! Tomorrow I've got my second interview since I moved here approximately 3 weeks ago. Monday I have the 3rd. I've had a few other phone calls regarding applications that I filled out but they didn't work out as far as pay is concerned. I don't typically like to address pay before the interview because some people clam up but I had a hunch this company couldn't meet what I was requesting. I'm glad I did because we weren't even in the same ballpark!
Thanks! What part of Utah?

Old 11-26-2013, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbaker41 View Post
Thanks! What part of Utah?

Salt Lake City!

I also just wanted to add that after two months of being here I have two job offers! Pretty exciting!

Old 11-28-2013, 08:30 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,781,359 times
If you don't mind me asking in regards to pay was it more than slc?! My husband warns to transfer but would need a good increase in salary as he has his masters and a whole slew of other "stuff" now so I'm wondering how msp fares in regards to salary?

Old 11-29-2013, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minntoaz View Post
If you don't mind me asking in regards to pay was it more than slc?! My husband warns to transfer but would need a good increase in salary as he has his masters and a whole slew of other "stuff" now so I'm wondering how msp fares in regards to salary?

No, I am not going to be earning very much more than Utah. However, I do not think that is the norm. I had many job interviews that were paying more than the offer I received but after two months I'm kind of tired of waiting around. I only have a bachelors degree and my past experience is pretty focused so I think that's why my earnings aren't as high as they could be. I'll get settled into this job and keep looking for my fit. If you don't mind sharing your husband's industry I might be able to shed more light on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul