Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 12:02 AM

442 posts, read 541,698 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at MN job postings for the DNR and other departments. I'm graduating from my Uni in KY in 5 months and would love to move to the Land of 10,000 Lakes with a better job than retail lined up (I'm moving in with the lady). Has anyone on here applied and gotten a state job from out of state? Any input on the process? Tips?

I live, breathe, eat, and sleep MN and have since I first discovered the state. I fell in love with the place and people. It's home away from home and if I don't end up in The Cities, Duluth, Fargo-Moorhead or any of the other places I found myself to LOVE there, I won't be too pleased with myself. My girlfriend currently lives in Minneapolis and I'm hoping to find a job in the metro but would consider the snowy commute to St. Cloud or western Wisconsin if it were ever necessary. My passion for the Twin Cities is unmatched (who else can support the Timberwolves and be hopeful through an entire season?) and to get a state job in MN would be amazing.

My particular field is environmental sciences and geography but I also hold the skills to do GIS work as well as limited forestry and office work. I've got a diverse course load and a work history that ranges from data processing to factory labor. I've got experience in writing up reports, data collection (in treacherous weather in bad neighborhoods, at that. Think Detroit at 10 below) and possess most requirements except for the "two years experience" in most of the postings including many of the "preferred qualifications".

Do I have a shot? Any tips? Tales? Experiences? I want to work for the state because the jobs look to pay pretty well and because the hours and locations are perfect. Upon coming to MN I vouch to do everything I can in order to better the community in which I land.

Thank you all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2011, 03:41 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,418,279 times
Getting a job with the state is very difficult. It usually is a case where you have to know someone to get in. I would say that the DNR jobs I've seen posted with the state are very low paying for the cost of living here but if you are thinking northern MN for a job you could get by. I think you might be better off applying with the Federal Government through the USAjobs site. There seems to be more openings for what you are looking at.

Old 12-23-2011, 09:55 PM

I'm not trying to move to a house right away. I'll be splitting rent in a $6-700 1br apartment if my job is within an hour of the cities. I own my car outright and it is reliable.

The jobs I'm looking at range from 15-19$ an hour. I grew up in a family of four that lived comfortably in a similarly priced area for $27,000 a year.

Old 12-24-2011, 05:21 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,418,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homiej View Post
I'm not trying to move to a house right away. I'll be splitting rent in a $6-700 1br apartment if my job is within an hour of the cities. I own my car outright and it is reliable.

The jobs I'm looking at range from 15-19$ an hour. I grew up in a family of four that lived comfortably in a similarly priced area for $27,000 a year.
If you can pay $300/month in rent you should be ok. You would never make it here on $27,000 for a family of 4 "comfortably" though. At $27,000 for a family of 4 you would qualify for all kind of government assistance programs. For a single person sharing an apartment you could get buy on that though.

Old 12-24-2011, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
If you can pay $300/month in rent you should be ok. You would never make it here on $27,000 for a family of 4 "comfortably" though. At $27,000 for a family of 4 you would qualify for all kind of government assistance programs. For a single person sharing an apartment you could get buy on that though.
You find ways, surprisingly. Not everyone lives in a $100k+ house. We also were fortunate enough to have health insurance, etc. (which comes along with any government job). My point of that is that I'm used to getting by on the bare minimums and grew up with less than many people do these days. A $15 an hour job would be more than enough for me. My girlfriend is currently getting by on less.

I'm lucky, also, to have no student loan debt and a high amount of savings.

Old 12-24-2011, 11:47 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,787,929 times
It can be tough, but I think I think in some ways you may have an easier time with the government agencies than with the private sector. Unless you're coming in at a higher level or with specialized skills or working with a recruiter it's been my experience that it's tough to get a job from out of state. The government, though, seems to be far more open. Don't forget to also check out the federal jobs as well as some of the offerings at the county or city level. You certainly have a shot, although of course there are also many other people also looking for decent jobs in the field. Any way you can spin your educational experiences or jobs to count towards the "two years experience" requirement?

$15-19/hr as a new graduate (and especially since you're in a two-income household) will give you a comfortable quality of life. If you start adding kids to the equation your costs will go up dramatically (especially as daycare around here is quite expensive), but you sound like you have your finances in order and have realistic expectations.

If you don't get a job in your ideal field lined up before you get here, you could also look into paid internships. You could still pay the bills if you took on a part-time paid internship supplemented by a retail job (which do seem pretty easy to obtain these days, even if the pay isn't great), make your MN contacts and gain some experience that way, and be primed to get a government job at some point. Or apply for seasonal jobs to get your foot in the door.

Old 12-24-2011, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
It can be tough, but I think I think in some ways you may have an easier time with the government agencies than with the private sector. Unless you're coming in at a higher level or with specialized skills or working with a recruiter it's been my experience that it's tough to get a job from out of state. The government, though, seems to be far more open. Don't forget to also check out the federal jobs as well as some of the offerings at the county or city level. You certainly have a shot, although of course there are also many other people also looking for decent jobs in the field. Any way you can spin your educational experiences or jobs to count towards the "two years experience" requirement?

$15-19/hr as a new graduate (and especially since you're in a two-income household) will give you a comfortable quality of life. If you start adding kids to the equation your costs will go up dramatically (especially as daycare around here is quite expensive), but you sound like you have your finances in order and have realistic expectations.

If you don't get a job in your ideal field lined up before you get here, you could also look into paid internships. You could still pay the bills if you took on a part-time paid internship supplemented by a retail job (which do seem pretty easy to obtain these days, even if the pay isn't great), make your MN contacts and gain some experience that way, and be primed to get a government job at some point. Or apply for seasonal jobs to get your foot in the door.
Of course. You've covered most of the options I'm considering. Even if I cannot get a federal or state job I'd likely apply for a position in the city supplemented by an internship. I possibly may even take a few graduate courses at The U if they'd accept me (though that's difficult).

I definitely could spin for at least 1 year of "experience" due to my heavy research-oriented course load at UK.

One thing I'd forgotten about was county jobs! I skipped over those completely forgetting that Kentucky wasn't the only state with strong county governments.

As for finances, I wasn't expecting to be able to afford college until a miracle happened when I was 17. I can get by on less than most people, even the average college student. I'm fine, money wise. I grew up in the bowels of Appalachia. We didn't have cable until I was 14 and broadband internet didn't come until after I left for college.

Old 12-24-2011, 01:28 PM

Also, does anyone know any urban nonprofits or other organizations that offer internships/jobs relating to transit, planning, GIS, neighborhood development, etc.?

Old 12-26-2011, 01:22 PM

6,620 posts, read 16,623,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homiej View Post
Of course. You've covered most of the options I'm considering. Even if I cannot get a federal or state job I'd likely apply for a position in the city supplemented by an internship. I possibly may even take a few graduate courses at The U if they'd accept me (though that's difficult).

I definitely could spin for at least 1 year of "experience" due to my heavy research-oriented course load at UK.

One thing I'd forgotten about was county jobs! I skipped over those completely forgetting that Kentucky wasn't the only state with strong county governments.

As for finances, I wasn't expecting to be able to afford college until a miracle happened when I was 17. I can get by on less than most people, even the average college student. I'm fine, money wise. I grew up in the bowels of Appalachia. We didn't have cable until I was 14 and broadband internet didn't come until after I left for college.
Try the city websites (Mpls, St Paul) for their job openings also. Also, the Metropolitan Council. They are all major employers. But unfortunately, this is not a good time to be looking for work in the public sector. There is downsizing and hiring freezes going on. Keep in mind, to, all you need is one job! Good luck.

Old 12-26-2011, 03:18 PM

I actually heard back from a private position I applied for... looks like I may be working after all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul