Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 04:42 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,443,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by homiej View Post
You find ways, surprisingly. Not everyone lives in a $100k+ house. We also were fortunate enough to have health insurance, etc. (which comes along with any government job). My point of that is that I'm used to getting by on the bare minimums and grew up with less than many people do these days. A $15 an hour job would be more than enough for me. My girlfriend is currently getting by on less.

I'm lucky, also, to have no student loan debt and a high amount of savings.
Actually, with interest rates what they are, you might pay less for a mortgage payment on a $100,000+ house (if you can find one) then you will for renting an apartment pretty much anywhere in the metro area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2011, 05:42 PM

442 posts, read 541,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Actually, with interest rates what they are, you might pay less for a mortgage payment on a $100,000+ house (if you can find one) then you will for renting an apartment pretty much anywhere in the metro area.
Well, I want to get past any probationary period (the position I was accepted for has a period of 6 months) and I won't begin it until my girlfriend is 5 months into her lease... so... just enough time to look for one! I've actually been thinking about that. I grew up as the son of a carpenter, coal miner, and construction work and along with my 17 year old brother, completed a new addition to our house at age 14 that demolishes the quality of anything you'll find in a McMansion (short, I'm a bit of a handyman).

I was thinking about getting a place a few blocks from where her family lives in Northeast as there are some sub-100k properties that just need a little TLC and elbow grease when the time comes.

WOO!

I've still got to have a background check clear and pass a drug test once I'm up there and ready to begin, but since I've never done a drug in my life and my criminal record is spotless, looks like I'm a Minnesotan.

****. Yes.

Old 12-27-2011, 09:12 AM

228 posts, read 666,642 times
The position that you accepted - was that an internship? My bf graduated from Wisconsin in June with a GIS/Cartography/Geography degree and has had absolutely no success landing a job in the Twin Cities area for GIS. We are going to rework his resume in the next few days and I have a good connection who will help me get his resume out to the right folks, but he can't get anything, despite being a mature student who got good work experience for the state (WI) during his degree. Only potential issue is that he is not a US citizen but is a permanent resident with full work rights. I don't know if that is an issue or what, but this is extremely frustrating. Cripes, he couldn't even get a part-time position doing GIS and office work for the City of Eagan!

Old 12-27-2011, 09:33 AM

534 posts, read 1,174,463 times
Looking for a government job at any level usually takes time, but that's especially true in this economy. There are a lot of people trying to get on board right now because of the lack of opportunities/cutbacks in the private sector. And at the same time, government agencies are being slashed and cut because of the whole political outcry over "big" government (though in 25 years of gov't service, I have never worked for an agency that was overflowing with money or resources, so that must be in some other part of the government ).

The best ways to get a foot in the gov't door seem to be as another posted already suggested: internships or seasonal programs. That's how you become a "known quantity" with the folks who will eventually be doing the hiring when a permanent slot opens up. Lots of seasonal stuff out there and now is the right time to start looking for the postings, especially for DNR/outdoor-related jobs. I can't speak to state jobs, but federally, check out USAJobs and look specifically at agencies like the Forest Service, Park Service, USGS, etc.

Good luck.

Old 12-27-2011, 09:39 AM

391 posts, read 662,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homiej View Post
Well, I want to get past any probationary period (the position I was accepted for has a period of 6 months) and I won't begin it until my girlfriend is 5 months into her lease... so... just enough time to look for one! I've actually been thinking about that. I grew up as the son of a carpenter, coal miner, and construction work and along with my 17 year old brother, completed a new addition to our house at age 14 that demolishes the quality of anything you'll find in a McMansion (short, I'm a bit of a handyman).
One thing to consider is that you will probably need 2 years of steady employment to qualify for a mortgage (at least a traditional one).

Old 12-27-2011, 12:25 PM

228 posts, read 666,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenaroundabit View Post

The best ways to get a foot in the gov't door seem to be as another posted already suggested: internships or seasonal programs. That's how you become a "known quantity" with the folks who will eventually be doing the hiring when a permanent slot opens up. Lots of seasonal stuff out there and now is the right time to start looking for the postings, especially for DNR/outdoor-related jobs. I can't speak to state jobs, but federally, check out USAJobs and look specifically at agencies like the Forest Service, Park Service, USGS, etc.

Good luck.
Boyfriend isn't eligible for federal jobs as he isn't a citizen (although he is currently eligible to apply for citizenship as he has lived here for more than 5 years and that is something to be done in the New Year). Most internships are also for those who are just about to graduate from school or who are between their junior and senior years.

It does look like there are a few good positions on the state website now - see what happens. It is just frustrating to have him applying to openings in the last 6 months living in the state and someone from out of state finding a job with no problem! ( not to diminish the original poster's success which was an excellent result in this economy)

Old 12-27-2011, 08:29 PM

442 posts, read 541,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sondra_finchley View Post
Boyfriend isn't eligible for federal jobs as he isn't a citizen (although he is currently eligible to apply for citizenship as he has lived here for more than 5 years and that is something to be done in the New Year). Most internships are also for those who are just about to graduate from school or who are between their junior and senior years.

It does look like there are a few good positions on the state website now - see what happens. It is just frustrating to have him applying to openings in the last 6 months living in the state and someone from out of state finding a job with no problem! ( not to diminish the original poster's success which was an excellent result in this economy)
My job land is in the private sector... The company is famous for tape

Old 12-28-2011, 07:46 AM

455 posts, read 1,117,837 times
Come to Minnesota. You have a the passion for wanting to do ecology based work and want to be here, so go for it. Don't let naysayers like the golf girl moderator detract from your dreams. Her past posts are reflection of a person with very materialistic values.

Minnesota isn't California, therefore it isn't actually swarming with people who want to live here. If you want to move to MN, do it. Since you have the will, you will find the way.

Old 12-28-2011, 10:01 AM

200 posts, read 505,681 times
Welcome! I just moved here from KY three months ago. I'm a retail manager though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul