Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 01:55 PM

7 posts, read 49,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidniteBreeze View Post
I left for a while when I was in my 20's, mostly just seeking something "different." As I got older, though, I realized that the grass isn't necessarily greener and anywhere you go will have its advantages and disadvantages.

I like where I am now, though (small town northern MN). It's pretty, peaceful, safe and it's not outrageously expensive to live here (though it did take my husband almost 3 years to find a job in his field.) Now that we're "established" though, I don't see us going anywhere for a long time. Sure, there are things about MN that annoy me and I still need to "get out" on vacation a couple times a year...but it's home
Everyone always returns to Minnesota I am thinking of traveling also and eventually move back here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2007, 03:32 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,239,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidniteBreeze View Post
I left for a while when I was in my 20's, mostly just seeking something "different." As I got older, though, I realized that the grass isn't necessarily greener and anywhere you go will have its advantages and disadvantages.
Same here. Moved away to the southeast and experienced living in 4 other major metro areas of 3 different states. I am now working on getting myself back to MN.

Old 10-23-2007, 05:01 PM

20 posts, read 122,323 times
Default Leaving MN

We've lived in MN for 30 plus years and would continue to live here but......our grown children have moved to Austin,TX and San Francisco for their jobs so we're retiring to Prescott. AZ which is in between those locations. MN may not have the best weather at times but it's a great place to raise a family, wonderful cultural diversity, and good opportunities for work and education. Housing can be found in all price ranges and I think there is something to be said for midwestern values.

Old 10-25-2007, 10:07 PM

113 posts, read 550,173 times
We are moving out due to a job change. I am leaving reluctantly. I've also lived abroad and in Illinois (outside of Chicago) and I agree that Minnesotans can be hard to develop friendships with -- and I grew up here. I'm looking forward to shorter winters and better housing costs. I will desperately miss the North Shore and the many lakes.

Old 10-26-2007, 02:22 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,062,004 times
If my house ever sells.....and today that means I may live here till I die. I'm leaving.

Going somewhere with lower taxes and warm weather. I'm bound and determined to never shovel, rake, or mow again. I will love living somewhere I can enjoy outside! I will miss the people in MN.

Old 10-26-2007, 09:45 AM

2,885 posts, read 1,988,658 times
I am a Minnesota transplant of 30+ years, and though I recently considered moving to another city in the Pacific NW, I started reflecting and found that, to me, there are few cities as appealing as the Twin Cities, and the state itself is inviting. There is a lot of beauty in the Twin Cities, as well as much culture with all the universities and theater; life is EASY here. I have never had to wait for any kind of service needed, whether it be home improvement, scheduling doctor and hair appointments, and even the traffic is mild compared to other cities. It takes only one-half hour and you are out in the country; you can even smell the aromas of the country on some summer days in the city; most neighborhoods are very quiet.

Because of this ease, though, you wil find some people quite unaware especially when it comes to their driving. They don't even bother looking at times and will turn right in front of you, whereas in larger cities you have to be aware every minute, which can be stressful and exhausting, but has its advantages. A friend from another state calls Minnesota the state of the Lotus Eaters from the mythological story: ("Lotus: The fruit consumed by the lotus eaters. The lotus creates a state of mind in those who eat it which erases all goals, all memory of home, all desire to do anything except to continue to consume the lotus") and, as well, Tennyson's description in his poem of the same name: ("In the afternoon they came unto a land in which it seemed always afternoon").

Old 10-26-2007, 10:36 AM

571 posts, read 2,531,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillietta View Post
I am a Minnesota transplant of 30+ years, and though I recently considered moving to another city in the Pacific NW, I started reflecting and found that, to me, there are few cities as appealing as the Twin Cities, and the state itself is inviting. There is a lot of beauty in the Twin Cities, as well as much culture with all the universities and theater; life is EASY here. I have never had to wait for any kind of service needed, whether it be home improvement, scheduling doctor and hair appointments, and even the traffic is mild compared to other cities. It takes only one-half hour and you are out in the country; you can even smell the aromas of the country on some summer days in the city; most neighborhoods are very quiet.

Because of this ease, though, you wil find some people quite unaware especially when it comes to their driving. They don't even bother looking at times and will turn right in front of you, whereas in larger cities you have to be aware every minute, which can be stressful and exhausting, but has its advantages. A friend from another state calls Minnesota the state of the Lotus Eaters from the mythological story: ("Lotus: The fruit consumed by the lotus eaters. The lotus creates a state of mind in those who eat it which erases all goals, all memory of home, all desire to do anything except to continue to consume the lotus") and, as well, Tennyson's description in his poem of the same name: ("In the afternoon they came unto a land in which it seemed always afternoon").

I think that's true (the Lotus thing)! After having lived in other places, MN does have that sort of "Pleasantville" feeling about it. Everyone's just kind of happily plodding along, content with the fact that they can put food on the table and there's a pretty good chance that they'll get out fishing this weekend. Not that there aren't problems here...but yeah, it can get kind of boring at times. I think that's one big reason (aside from the weather) that young pepole tend to leave, looking for more "excitement", but then return when it's time to "settle down".

Old 10-27-2007, 05:05 PM

32 posts, read 101,272 times
Question Wonderful Cultural Diversity?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoni View Post
We've lived in MN for 30 plus years and would continue to live here but......our grown children have moved to Austin,TX and San Francisco for their jobs so we're retiring to Prescott. AZ which is in between those locations. MN may not have the best weather at times but it's a great place to raise a family, wonderful cultural diversity, and good opportunities for work and education. Housing can be found in all price ranges and I think there is something to be said for midwestern values.
"Wonderful cultural diversity?" You are talking about MN, right?!?!?!

Old 10-28-2007, 08:59 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,258,266 times
I actually moved out of Minnesota three months ago. Even though there have been moments since that I missed the place (or gasp, thought about moving back); I quickly remind myself as to why I moved in the first place.

I had(have) many reasons for leaving the state but a few that are not too personal (or honestly, weird) are:

-It's just not the same place. Ten years ago I fell in love with Minneapolis. I saw a ton of opportunities that where not available for me in California and I was actually excited about life and my future in general. Then things changed. I'm not exactly sure how, but nothing was the same anymore. All of my hopes and dreams that I originally had just sort of disappeared and I felt as though my life was on a treadmill-going nowhere. Yes, I could have stayed and made the most of it, but....

-I wanted to live by the ocean again. Lake Superior could have satisfied this, but I missed the salt air (does wonders for the sinus) and the smell of brine. I also wanted actual mountains to hike, camp in and to snowboard on.

-Minnesota Nice. This topic has been covered many times elsewhere so there is no need for me to discuss it here. Simply put, though, I can't stand it. I find Minnesota Nice to be Minnesota Annoying. So I moved away from it.

-I am a West Coaster, a native California kid. My attitude, personality, and way of doing things tend to clash with those who are born and raised Midwesterners. I felt as though I was constantly misunderstood and generally just felt like I was out of place.

-I was tired of being around people who tried to please you all the time, or who went out of their way just to not offend me. Please, just say what is on your mind. Being straight forward is the best policy, well not to a Minnesotan, where being straight forward makes you an a***ole.

-Minnesotans are the worst drivers that I have ever seen. If you think that I am bs'ing here just go to a truckstop and ask any trucker which state has the worst drivers.......

I could keep going, but here's two that fall into the "weird" catagory.

-Manhole covers. Ok, these things need to either be placed in the center of the lane or on the median-NOT in the spot where your tires will run over them. I have an issue with this because for some unknown reason, manhole covers in this city are INDENTED instead of being flush with the pavement like they should be. There are already far too many potholes as it is, now the city throws more man made ones at the drivers. Sheesh!

-Traffic lights. There are FAR TOO MANY OF THEM! Seriously, there is a traffic light like every two blocks. WHY? On top of that, every single one of them is on a timer. That makes absolutely zero sense.

Old 10-28-2007, 09:51 AM

20 posts, read 122,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzak1972 View Post
"Wonderful cultural diversity?" You are talking about MN, right?!?!?!
Yes, I AM talking about MN!!!!! A dinner at our home often looks like the United Nations. We have made friends from all over the world...Germany, Japan, China, Korea, France, Israel, Iran, Switzerland, and more. Our now grown boys while attending the U of MN also had friends from all over the world. Being open to other cultures traditions and beliefs is such a learning experience and an opportunity to enjoy some great traditional meals of their homeland!

We've traveled to other countries and never had any trouble making new friendships. I think people who complain about that need to try harder or try new places. A simple conversation anywhere can open the door to a new friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul